KJGG Williamsburg-Jamestown - Williamsburg, Virginia - US

y4mRoplaQANz8h24hgc4aadFbJmULhUAu2TQp7_a

D81 Red Lake Falls Mun - Red Lake Falls, Minnesota - US

y4mzcOIawb9Mv6r_nyeSB-_FrIz82ZyYblLjeGBq

SBAF Campo Delio Jardim De Mattos - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

y4mLzZTEP_RLL7ofFlFBjB9aRnpRgZ18J3k9-90H

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,200; downloads 2,486; subscribers 15

What a great way to start a new month - 2,200 airports diagrammed. With the new production standard of 3 new ones per day including on update days, that's going to add about 90 a month going forward. Unless I take another vacation, we should see 2,500 by Christmas. Oops - I may be out of the saddle for two weeks in November, but might still be able to pull it off.

These are all relatively small airports today - the Brazilian air base is the biggest runway in today's batch and it's only 6,500'. None today had an ILS and none had any labeled taxiways.

We're seeing a lot of US airports lately, but it's not unexpected. Retiring the national capitals list and replacing it with the sequestered airports list, which is all US, is one biasing factor. Another, of course, is that a very large proportion of the airports in FSX and in the world are in the US, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I always feel a twinge of guilt that my non-US users are getting the short end of the stick but I can assure everyone it's not intentional. If anyone communicates any preferences to me, I always put requests at the top of the list.

John

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you'd like to subscribe (free) and have all new and updated airport diagram files e-mailed to you,

contact me at allardjd@earthlink.net with a Subject Line of "Airport Diagram Subscription".

9/2/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

KCLL Easterwood - College Station, Texas - US

y4m28m2iEbAlOpzjlz4-n4mi2fOxyCx0J8bhxa8K

y4mwnI_a_yUerarC6HmeuO5mnReuW74xv5w1jkL6

0A3 Smithville Mun - Smithville, Tennessee - US

y4m0UZifF-4Zv63JxhMsgp2SrHwC5uCns0zS_7wg

14ID Peaceful Cove - Boise, Idaho - US

y4myNd4qDPzgvMM66bRtffpLzvcCwAvSuI-Y9Mx3

Updated:

EGCL Fenland - Fenland, UK (updated)

y4mDcMFz4W9_JiL7vf1-bwuxixiR16GSUUS3fq3e

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,203; downloads 2,487; subscribers 15

Mutley has put in place a new feature that auto-generates a posting to a new sub-forum, New Library Uploads, each time a new file is uploaded to the Mutley's Hangar File Library. Here's an example of the automatic result for one of my airport diagram posts, if you haven't already looked at one...

[EDIT: No longer valid...]

It's a neat thing and does essentially what I've been attempting to do here - puts new items under the nose of forum users without them having to go to the File Library to see if something new has been added. Like these forum posts, each one includes a link to the download page for that file.

I'm wondering if there's any value in me continuing to do these posts. Doing this is very little bother for me since I already do 90% of it for the daily e-mail to subscribers and I'll continue to do that at any rate. It only takes about three or four minutes to modify the e-mail and post it here. Anyway, would appreciate any comments about whether continuing to make these daily update posts has any value.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There's not much remarkable to comment on today about any of these airports. KCLL, Easterwood, in College Station TX is the only one of noteworthy size and complexity - it's from the sequester list. The other two new ones and the update, Fenland in the UK, are not quite in the same league. OA3, Smithville in TN is a paved muni, but from the looks of it they aren't going to be building a tower or hosting an air show there any time soon.

John

If you'd like to subscribe (free) and have all new and updated airport diagram files e-mailed to you,

contact me at allardjd@earthlink.net with a Subject Line of "Airport Diagram Subscription".

