allardjd

MS Announce New Flight Sim for 2020 Release

I first became aware of this tonight in an e-mail from Fly Away Simulation, linking to this...

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4953/

(Checking.... nope, it's not April 1st and POTUS hasn't tweeted that it's Fake News.)  I haven't followed any of the links contained in that page yet but it appears to be a true MS release.  

Obviously I didn't expect to see MS jump back in but I welcome the news.  It is to be hoped that they learned a thing or three after getting their fingers burned on F-Lite, a.k.a. MS Flight and perhaps this will be a serious entry.  Maybe it will be a lease-back of P3D ;)

Based on MS history with release dates, I wouldn't hang my hat on the 2020 release target, but it seems certain that they at least do intend to get back in the game.

Just when you think you've seen it all...

John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDDgFfWlS4

You will have to copy / paste but here is the video from them.. 

It looks very nice.  But is the market not saturated with the likes of P3D and X-Plane?

Its a fresh product and so a fresh spend.  Not for me, I don't want to start again on something unproven.

I feel this will be a way off yet, it also seems to be pointed towards XBOX & PC, I have signed up to the newsletter but it will have to be good to pull me away from XP & P3D.....I feel it's one to sit back and watch how it progresses, if it comes with a big deal with someone like ORBX and maybe A2A then the community may take notice but like JG said it's another one to spend on and most of us are probably happy with setups.....will also be interesting to see the standing with LM........

There's a pretty good discussion in the forum at FlightSim.com, including a statement from Nels Anderson that I can't help but agree with.  That thread includes some speculation that this might be marketed as a "subscription", i.e. pay as you go.  I can't see that "flying" with the FS community.

Nothing much at AVSLIME AVSIM other than one short announcement that is mostly neutral.  Remember that is the site that threatened and banned people who were critical of MS Flight so maybe folks there are sitting on their hands for now. 

One commenter observes that the fact that the new sim will also be for Xbox does not augur well for any hopes for an open system that accommodates add-ons, offers expandability and the ability to customize ala FSX.

Time will tell.

I'm willing to see what they have to offer, but we have a couple of pretty good alternatives on the market already to keep us busy in the meantime.

John

If they've solved the problem of autogen grinding the sim to a halt (TrueEarth London anyone?), it might at least prompt L-M to up their game a bit . . .

The promo looks pretty slick & smooth, but the cynic in me says it's been carefully crafted to only show the good bits.

• Like 2

The time frame of the proposed release of the new Microsoft simulator certainly seems to coincide with the time frame of the proposed release of the new Xbox.

If the PC version ended up being backward-compatible with my current FSX AI traffic program, I might be slightly interested. I'll probably stick with X-Plane 11, though. It's an excellent simulator that I run in both Windows 7 and Linux. I expect that Microsoft's new simulator will run in neither Windows 7 nor Linux.

On 10/06/2019 at 18:40, allardjd said:

......One commenter observes that the fact that the new sim will also be for Xbox does not augur well for any hopes for an open system that accommodates add-ons, offers expandability and the ability to customize ala FSX......

No it doesn't augur well. 

If it works on an Xbox it will be a game not a simulator.  Flight was a game and that was a complete flop, there are far more exciting games than flying an aircraft around. 

To compete in the flight arena it has to be a full simulator and to be one of a very high standard. Will MS realize that or are we going to see a very pretty game?  If it's for the Xbox then stand by to be disappointed.

On 10/06/2019 at 15:25, wain said:

I feel this will be a way off yet, it also seems to be pointed towards XBOX & PC, I have signed up to the newsletter but it will have to be good to pull me away from XP & P3D.....I feel it's one to sit back and watch how it progresses, if it comes with a big deal with someone like ORBX and maybe A2A then the community may take notice but like JG said it's another one to spend on and most of us are probably happy with setups.....will also be interesting to see the standing with LM........

I agree with all you have said. I looked at the postings flooding social media and others but its too early to tell yet.

I've had a horrible thought: Maybe they've bought Flightsim World off Dovetail, and are releasing it under the M$ banner . . .

56 minutes ago, Tim_A said:

I've had a horrible thought: Maybe they've bought Flightsim World off Dovetail, and are releasing it under the M$ banner . . .

Maybe I should keep my FSW baseball cap after all!

1 hour ago, Tim_A said:

I think a leaseback of P3D would be pretty amusing... and ironic.

John

Interesting video. If this is indeed a simulator then I would want to know:

• What the PC spec is?
  • What the geographical coverage is?
  • what the default level of scenery is like (we are seeing the most detailed bits in the video)?
  • How expandable it is?
  • Does it have an SDK?
  • Is it simple to produce things like aircraft liveries?
  • What is the interface to peripheral hardware is like?
  • How complex the flying model is?

I could go on....and on and on.

Call me a cynic but it seems to be to good to be true.