Hello all ,,

hoping to pick a few brains..

im belatedley upgrading my computer to something better moving from 2004 to fsx and looking to install rex ,ultimate terrain x and uk 2000

airfields ..

fsx is going to go on my ssd with the operating system.. everything else onto the hard drive ..

Question is .. is there any advantage in the order in which you load programmes ,, in a new clean installation ..??

as before ive only added on to what i allready had

Thanks colin4878

Hello Colin and welcome to the Hangar :welcomeani:

In response to you Q? There is no preference after the initial install of FSX.

But before you install FSX create a folder on the SSD called FSX, then when you install, select the FSX folder on the SSD as the installation folder. Try not to install to the Games folder as this can cause you problems later on.

Remember to reboot after the FSX install before you upload any addons and a good rule of thumb is to reboot after any upload so as the registery gets updated each time..

Good luck on your re build..

James

Loading to the games folder has been known to cause corruption issues also it causes slower loading times.

So by using a folder exclusive to FSX will eliminate these..

Better still is having FSX on it's own drive with only FSX stuff onn it..

Depending on the size of your SSD I would avoid putting FSX on there. The only real difference you will see is in the initial load time. I've put my OS on the SSD and everything else goes on the 2nd Hard-Drive - just make sure that you install FSX into Drivename:\ folder (as opposed to c:\program files\ms games). Some add-ons suffer problems when FSX is installed to the default location

• 3 weeks later...

The bigger scenery of the future will probably have so many textures to load at once, particularly in rapidly changing locations when the radius of scenery complexity to set to large, that an SSD card will increase fps.

As to loading - with something like REX, the loading time takes a while, but there's no fps reduction. As a rough guide, assume if it's all on an SSD it'll load 15 times quicker. To me that's worth it.

It all depends on the size/budget!

For a 60GB - put OS, and maybe FSX, maybe REX (if room), other stuff can go on the HDD.

Then again, it's up to you.