new all encompassing software and Hardware guide (Bible)

I have started this as a new thread because it is the first time since Kostas blog that I have come across a really well written guide including just about everyones mods, most of the mods we know about but here they explain in many cases why they work,

This is currently the best Bible to use to set up FSX

http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf

go and download it NOW!!

I've run across a bit of a glitch in my initial look at this guide:

One of the pages recommends a piece of software called "CoreTemp". I thought this a good idea and a place to start as my Win7 laptop runs quite hot. This may even be normal.

I went to the recommended download page and my Eset Nod 32 anti-virus package popped up a yellow "caution" box that the software download might contain a problem. I did not download from this site. Instead, I went looking for alternatives and found the software on this site: www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tools/.../core_temp_64bit.(cfm) (I've crippled this URL with the brackets around cfm) . Nod 32 didn't seem to mind this file, so I downloaded it. 

I got two files - the one I requested, ie: CoreTemp64 v1.0rc4 - it's a zip file - this is the first

The second one is an executable called coretemp_1236 - it's an executable

The trouble is that I CAN find the first file - it is in my download folder where it belongs. The second file doesn't show up anywhere. It is listed in the downloaded file listing (Google Chrome) but the "show in folder" feature is not there and Win 7 cannot find it. I did NOT run the file or click on it in any way. I'm worried that this might be some sort of problem file simply because it doesn't act like a bona-fide executable.

I did run Malwarebytes in Quick Scan mode and it found nothing. I will do a full scan after I finish writing this post.

I'm not sure what I'm doing here. This is a warning for others who may be reading through the Guide and contemplating downloading this file. Problem is, I'm just enough of a Luddite that I don't know whether or not I have a problem. Possibly the CoreTemp file calls this during installation, but I'm not about to try to install CoreTemp until I'm convinced it's a good idea.

Cheers,
March 

I can understand your retisence however If you stick to the sites they recommend I am sure you will not have a problem as they have been tried and tested by many people. i would imagine though it would have to be some kind of exe file because it has to link to the bios in some way thereby getting the info direct from the motherboard, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Britfrog.

That was the first route I took only to have Eset's Nod 32 anti virus software quarantine the download. I have been very happy with Nod 32, having used it for over ten years, now. If it quarantines something, there's usually a good reason. That is not to say that the quarantine, in this case, was not simply due to an abnormal format that rings some bells deep in the works.

I wonder if there is anyone else on MH who has successfully downloaded and run this (CoreTemp) software. As it is, I'm pretty sure there is no issue on my machine because I did not run the installer.

It worries me just a little bit when something downloads then doesn't follow the same route as other downloads. Ie: Save to the "Downloads" directory. 

Cheers,

March

I would think this happens because the author does not want to pay for that permissions fee and the download is actually changing something in a protected area within your PC. I don't think the folks over at Avsim would let stuff be posted without first checking it out first. Doesn't hurt to install it to a separate folder first and then scan it. If nothing bad shows up then you can run the installer normally. Thats how I normally run installers that I am not sure of. Warning: Not an authority on stuff like this, you will still have to assume a bit of risk when installing anything from anywhere.

Understood, thanks Britfrog.

Being naturally cautious, I think I'll go looking elsewhere for a temperature monitor. Avsim likely has little control over what gets posted (until they get a complaint) and there are some real whack jobs out there.

Cheers,

March

I'm editing this post after re-reading your comments:

That is exactly what I do with any download: They go into a folder and get checked out by Nod 32. That's where the original warning came from. NOTHING gets "Run" straight from the download.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Brit, have saved the PDF and bookmarked it too.

I'm still on an adapted Nick Needham guide for my FSX install and was thinking of trying the Kosta guide next format, this guide seems to be the best advice from all the experts out there and once I do have to format again I'll try this.

Cheers. :thum:

One of the newer and most noteworthy recommendations in the guide is provided by a link to the current version of Steve Parsons' shader patch. Steve's patch effectively takes the "Preview" out of "Preview DirectX 10" by correcting all previous DirectX 10 display problems at all FSX airports. That's quite an accomplishment. As someone who has used DX10 for several years and who has manually corrected airport display problems via ADE at most major airports (several hundred) in most countries, I can tell you I definitely am overjoyed to suddenly have all of the thousands of airports that I didn't correct, now display perfectly under DX10. If you have a computer system that supports DirectX 10/DirectX 11, and if you don't have too many DX10-incompatible aircraft for which there is currently no DX10-compatible replacement, then there's no longer a technical reason not to begin using and taking advantage of DX10.

I think most of the recommendations in the guide will work for everyone. Still, this guide is a guide...not everything should be considered to be written in rock. For example, the guide seemingly recommends trilinear filtering, which is not the right choice for my graphics card. I use anisotropic, instead. Believe me, I've done the testing.

Dan