It's that time of year again! Andrew Godden has just announced GAAR 2013 - it looks like this:

GAAR_2013_Basic_Plan_zps2135938f.jpg

10 fairly straightforward flight stages (Not if I know Andrew! - Ed) and another opportunity for Team Mutley to shine (we were World Champions in 2012).

To date, we have several stalwarts lined up for Team Mutley - Joe, Andrew and Brett have all shown their interest. Anyone can join in and being a member of an experienced team is a great way to get involved if you've not flown this type of rally before. So, let's hear from you!

Last year we fielded 2 teams for the Mutley's Easter Bunny Rally, so the more the merrier.

Thanks! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Thanks, Joe - I'm open on the choice of aircraft. None of the Legs are very long, so, something small and perfectly formed would suit me...

Maybe Andrew and/or Brett have some ideas - or you, you are, after all, the Boss! :thum:

And Kieran may want to start a rival team... :whis:

It's that time of year again! Andrew Godden has just announced GAAR 2013 - it looks like this:

10 fairly straightforward flight stages (Not if I know Andrew! - Ed).....

Dai,

You have picked me like a pea...the stages aren't all straightforward. There is about 290 nm missing from your plot, including the finish at YMMB as you have only plotted point to point for each Flight Leg. There is more "devil in the detail" as you will see when I issue the Flight Briefing document.

I like the idea of the Avia 57 and had been thinking about it since I saw it released back in December. Might to check it's performance on a 2700' strip, but I think it should be OK.

Cheers

AG

And Kieran may want to start a rival team... :whis:

I flew on Kieran's "A" team last year with Richard. If memory serves me right we, how do I say this nicely, kicked "B" teams butt's. :P I thought we needed two teams only because of the amount of people that wanted to fly, correct me if I am wrong. Either way, one or two teams, count me in. I think the Avia 57 could be a good choice and will give her a whirl tomorrow and see how short of a strip I can land on with a full load, one of Andrews recurring requirements :stars: . We flew the Dak's last year and this AC looks like one, just with a third engine tacked on the front. If there are two teams we could maybe have another duel. The route looks familiar to me as I have flown it and sections of it many times in the past as a pilot for Bluegrass Airlines(inactive lately, sorry Andrew).

Looking forward to whatever Andrew throws our way as he always make some very interesting(sometimes grueling) and scenic legs to fly.

O.K. - I'll download the Avia 57 (Thanks for the link, Joe) and take her for a spin...

@ Andrew - just did a very basic Flight Plan to see where each stage ended up. No surprise that you've got an additional 2,000 nm up your sleeve! :thum:

And young Kieran's very quiet - is he on hols again?

O.K. - downloaded and installed. Looks nice from the outside, but I'm not sure how we'd navigate. Here's the VC:

Avia57_Navigation_zps00d1e291.jpg

There's a (primitive) ADF - no doubt you'll tell me how it works! - and tuning the radio looks fun. But I don't see any VOR(/ILS) instrument(s). I'll admit, without the VOR, we're going to find Adrew's convoluted navigation instructions interesting, n'est-ce pas? :whis:

Feedback, please! :thum:

@ Andrew - just did a very basic Flight Plan to see where each stage ended up. No surprise that you've got an additional 2,000 nm up your sleeve! :thum:

And young Kieran's very quiet - is he on hols again?

O.K. - downloaded and installed. Looks nice from the outside, but I'm not sure how we'd navigate...There's a (primitive) ADF - no doubt you'll tell me how it works! - and tuning the radio looks fun. But I don't see any VOR(/ILS) instrument(s). I'll admit, without the VOR, we're going to find Adrew's convoluted navigation instructions interesting, n'est-ce pas?

Whoa there, big fella, only 200 nm not 2,000. :P Total route length is 1500 nm.

As for the nav instruments in the Avia, I would have thought you would have recognised and been familiar with these stone age gauges. :D Due to the nature of the route and available NAVAIDs, we should be able to get away with just ADF and geograhical reference point navigation if we compensate by doing the detailed flight planning. Plan-G comes into it's own here - I know because I have already done it - surprise, surprise, surprise, sergeant!!! :pilotic:

Either way, the Avia would make it very interesting. :woot:

And yes, Kieran is currently in the UK until late Sunday night (06 Jan).

Cheers

Andrew

O.K. - the Avia 57 it is. I'll have a go at the Test Flight - we'll all need to do it, I guess. Any preference for Average Speed - I normally go for 140 knots in the DC-3?

Wonder what Kieran will choose...

Just tested the AC out and the needle for the ADF signal gauge didn't move for me. You can put the cursor over it and get a tool tip reading though. She's a beast and taxi's like shes on vaseline covered ground. Takes a bit of tender throttle and braking but finally got the hang of it. There is no view when on the ground either. She stops well when landing but watch the stall speed or it will drop like a rock. Wish the prop levers worked. Wow...this will be a real challenge in a challenge.

What a beautifully made aircraft, I love the posters and little eye candy placed about the cabin. Very talented designers.

Hi Kieran - glad your back. Another Team would be good - Brett's on board, so you need another 2 members, maybe. Looks looks The Old-Uns are going with the Avia 57 (And navigating by the stars! - Ed). Maybe you fancy something more exotic?!? :thum:

The Old-Uns are going with the Avia 57 (And navigating by the stars! - Ed).

If the ADF doesn't work on the Avia we're b*gg*r*d aren't we?

Might have to throw a new one in there. I was waiting to see what was going on with Chuck to see if we(A team) are going to use that AC before making any "repairs" to it. We could probably just use the ADF gauge from the default DC3, I will have to check.

It is a pretty AC Dai even if it flies like a pig with wings but wish it was a FSX native. I do like to play with prop adjusts and all the other toys in the plane which isn't possible here. I love the old radio ADF dial too but haven't found the comm radio dials yet. Has a pretty nice sound set also. This is what I flew to test your FSXME mission pillar theory at the other site. :D

I'll fly anything as long as it has a VC in it.