A New Venture - Genair

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Rosario Very nice pictures. Especially love the black and whites.

[update]

To help the company grow into a massive worldwide business I decided to start a subsidary of Genair to handle the heavy work to major airports. This way Genair can continue focusing on delivery into remote areas while the company expands. The brand is Orbix Cargo and we moved the ERJ-145XR to the brand as well as purchased a new (to us) 757. I was able to pick up the 757 from Capital Cargo for a steal and couldn't pass up the opportunity so I begged the bank for some more money. Orbix Cargo is based at Vancouver Intl with our own set of warehouses to use. The 757 quickly got a paint job in it's new livery with the ERJ-145XR to follow soon.

Climbing out of CYVR.

P76BY.jpg

Enroute.

TCSNa.jpg

The logo shines in the sun.

7CDTw.jpg

In addition to help bring in more business, and as a stopping point between CYVR and TNCM, I opened bases in Jackson Hole (KJAC), Yellowstone (KWYS), and Miami Intl (KTPA).

One of my first cargo jobs was a long haul from CYVR to KTPA and this is where the fun starts. After an easy start, programming the FMC and takeoff I switched to the autopilot and was on my route climbing to FL350. At around FL320 the aircraft started banking back and forth aggressively and nosing up to try and gain altitude. As a result the aircraft stalled as I released autopilot and attempted to nose down. At the same time both engine gave out and I was now in a stall with no power! I was able to nose down and get some control but was dropping at an excessive rate. Over the Rockies still I looked for a relatively flat open area and pointed my nose towards it. I touched down extremely hard on rough ground and pretty much wrote off the aircraft but came out with only a few broken ribs and bruises. The aircraft was almost a complete write-off What a horrible start to Orbix and a major hit to the reputation. The only luck was that I had insurance on the aircraft and was able to just afford the $700,000 deductable. Now with less reputation, bills to pay soon and a negative number in the bank I am dangerously close to completely destroying my company. Time to get to work!

Thanks guys. I had a few days off work so I spend my long weekend putting in plenty of hours for Genair and mostly flying the Orbix brand.

*Update Time*

WARNING! Lots of changes again so this may be long winded.

Having a 757 really helps build the revenue with the company and Orbix was proving to be a good reputation builder. Also now that I have some heavy metal Nic (my overqualified King Air pilot) actually has something worth flying and has been trading off with me to keep the money flowing. With money in the bank, opportunity for another big loan and a Christmas sale I just couldn't resist a new purchase. Fresh from the factory a brand new 767-300f in the sharp Orbix Cargo livery. With the ability to carry the same cargo load at full fuel and a range of almost 7000nm I am poised to expand overseas as I see fit. For the time being though, the fuel required for my 1000nm flights in North America allow me to carry a significant load, and even to multiple destinations at a time. For my maiden flight I picked up a nice $700k contract flying me from the Orbix home base at CYVR to our newest hub at KTPA.

Loading the cargo for KTPA.

djrXK.jpg

Pushback provided by my lovely new addition GSX! (apparently they had to switch vehicles as seen from the loading photo. Must of had engine troubles.)

QepMv.jpg

Holding Rwy 26L for Dash 8 on final.

w6cp5.jpg

Climbing out of CYVR. Look at that wing flex! And the climbing power of this aircraft is impressive!

N64MO.jpg

Decent into KTPA. Thank goodness for ATC and ILS.

97GCY.jpg

Later that day I was joined at KTPA.

wL86P.jpg

Being similar to the 757 I was able to land with little trouble (with the odd wind gust) but did come down a little hard on my back gears. The local FBO said it was only about 2% damage which is $111k parts and labour... HOW MUCH! Good thing I'd be making a nice profit on this cargo. At the same moment my cell rang... it was the warehouse, some of the cargo was damaged in the landing and I had to pay a penalty! Geese, the smallest thing and I have such a headache now. I still managed to profit a good $400k but in future I needed to be more careful.

With a couple ERJ's a 757 and 767 now I was able to make over $3 million in a few days. Orbix was looking good so I refocused my efforts on Genair's more remote hard to fly delivery mandate. The two King Air's in the north at CZST were providing good services in Canada. The young pilots I left there were getting the job done with no damage. It may not provide the income of Orbix but it's a great service to the population and a good venue for training new pilots.

