Sign in to follow this  
ddavid

Amazon delivery drones are coming...

Yes, that's what the title says: "Amazon delivery drones are coming!". Here's the link:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/1/5164340/delivery-drones-are-coming-jeff-bezos-previews-half-hour-shipping

I'm not sure of the range of the quadrocopter's remote control - 10 miles sounds a bit extreme to me, but if it's got GPS, I guess that would resolve the issue. As to the FAA, well, that's another question...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Does that mean we all need to install remotely operated hangar doors into our our roofs?

Also will Santa be unhappy about the competition on Christmas eve?

Ray.

This is a cover up story. The truth is Santa is being privatized, 

Santa has for too long had a monopoly on the Christmas cheer market. The EU Government is to break up this monopoly and put out the various parts for tender.

Amazon are among the front runners for the delivery side of the business and have been spotted trying out their present to chimney delivery system.  

Boeing are said to be high on the list of runners for the sleigh systems contract, with Rolls Royce running as their preferred partners for power units. The rumor currently circulating is that the new Boeing 25/12 S.L.E.D will be powered by no less than six Rolls Royce R-DEAR power plants and with BAe systems supplying the top secret "Red Nose" S.L.E.D guidance system.

IBM and Oracle Systems are the only runners left in the race to supply the Data systems with Oracles "Goodchild" Database and accompanying SQL (Santa Query Language) Database language.

The next stage of the Privatization is set for early next year when the ELF toy Construction monopoly will be broken up in compliance with the latest EU directives. However as ELF is a French owned company, and largely state controlled there is expected to be a challenge to this proposed breakup in the European Courts before it can begin. The French unions are threatening to boycott non French Christmas deliveries.

More on this breaking news as we get it.... icon_santa.gif

John :rofl:

So how come there is only one Monopolies Commission?

Actually there isn't. It was wound up in 1999. I can only assume that it had its self wound up for unfair market control of Monopoly investigation.

Maybe Santa got tired of working for free and is behind all of this. :P

What you mean a sort of Management buy-out?  Hmm interesting theory.  All sort possibilities there.   

Is Santa getting too old to continue working at the current levels population of pressure?

Has the French owned220px-Elf_Aquitaine.gif consortium been giving him some Union issues this summer?

And so on... Has anyone looked at what Santa Holdings is doing on the London Stock Exchange lately? icon_santa.gif

I had to check my calendar, I thought it was April 1st. :D  I honestly can't see the viability of this or even see how this would be safely done.

If this does take off(pardon) watch your fingers when signing for your package.  :rolleyes:

I'm with Brett.  If it's not an outright hoax, it's highly improbable that this will come to fruition any time soon on anything but a very limited, test marketing, pilot-project basis and maybe not even that much.  There are a myriad of problems with the concept; WX, terrain, fraud, theft and vandalism, wild and domestic animals,union opposition (FedEx and UPS have very strong unions), regulation, safety, and cost, to name a few. 

At best this may become a very expensive premium service (or will be operated at a loss with the intent of proving the concept) available in a few very limited areas.  I'd be amazed to see anything like this implemented on a wide spread basis in the foreseeable future.  People who can afford that kind of pricing probably don't spend their days shopping on Amazon or clamoring for half-hour delivery of parcels of 5# or less. 

While the concept may be technically possible after several serious problems are solved, in my opinion the entire idea is economically infeasible.

John

Personally, I think the idea is nuts. Its open to theft, interference from 3rd parties and misuse. I took it as a seasonal joke, hence my first reply to this topic! icon_santa.gif