Sign in to follow this  
CaptD

Scenery Issue in FS9 Yes FS9

OK, I know nobody flies FS9 but I do. My old computer took a dump, and I got another one. I am building my FS9 back again, and have suddenly encountered an issue that I can find no answer for. I am NOT too far into the rebuild, but I do not wish to dump and start again.\

So the problem is fairly simple I hope. I run FS9 with sliders to FULL, everything set to MAX.

ALL was going good, but suddenly, instead of great looking sharp textures as far as the eye could see, I am now getting the POPPING into sharp details, an area around my aircraft that is basically in a PLUS sign type pattern Several squares x Several squares, the outsides of which are far less sharp until I fly over them, then they pop up and the ones behind my get less sharp. I have changed no settings, I was thinking it was a scenery I added in, but it exists now world wide.

ANYONE who can help me on this, I would really be thankful to.

There are a few folks here that still fly it and can hopefully help you out. I can at least welcome you to our forums here at Mutley's Hangar. :hat:

Since you have a new PC I will throw out a few guesses, have you updated/installed the latest drivers, did you do any tweaks that worked on the old machine but might not work with the new machine, have you tried lowering your sliders to default and slowly adjust them higher while checking the results, does this happen with all aircraft, you mention that all was working well then all of a sudden things went bad, have you tried using a restore point before the unexplained scenery problem?

....... My old computer took a dump, a.......

Welcome to Mutley's Hanger Dennis.

What is the spec of your new PC?  To get the most out of your Flight Sim you must let this factor drive your choice.

JG

PS, I guess 'taking a dump' doesn't mean the same thing on your side of the pond.  :scare:  :D  

Apply these settings as a starting point:-

MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=96560

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

Mipbias=8

In the FS9 cfg file add/change the following VALUES where neccessary:-

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=90.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=0.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=2

[DISPLAY]
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTI=400

These VALUES may be changed up or down depending on your setup. The ones I have given here are from a

saved FS9 cfg file that I was using with huge amounts of Photo Scenery up until 2010. The Sim ran

flawlessly with a i7 980 processor and GTX 480 Graphics card.

Hope this gives you some kind of a starting point.

I had that happen frequently in FS9 and it still happens in FSX occasionally. I never did cure the problem and just learnt to live with it. I tended to find that after a while the said scenery block would sharpen up. However it's a bit of bugger when trying to spot a remote airfield. I finally got rid of FS9 late last year and haven't looked back since.

On the same day as this OP CaptD also posted this question on two other sim forums and himself discovered that he had some scenery addons conflicting with each other, it is now fixed so no further assistance is required here.

I would like to thank all the members that chipped in to help him since the guy didn't bother to do it himself nor grace us with his fix. :thanks:  :P 

I finally got rid of FS9 late last year and haven't looked back since.

A bit of off topic - no waaaay :yikes:  your glorious FS9 shots will be missed  :D