I personally enjoy reading your diagram adventures and short quips about each airport, this is missing from the download reports. Thanks for all you do to bring us up to date and accurate default airport plates. :thum:  :thum: :thum: If you decide to end this thread, know at least that I will miss it. :(  

9/3/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

EGQS Lossiemouth AB - Lossiemouth, UK

y4m7CBGUWDKrQCVPTy1E0rE81gCv6eYvLLNYBGf_

y4m_QTs4JsNwLCYsGRAQAfBSbn5cpSZyfLBGCGsY

KOWB Owensboro-Daviess Co - Owensboro, Kentucky - US

y4mKlE4pPCOsEt8pFjM2rGDX4X-4QQTos6gE9AfT

EGED Eday - Eday, UK

y4mwYm-xcK__cqK3xeRswbP6Oe3ZpNS3IOOGwhop

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,206; downloads 2,487; subscribers 15

I've left getting this written and sent/posted WAY too late, so am not going to get verbose on you tonight. Just want to point out that two of three in this batch are UK airports. Sometimes the airport list gods do that.

John

9/4/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

4M3 Carlisle Mun - Carlisle, Arkansas - US

y4mkAjzb0QnVoa8ZNJa8ATAF2O7NOb8gRUQ_xA0E

EGYC Coltishall AB - Coltishall, UK

y4mk15s1lH6nZvFh9oBz_frSnhUICWkG77CGd3k4

KRME Griffiss - Rome, New York - US

y4mUj-GyrX6YLp8MIAQ-HclgHsWjXRMhYan7k4uE

y4mIWjV0--Fw1bn940P95j_x0lG1qWI8wrNWT1Kf

Updated:

LFRT Armor - St Brieuc, France (updated)

y4mKAgPJYg2TDSOZpgMxmdv3nl9ak5vcpxuLIuW5

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,209; downloads 2,487; subscribers 15

4M3, Carlisle, in Carlisle AR (that's Arkansas, not Arizona) has a pair of paved runways at right angles that barely intersect near one end of each - an L-shaped layout. Both are of similar length, within a few feet, but one is over twice as wide as the other. Oddly, both the published approaches are to the narrow (65' wide) runway. Probably not unheard of, but not the usual thing.

KRME, Griffiss, in Rome NY is on the former Griffiss AFB. It has a big footprint and a single runway almost 12,000' long, but a lot of closed taxiways and unused areas. Buildings are sparse. Oddly, this one came from the sequester list, which means that it's one of the 148 airports at which the Obama administration intended to shut down the control towers because of the so-called sequestration budget cuts. However, in FSX, KRME is a non-towered airport. Figure that out. I suspect that at some point since FSX was published in 2006, KRME did open a tower.

I went to a second plate on KRME because of taxiway labeling, particularly marking all the closed ones. That would have cluttered up the primary view unacceptably.

John

That's what I figured happened. AF probably had a tower but when it went commercial didn't have one for a while. That was probably the case when FSX was published. Sometime after that they got one, and thus made the sequester list, but it doesn't show in FSX and there's no tower frequency.

John

9/5/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

KMSO Missoula Intl - Missoula, Montana - US

y4myuxc3W_-WBO6i80-872L6TPe_mS1oVgfn6YVI

y4mcOcOmohAtLVeRKMA0RB6W0yX-LPvF-bZU6Gc-

KHEF Manassas Regl/Davis - Manassas, Virginia - US

y4mQYN0RXOtmjzCp13WrOyQj4lNX3dNv1I7Ukq6a

y4m0X8NiHxVyU7xc2rMHPS4dHx3Z0EEYgYvUe1u4

KONL The O'Neill Mun-Baker - O'Neill, Nebraska - US

y4mVLcWv-afVExV7qpRLAernNIXAgDVLpwqhtphT

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,212; downloads 2,487; subscribers 15

I wrote a few days ago about the lack of an apostrophe and an embedded capital letter in a couple of airport/city names within the MS Airport data tables, namely Mcallister and Mcneill. Today we have, at KONL, O'Neill, properly treated. Not sure what to make of all that. I guess if that's the worst thing that happens to me today it's a good day.