In the south at TNCM our three Twin Otters were spending too much time on the tarmac. It seems there just isn't the work there used to be and employing 3 pilots and maintaining 3 aircraft just isn't worth the investment. Time to see if the pilot training program is paying off. "Kai, when you are done going over your logs come into my office would ya?" "Yea boss, whats up?" "You've been doing a great job here in St Maarten. You take great care of your Twin Otter, deliveries are on time and you've logged quite a number of hours. You've probably noticed lately we just don't have the contracts we used to and some changes need to be made." You could see the fear in Kai's face, was he about to get fired? "How would you like to move up to Vancouver Canada. Orbix is doing well and you certainly qualify to fly with them." "You mean, I could fly nationally for Orbix in an ERJ-145?" "Nope. I think you could handle more. How would you feel in the captains seat of a 757?" The fear was clean gone now. What an opportunity! "You'll of course be getting a raise, so pack up your bags. We're selling your Twin Otter and have just leased a brand new 757. She'll be there waiting for you when you arrive."

Meanwhile in Vancouver, Adam hears the news. He's been with the company the longest. The first pilot for Genair, the first to move up to Orbix when it was created. And here he is, still flying an ERJ-145. What the heck! A little miffed he headed off to the bar for some drinks and shows up late for his next delivery. I give him a warning and tell him to put his personal feelings aside, I need to make decisions that best suite the company and he'll get to move up as his performance reflects it. His distractions must have increased cause the next flight he botched the landing. $300k in damages! "This is your last warning Adam. Shape up, do your job right or you'll be looking for work elsewhere."

What a weekend. I feel exhausted but Orbix is now a fleet of five and has the revenue stream that Genair could never dream of before. It's time to let them run for a bit and focus my efforts back to Genair. With temps falling in northern Canada and snow falling it's imperative that we continue to deliver our cargo. Many of the communities up there have little other access. Hopefully in the meantime we see more work in the Caribbean to keep the other two Twin Otters busy.

4 of my pilots are rated for the heavies and all but one rated for the ERJ's. Genair provides a good base to hire lower pilots and train them on the King Air's and/or Twin Otters to get the hours in. If they seem to make me more money than they cost me I move them up.

4 out of 8 of my pilots are rated up to the 767 and only one is unable to fly the ERJ's. Genair provides the aircraft and hours for when I find good young pilots to hire and if they do well there I move them up to Orbix when I can get a plane for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays! I have been learning about 3d design in gmax and been practicing my repaints to try and expand my fsx experience. I do love creating new things.

Update Time!

So the holidays were mostly good and some bad. It seems no matter which pilot I assign to which aircraft, how experienced they are or if their ratings are 100%, everyone does damage to my aircraft! I've had to call in an insurance claim a time or two for the 7xx's when I saw what the bill was going to cost. :wacko2:

The Orbix fleet at the end of December.

Dy5ml.jpg

Ben Ross, one of my last Genair pilots spent his holidays flying presents in and out of TNCM on the Twin Otters, the rush was on! A few days before Christmas he went and botched a landing stranding him in Costa Rica with shipments waiting for all the good little boys and girls (We were helping Santa out this year ;)). With the rush on, and not wanting to wait for repairs I flew out the spare Twin Otter to him and waited for the other to be repaired in the meantime, but it was too late. The delay cost us the deadline and a fine on top of the repairs that needed to be done. Over the holidays Ben continued to damage aircraft as well as miss deadlines and it was seriously costing Genair.

"Ben, I hate to do this so soon after the holidays. But you just aren't performing at a level this company requires." Oh man he looks upset, I felt bad but business was business and it had to be done. I've been dealing with his shortcomings for a month now and it's only gotten worse the harder I pushed him. "We have to let you go. I'm giving you a month's pay for severance and I'll arrange a flight for you anywhere in the world to help you get started again."

With Ben gone, two Twin Otters sitting at TNCM collecting dust was far from ideal. I checked for new potentials on the pilots for hire board but most had bad reputations and I didn't need another Ben. With no one to fly them, the decision was made to sell off the Twin Otter fleet.

Everyone had logged many hours, a couple 1st Officers now and many Captains of some level. Young Jordan was our last Genair pilot, only with the company a few weeks but already with a fATPL he was qualified to fly with Orbix on the ERJ's. Well it looks like it's time to rethink Genair. With a couple of King Air's left I saw an opportunity for them to be used for VIP charter instead of cargo. After all that's what they were designed for. I started up Genair VIP charters (fsPassengers) and transfered the two King Air's to it. For now that will suspend small field cargo operations for Genair, but I have big plans for the Orbix brand over the coming days and want to focus there.