phil white

I took the plunge...

I took the plunge and decided to buy myself a VR headset to use in XP11. I got the recently released Oculus Rift S and i am loving the results.

The immersion is awesome but VR still has some way to go as the visuals in VR are lacking in quality and resolution at the moment but you soon get used to it.

Hi Phil, I love VR but I agree the image quality is somewhat compromised. Just a matter time I hope until it is truly realistic.

I've loaded Amazon.ca several times but I haven't pulled the trigger.  Best Buy is out of the running because they have no stock (in Victoria, Canada)

I do not want to get into second-guessing the developers. You know the routine: BUY! No, wait a bit, maybe an improvement is waiting in the wings.

Right now the choices are not that hard to make - Oculus Rift S or Vive. The price of Vive is over the moon for something that may get dropped pretty quickly. I've got the hardware so no need to spend big bucks on another PC.

Let's see how it goes - "Click".

I'll be back!

March

• Like 1

I'm back. I bought the Oculus Rift S, FSX-SE and Flyinside FSX. 

First Impression: Nice toy.

Lots of fun for a VFR experience. I really like the 360 degree aspect. For me, it makes it easier to fly the aircraft by hand. All aspects are a similar experience to the real thing. The spatial orientation is so superior to the 2d experience.

I'm using a Saitek Yoke and Quadrant, Trim Wheel and CH Pro Pedals. Everything easy to use, even blind, except maybe the Trim Wheel which is horribly inaccurate - that will be solved with a bit more tuning. Not a biggie anyway because the electric trim switch on the yoke seems to work fine.

IFR - useless. That is, unless you tend to do your IFR flying by hand. I'm still searching for a way to tune radios and navigation instruments. "FlyInside" has made a decent attempt to address this problem and I'm hoping that, with time and practice, I'll get their tuning technique down pat. Radio tuning is actually quite easy.

I'm sure I'll find lots of tips and tricks but at this time trying to tune the CDI or the heading bug on the HSI is all but impossible. I'm just flying the Stock 172 and the Sim Cockpit Yoke is in the way of any serious attempt. Flicking that bug one degree at a time is getting old - fast. FlyInside allows the use of a mouse pointer inside the sim but I haven't found a way to use that effectively. I should mention that I use a Trackball - lots of thumb squiddling to move across the screen. If I set the mouse pointer acceleration to a level where I can accurately keep the pointer on the knob, it takes ages to traverse.

Cheers,

March

Hi March

I had one of those VR headsets to review a couple of years ago and for GA it was incredible, it sounds as though it has improved a little.

Blue skies my friend!