Also in the KONL entry, we have an airport name field which contains "The O'Neill Mun-Baker". This is both a boneheaded airport name but also a doubly boneheaded way to enter the data into a database. Microsoft did it exactly that way, however, along with over 40 other airports with names beginning with "The...". I can't help wondering how many people have tried to find one of these airports by name and were not insightful enough to search on "The..." (rhymes with Duh - Coincidence? I think not.). Of course the proper way for this kind of value to be entered in the data tables is "O'Neill Mun-Baker, The" - ten million librarians can't be wrong. [/rant]

The other two, KMSO and KHEF are pretty good sized airports and both required two plates. KONL is not quite in the same league but isn't too bad a looking place either.

All three are US airports today - sorry guys. If that doesn't float your boat maybe tomorrow will be kinder - or maybe not. We'll see what the list gods cough up, however I do have a request list at work too and it's in the US. The selection from that list, at least, will be another US airport.

John

9/6/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

MT72 Hedditch - Corvallis, Montana - US

y4m-I54xR_jzZTRlTwOuOaJyuB11lG2Y3rMpycrz

KIAB McConnell AFB - Wichita, Kansas - US

y4mc7YH3Qo1dpM0RMyoS8IsKedMOvCmkTR2D5czg

KCXO Lone Star Executive - Houston, Texas - US

y4mMP_smj6wLFitgeYKFIh4r6MSQ4NVLCYn3A8_T

1U1 Moose Creek USFS - Moose Creek Ranger Stn, Idaho - US

y4mgtzXRx3Py0hR-CWGLBE6aFgsbl_ZwgzNHW2cf

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,216; downloads 2,487; subscribers 15

It looks like I kind of screwed the pooch today - this was an update day and I plumb forgot to do one. Oh, well, tomorrow's another day.

On the other hand, you get four new ones for the price of three today. The first one, MT72 was a puppy, and it didn't seem right to count it as one of the three for today so I charged ahead and did a fourth, also not to hard. MT72 came from a request list and if not for that, would not have made the cut to be diagrammed at all. 1U1 (who dreams up those ICAO codes?) isn't much better but has two runways (both grass, but they count) and a pair of COMM frequencies published, so that one cleared the bar on at least two measures.

The other two, KIAB, McConnell AFB (properly capitalized by MS, I note) and KCXO, Lone Star Executive in Houston, are both pretty full featured airports. I probably should have used two plates on them, but didn't this time out. The number of taxiway labels listed was relatively small for both, but they ended up having to be placed on the diagram many times so these both ended up with that cluttered look I don't like so much. They weren't bad enough to back up and do them over, however. I'm sure not everything da Vinci painted was a masterpiece either. Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you.

John

9/7/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

4U7 West Fork Lodge - Conner, Montana - US

y4mXe19hs2Z0_DqYqRd_3nZLiOvkKkNTgmUzjxiW

CJV8 Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids, Manitoba - Canada

y4mxIuvrJEIo2jhm5pEnz77oeE615c7szIpSDC-v

99MT Fox Field - Hamilton, Montana - US

y4mF1dQFTslXWEJjz4O_Bk8AB_Nj1T9zzB3UmEqM

Updated:

KGPT Gulfport-Biloxi Intl - Gulfport, Mississippi - US (updated)

y4mShL7kFmPBUoC813jpfK7nHgWAXNtV-pTKgNXc

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,219; downloads 2,488; subscribers 15

I remembered to do an update today. I'm not going to chase my tail trying to play catch-up, just need to remember to do one each day if I didn't do one the day before. It's not exactly rocket science - I should be able to manage this.

Two of the three new ones are from a request list and are small, simple fields. The other new one, the Canadian one, is about the same. Of those, two of the three would have qualified for a diagram anyway - only 99MT would not have made the cut save being on a request list and I don't mind doing the small ones if someone wants them for any reason.

The update, KGPT, Gulfport-Biloxi MS is the biggest of the four today by a fair margin - it's a real-deal airport with all the trimmings, is a joint-use field for the Mississippi Air National Guard and is home of a large cargo facility.

