I have recently moved up P3D and am having problems with trim settings.  

I have my trim controls assigned through FSUIPC with native joystick controls switched out in P3D.

The trims controls are assigned to knobs on my throttle , the assignment and calibration are done through FSUIPC.  

However the knobs are behaving like switches. There is a narrow '0' centre band from which the smallest deviation either side causes the maximum value to be returned at once. Thus it is either centred, max left or max left and nothing between. 

Any ideas on what is wrong folks?

Elevator trim gave me fits when I first tried to use P3D. I use the saitek Cessna Trim Wheel. There is extensive discussion on their forum related to the problem. My issue boiled down to Saitek drivers. Once the drivers were hunted down and killed the problem went away. Sorry JG, that's the best I can do as I believe there's all kinds of problems associated with trim on P3D and I only had to deal with one of them.

As an aside, I still don't use P3D as I never found any compelling reason to switch from FSX. Maybe sometime in the future..........

I use Cessna Saitek trimwheel..I have found it varies depending on aircraft.. some are rock solid others wont trim regardless..but that may be how they are or how they have been modelled...

1 hour ago, wain said:

..... may be how they are or how they have been modelled...

You may have a point there.  The aircraft I have the most problems with is Dino Cattaneo' F35B  In VTOL modes this aircraft uses the trim controls to move in the hover.  I will do some experimentation with this and other models.

8 hours ago, wain said:

I use Cessna Saitek trimwheel..I have found it varies depending on aircraft.. some are rock solid others wont trim regardless..but that may be how they are or how they have been modelled...

@Wain, I forgot to mention that I use FSUIPC for ALL joystick assignments. I wonder if using it might solve your variable trim issues.

8 hours ago, wain said:

Thanks Quick...never had FSUIPC paid version...may get it in the future.. most things I regularly jump into do trim ok though...

I highly recommend FSUIPC paid version. For no other reason than to save your AH bacon if something goes sideways (CTD, etc) during a revenue flight. There are many other reasons, including the best way to calibrate joysticks for specific aircraft (profiles).

I use FUIPC (paid) for all my joystick assignments. Using the joystick calibration in FSUIPC on P3D it acts like a switch. It has a very small centre range and left or right of that very narrow band gives you an off the scale reading

20 hours ago, Jess-b said:

What throttle unit are you using JG? 

Hi Jess.  I am using the Saitek X55 throttle (and Joystick)  The X55 has two rotary knobs on its base, I want to use these for aileron and rudder trim and I have a Saitek auto pilot switch panel that has a Pitch trim.

JG, have a check out of this video. It may explain what the issue is with the lack of input from the pots. My guess is the X-55 software is what's causing the issue. Check out around 13 minutes 40 for a little info on how the software deals with the pots. 

• Like 1