LEGT Getafe AB - Madrid, Spain

y4mdvVk6mkUKxCoFH5tjttHs6h-Fx4ioCltYRPoq

KITH Ithaca Tompkins Regl - Ithaca, New York - US

y4m0WecP88xL_DFaqv_6tX0c7GWYiuFb5k_M1NTU

KLHM Lincoln Regl/Harder - Lincoln, California - US

y4mhG5CDwWLabVXYK5rinTOxPdATzA9GbegdqP8h

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,194; downloads 2,486; subscribers 15

All three of these today are relatively robust, full featured airports, though I was a little puzzled by one aspect of the first one LEGT, an airbase in Madrid, Spain. Though the field is fairly large and includes a physical control tower, there is no tower frequency listed in the COMMs list. I guess it's plausible that it could be a formerly towered field, with the tower now closed. As far as I know that's the case for the place I learned to fly in the RW, KBEH in Benton Harbor, Michigan. After President Reagan fired the Air Traffic Controllers for breaking a no-strike clause in 1981, the tower never re-opened, though the building remains. That seems a little less likely in the case of LEGT, given that it's a military field. I'm just going to chalk it up to an omission by Microsoft.

From the pet peeves category, today seems like a good day to talk about one of mine - unlabeled taxiways. All three of the airports today have examples of that - taxiways that seem to be logical extensions of other labeled ones but are themselves un-labeled. In other cases, they aren't extensions, just stand-alone sections of taxiways that scream to have an ID but were not blessed with them by whoever created the airport bgls for FSX, unless those entities are also unlabeled in the real world.

As you probably know, I don't "editorialize" on the diagrams - you get exactly what is in FSX, right or wrong, good, bad or ugly.

All three of these in today's batch were on the edge of having a second plate, but in each case I decided that the quantity of taxiway labels required was sufficiently sparse that one plate would not be unduly cluttered by having them there.

John

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you'd like to subscribe (free) and have all new and updated airport diagram files e-mailed to you,

contact me at allardjd@earthlink.net with a Subject Line of "Airport Diagram Subscription".

8/31/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

KMRJ Iowa Co - Mineral Point, Wisconsin - US

y4mnICsgCqOBbShnc4eSiBbqQzmnG6RA4Wq9WZ5T

KRDR Grand Forks AFB - Grand Forks, North Dakota - US

y4mYJrMsOpu1BInP6fxTcI9f6zrLPg_wZLtOnkG1

KALN St Louis Regl - Alton/St Louis, Illinois - US

y4m1jvmhhfFgyognT_87f9ekd2cCCMDTEqxEWsag

y4mBFnUa37srK9f0s2LHgRmAGQz-Fx1uGVXep838

Updated:

M19 Newport Mun - Newport, Arkansas - US(updated)

y4mOkmnPE5H-edZ4Fb9m6fXxEMwvhXhPn_xHi19O

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,197; downloads 2,486; subscribers 15

Not much to say about the update today, M19, except that it has the look of a former WWII era military field with acres of ramp space and four medium sized runways, two of which are closed.

KMRJ in Mineral Point, Wisconsin has an odd listing in the Comms list, "Remote Clearance Delivery". I see it from time to time but not often. I believe it represents a repeater setup for contacting a FSS or some other facility for getting your clearance at a non-towered or part-time towered airport. In FS it works like any other Clearance Delivery frequency (usually Clearance Delivery or Ground). I suspect it's the same in the real-world but don't know that for a fact.

I find the name of this one a little odd too - Iowa County - an airport (and probably a county) named for a state they don't lie within. Maybe someone was homesick when they named it.

Continuing my taxiway labeling rant from yesterday, FSX didn't let me down today. KRDR, Grand Forks AFB, has two widely separated taxiways connecting to the runway that are both labeled "D". One is between taxiway "E" and taxiway "G". No, there is no taxiway "F" - why should there be?

KALN is St Louis Regl. No, it's not in Missouri - that's what I thought too. It's on the east side of the river and is, therefore, in Illinois. I always thought that was East St. Louis, but according to Microsoft, it's not. Maybe they're right. I didn't bother chasing down the details. I did go to a second plate on this airport, because of taxiways, as is usually the case.

John

If you'd like to subscribe (free) and have all new and updated airport diagram files e-mailed to you,

contact me at allardjd@earthlink.net with a Subject Line of "Airport Diagram Subscription".