I wish to reinstall one of the FSX default aircraft that I removed and messed up a while ago.

If I put the FSX DVD in the drive and browse it's contents I can see the aircraft and it's associated components but I am unsure which component goes where. I thought It would be just simply copying the relevant folder but it seems not unless I am doing something wrong.

Any ideas please.

Insert the FSX Install Disc into the DVD-ROM drive. By default, Windows will engage its autoplay feature and load up the main install program for FSX. If autoplay is disabled on your system -- or the autoplay feature does not appear to be working -- load the main install program by clicking on "My Computer" and then clicking on your DVD-ROM drive.

Select "Repair" from the list of available actions in the main install program. Press the "Next" button.

Follow the on-screen instructions to repair your installation of FSX. This restores your default aircraft files.

I think that is the one thing everyone wished you could do with the FSX disks and that is to browse in them. Repair is the only way to restore default aircraft.

Remember that if you have made changes(panel or aircraft.cfg files) to your other default AC's that a backup is in order because the repair will restore the original file folders. If you have by any chance changed the folder names(not a good idea) the repair will make another folder for that same aircraft and this might cause a problem with displaying the AC in the hanger due to conflicting titles in the flighsim sections.

What if you tell what plane you need, i'll zip the folder and upload it for you. You copy the folder back in the Airplanes folder. It would work?

I didn't hear that :cool: or see it.

What if you tell what plane you need, i'll zip the folder and upload it for you. You copy the folder back in the Airplanes folder. It would work?

I didn't hear that :cool: or see it.

LOL! Good luck guys. 

It should not interfere with anything but the defaults and not even look at add-ons. If you made changes to defaults then it is wise to make a back up of the affected files. Making a back up is good practice when making these kind of changes anyway.

• 1 month later...

I used the repair tool and it totally screwed things up. After the repair I restarted the computer and tried to launch FSX but at the splash screen it just crashes with a fatal error pop up.

So much for a repair tool so I am doing a fresh install as I am typing this.

Good Luck Phil.

I know what you're going through as I have just done a complete reinstall of FSX.

I am installing each add-on daily, to see what, if anything screws my system up.

It just takes time but is infuriating, so I know how you feel.

:thum:

The main reason for the fresh install was because EZdok had stopped working. I tried uninstalling this and reinstalling but it made no difference.

I reinstalled it again after reinstalling FSX but it still won't work, very frustrating.

Can't get it to cycle through the camera views so no idea what's gone wrong and the support forum for this software is hopeless as nobody hardly ever replies to your issue.

Phil,

I take it the Ezdok appears on the FSX menu still? Do any of the cameras work?

Joe, i was using the installer i already had saved from when i last downloaded EZdok. I could see the EZdok in FSX but could not assign any shortcuts or move the camera positions.

So i redownloaded the all important key file again and reinstalled EZdok and it just worked. It must need a new key file upon reinstallation, well i assume it must as this worked for me.

Now to start installing all the add ons again.

I was getting ahead of myself again. I had written my last post before fully testing it. The problem I now have is that I cannot get button 2 on the numpad to beep in order to memorize a camera position then create a shortcut.

Perhaps I have made a mistake when deleting the required key assignments in the preliminary settings and deleted one I should not have.

Phil, have you unassigned the 2 key from the view options within FSX controls setup?

Are you sure you have the numlock on?

In the end I just reset the default key assignments in FSX then removed the ones as stated for EZdok then reinstalled EZdok again with a new key file and that did the trick.

So as far as I can tell when reinstalling EZdok you must obtain a new key file in order for it to work.

I will be glad to write up a step by step guide to installing EZdok now I have got it sussed for those who might be interested.

Hi Phil, never had any trouble with the repair; just for my future reference - do you know what the fatal error was / did you take a screenshot?

I really hate to advice something that goes horribly wrong without knowing why that happened ..

I used the repair tool and it totally screwed things up. After the repair I restarted the computer and tried to launch FSX but at the splash screen it just crashes with a fatal error pop up.

Hope it wasn't something I said :(  Glad you got everything back on track. :)

Hope it wasn't something I said :(  Glad you got everything back on track. :)

No it wasn't something you said, probably just one of those things. Now having trouble getting my FPS to a reasonable level. The config tweak does not appear to be working.