Notice to Airmen flying to Istanbul

I just made my first landing at Istanbul Atatürk airport (LTBA).

It seems that when FSX ATC hands me off to Yesilkoy approach on 120.50 it tunes you into ATIS and you can't get out of it.

So you'll be stuck flying the apporach on your own, which is fine, but then you can't tune the tower frequency even if you have it as the default ATC expects you to contact approach before you can contact the tower.

So I landed without ATC or tower, only I narrowly avoided an Airbus that was about to position himself for takeoff.

i also had a problem with the ILS for RW 06. Didn't seem to lock on.

So be careful out there boys.

Could you not manually tune using the frequency given in the Map-Airport Options display?

I manually tuned the tower, but the problem is FSX ATC won't let you contact it. If I change the frequency the only option that I get is to tune Yesilkoy approach, and if I tune Yesilkoy approach again I get ATIS, no option to contact the tower.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a similar issue over south England a few years ago. Center had the same frequency as an ATIS in the area. And when Center told me to switch to another frequency I couldn't respond because ATIS was blocking the frequency.

Managed to find a freeware airport editor and change the frequency of the colliding ATIS transmitter.