Hi Guys,

As you know I am not a complete noob when it comes to FSX but there is one thing that I cannot figure out - I have backed up the 'Controls' folder found in the following location...

C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

But when I restore it does not restore my joystick setup only the buttons?

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim,

The control folder should contain a file Standard.xml

In this file you should have a section with the settings for you joystick axis.

i.e.

<SimControls.Map>

<Name>CH PRO THROTTLE USB {0FAEE0B0-93A9-11E0-8001-444553540000}</Name>

<Axis>

<AxName>XAxis</AxName>

<Index>0</Index>

<AxEvent>AXIS_RUDDER_SET</AxEvent>

<AxScale>127</AxScale>

<AxNull>10</AxNull>

</Axis>

For the rudder axis in my file.

If these entries are present the restoring the file should set you axis.

Now if you use FSUIPC to assign axis this obviously will not work!

Hope this helps

As I understand it the registered (paid) version of FSUIPC for FSX will remember the control setup for each individual airplane and automatically load the correct one when you select an aircraft.

John

I've been blissfully unaware of this feature in the paid version of FSUIPC. I have the free version installed.

Thank you, again, John, for another piece of FS wisdom.

I'd pretty much given up trying to find this solution. I never did find a way to have FSX do this for me. My FSX sub-directory contains several files where I tried different assignments, then saved them to unique file names. Files such as noflaps.xxx and hiperf.xxx. Loading them did absolutely nothing. FSX stubbornly retains the last set of assignments.

I fly aircraft from the 737NG to Piper Cubs and all require a preferred set-up on the joystick.

Justification to purchase the paid version.

Cheers,

March

Oops!

Not so fast there, March.

I found this page: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

It gives FSUIPC4 4.853 as the most recent version for FSX and remarks that a second (included on the d/l page) piece of software, called WideFS 6.897 should be downloaded and installed at the same time.

Is this a software developer requirement or simply something that us mere mortal FSX'ers might want to have? I use a widescreen monitor for FSX display.

Care to comment, John?

Cheers,

March

Thanks John,

WIDE as in WAN, not Wide Screen. Not much needed for a single-station FSX install. The price is approx $30, so better not purchased unless needed ( there is a deal on the table to buy both packages at the same time for €18 each ).

I've spent a fair hour or so researching FSUIPC, especially the control programming specifics for the joystick. You may recall a previous conversation that we had about the imprecision that I experience with POV via the hat switch. There are some recommendations that are not available due to files mentioned not being (currently) available on the Internet. However, it sounds from the first pass that even FSUIPC has trouble with that particular control. I will investigate the possibility of introducing a larger null zone when I get back to my hardware.

The possibility for unique control axis files dependant on the aircraft being loaded still floats my boat.

Can't wait until February. It should be made a serious offence to remove a sim pilot from his home base for three months at a time. Pure cruelty.

Cheers,

March

WIDE as in WAN, not Wide Screen.

Right, exactly. It took a long time for me to tumble to that, but that's it exactly. You can run FS over a network with it if you don't happen to be sitting at the computer it's installed on.

I don't have first-hand experience with the ability to save control setups in the registered version of FSUIPC but understand from others that it's in there and works well.

John

Precisely, we need to get together on this and start a thread covering the process. Probably logical to start it in General because it is cross-platform. However there are people on this forum better qualified than me to make this determination.

Sorry, I will not be available until the beginning of February, but it is one of the first things on my 'to do' list for when I get back to OZ.

Cheers,

March