John

9/8/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

S92 Fish Lake USFS - Fish Lake, Idaho - US

y4mUPZkLbxNi-XGZqC6glLnxxL2gT-r-FDDCx9Eu

LDRI Rijeka - Krk Island, Croatia

y4m04zuSzG6jBhCvnzM5QpwQtOoRvlmUegpn3j3f

LFRJ Landivisiau Navy - Landivisiau, France

y4m6RcMFlnb63oFj3e90FwQ4O_epRQH6RCBWrD1E

A05 Dixie USFS - Dixie, Idaho - US

y4mSqxgBQwBBGJrAjGFLPpnJZ372NzRNFcqO0wAw

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,223; downloads 2,488; subscribers 15

Four more today, all new. The two US airports are very small and simple - from a request list - and required so little time and effort it wasn't a stretch to go with four instead of three. I've been doing that for the past two or three days. There are only a few more on that list.

The only airport today of any complexity is the French one, LFRJ, Landivisiau Navy and it's not all that much of an airport.

As for the Croatian one, LDRI, no, Krk Island is not misspelled. I'm assuming it's a very poor place and they weren't able to buy a vowel.

---------- NEW PROJECT ----------

I've begun a new project for adding missing RW waypoints (Intersections, GPS Waypoints, RNAV Waypoints, etc.) to FSX and making the compiled BGL file available for downloading. All the user will need to do for each update is to copy the new BGL file over the top of the old one, over-writing it. New files will be cumulative, containing all the previous add-on waypoints, plus any new ones. FS will recognize them and use them just as it does all the default ones.

I rolled out the first version a day or two ago with a paltry seventeen waypoints and have updated it tonight bringing the total to sixty. They accumulate much faster than airport diagrams, but I've been spending more time on them too. The BGL file and a Read-Me file, zipped, is available in a download from the Mutley's Hangar file library if you're interested. The link is...

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/10821-added-fsx-waypoints/

[EDIT: No longer valid...]

...you must be a MH member and be logged in to download.

I haven't started a subscription service to distribute the updated BGL file by e-mail but will consider it if the project doesn't fizzle out for lack of interest on the user's part or lack of ambition on mine.

I will consider requests for adding the waypoints from real-world flight publications if anyone has any preferences - STARS and DPs are the primary targets right now but Airways intersections and IAP waypoints are also fair game. I'm not going to do user-defined waypoints, only those from RW aviation pubs.

Just what I needed - another infinite, open-ended project. I must need my head examined.

Let me know what you think.

John

9/9/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

U81 Cold Meadows USFS - Cold Meadows Guard Station, Idaho - US

y4mHLJfysPhQKhrwKA_GuoV64AP_QkXv3krn1a0T

KASH Boire - Nashua, New Hampshire - US

y4mtj2LkaZ1p9woJvF6GcK-msnroLg7NzYBQV-99

0U0 Landmark USFS - Landmark, Idaho - US

y4m1ecMeJpokrRs19OyG5PSwOuO1qJi1hVTzl5fJ

Updated:

KNBC Beaufort MCAS - Beaufort, South Carolina - US (updated)

y4mtnguEBZFhc4daHjR4b_jK2BiXCkecb5IeIyWH

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,226; downloads 2,488; subscribers 15

Today being an update day, there are three new and an old one updated. In this case the update is KNBC, Beaufort MCAS, which is a big airfield. It has four runways, two of which are smallish and closed, however.

The two Idaho airports, both small, are from the request list I'm working on - one more day should see the finish of that. KASH was a surprise - when I saw the ICAO code on the sequester list I figured Ashland or Ashville, but was wrong on both counts - Nashua NH. It's a pretty good sized place and gives every impression that they weren't worried about the price of asphalt when they laid out the ramps.

