Anyone else using the Stratotanker in AH?

Look in the aircraft.cfg file at MTOW, Empty Weight and the capacity of the various fuel tanks. It's probably the fuel tanks causing the problem in that AC and you may have to edit the file to remove some of them or reduce their capacity to near-zero.

AH Cargo Capacity = MTOW - (Empty Weight + Weight of full Fuel)

If you have already imported the AC into AH you'll have to delete it from there and re-import it after making and testing the changes.

You probably already know that you can fly with less than full tanks and thus carry more cargo than the AH cargo capacity statistic might imply, but your AI pilots cannot 0- they must always fly with full tanks.

John

EDIT: By the way, welcome to Mutley's Hangar.

JDA

Ah, thanks so much for the advice. I've been trying to edit the CFG for hours now in order to allow it to haul up to 83,000 lbs of cargo. I'll keep trying. Anyone with extensive info on CFG modification (not cheating here, just going for more realism) please help a brother out.

It's a simple text file. Edit it with Notepad. What do you have for MTOW, Empty weight and the [fuel] block? Those are the only things that matter.

That's going to be Jet A, so 6.7 lbs/US gallon.

John

In the [fuel] block of aircraft.cfg, look at the lines for each fuel tank. For each tank, the 4th number after the equal sign is the tank capacity in US gallons. Edit those to reduce the amount carried. Remember one gallon is 6.7 lbs.

John

Welcome!

For calculations going the other way, here's a useful "Rule of Thumb":

Jet A lbs. to gallons:

Divide pounds required by 10, then add 50%.

For example: (5,000 lbs. ÷ 10) x 1.5 = 750 gallons)

Not perfect, but then RoT's never are. But they're sure handy when you're in a hurry.

Cheers,

March

Wait, its written in gallons? Oh, crap then. I just want to be able to carry 83,000 lbs but I can't seem to figure this out. Thanks for the advice guys! I'll update with any progress for future generations to look forward to.

Everything involved in the cargo capacity calculation for AH is in lbs, except the tank capacities in aircraft.cfg. Those are in US gallons and you need to convert them to do the math.

John

Always an issue: most A/C load in pounds and the fuel truck (over here, anyway) always wants to sell the stuff in gallons or litres. There's another conversion you want to make sure you get right.

If I'm not mistaken there was an Air Canada flight that ran afoul of the litre/gallon thing a ways back. I think the pilots dead-sticked into a prairie airport.

Cheers,

March

PS: RoT for USG to Litres - USG X 4 = L ( actual is about 3.87, or something like that, but 4 has always worked for me)