John

9/10/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

U84 Coski Meml - Donnelly, Idaho - US

y4mevsZ7bNspCOrSz8MnnuCHIJehzO80qXGK495c

8B1 Hawthorne-Feather - Hillsboro, New Hampshire - US

y4menSyoEtEISMVCR5DRgW1QrEL5QbU1_Yn_qBoB

KHDN Yampa Valley - Hayden, Colorado - US

y4mHEg7OUvBqM5weYtb4N63jv4J5JDZfmiT5F4Wu

U70 Cascade - Cascade, Idaho - US

y4m5zQSfd-8K1IVbDXmTAm0w82zk0ylV5Z_2zUbo

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,230; downloads 2,488; subscribers 16

Thus ends the Montana/Idaho request list - U84 and U70 are the last of those, finishing off the list. I've been doing two a day from that list and filling in the other two slots from the standard lists. I'll be back to using the four standard lists in rotation tomorrow, but will probably drop back to three new airports per day.

U84, Coski Meml in Donnelly ID, had the distinction of being the 900th US airport in the collection.

From the amazing coincidences department, 8B1 in Hillsboro NH is the second New Hampshire airport in as many days.

All the lists are randomized and these two, 8B1 today and KASH yesterday even came from separate lists. It's all the more surprising when you consider that these are only the 4th and 5th NH airports in the collection.

John

9/11/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

GCRR Lanzarote - Lanzarote, Spain

y4momFh_rscodEnvlLNBJYGEz2Q7uTJnBFXxBJ4k

SPJL Manco Capac Intl - Juliaca, Peru

y4mchjLnLZZ5l8Adrb_AVWxHkEYWPHXgAQ26y8yA

SLOR Juan Mendoza - Oruro, Bolivia

y4mGPO0FR3sDmeoQvtAnaQYa8PUHBNYB8_HVEq2O

Updated:

EGYM Marham AB - Marham, UK (updated)

y4m3qK4lHAcAFrsLHR2y0lzyKTZFX0lVoeoSEMub

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,233; downloads 2,488; subscribers 16

I know I said yesterday I'd be back to the routine lists today, but another request list has emerged and that's got top priority now. The next ten days or so will be far-flung, world-wide destinations, with no or few US airports included. I will continue to include an update of the oldest airport in the collection every other day, so those will be what they turn out to be.

As you might expect, the Peruvian and Bolivian airports in today's selection are at very high elevations, both over 12,000'. That's mighty thin air so be wary if you give them a try. Your aircraft will not have sea level performance.

GCRR (sounds like a railroad), Lanzarote, is in the Canary Islands.

John

9/12/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

SCCF El Loa - Calama, Chile

y4mU5CEAgBeZlPqNkDGYfuukSpzMBQLiT_wSe4Gi

SA11 Campo Arenal - Campo Arenal, Argentina

y4mbQrbMBJTt40EH3y09CN7iPSBFvebKgpm_IzLQ

NZKT Kaitaia - Kaitaia, New Zealand

y4mTkbESspyAv41mwEdITYFkJ5TVvSdztkSHwH1C

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,236; downloads 2,488; subscribers 16

Work on the international request list continues. None of this bunch today were major airports by any description.

John

9/13/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

NZTO Tokoroa - Tokoroa, New Zealand

y4mKaoFgs6sjhabsZHZ6ZLTlVGE1vBtfstKsw1Nh

NZNP New Plymouth - New Plymouth, New Zealand

y4mLh0WonXBZDoTsKpRAsLYtlLyr9DPGMyk-uqpv

NZWB Woodbourne (Military) - Blenheim, New Zealand

y4me5GhErJpLbCRy4Yp9rvF1kIBJxuwMkNHMwogN

Updated:

MUPB Playa Baracoa - Havana, Cuba (updated)

y4msy6phVFmn5VPT6672u51OADQaICV3MSmVpiwK

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,239; downloads 2,488; subscribers 16

I'm continuing to pound away on this international request list on this Friday the 13th - always a lucky day for me. The three new airports today are all in New Zealand. None of these is particularly large - there isn't an ILS amongst them and only one has labeled taxiways, but they're all interesting looking airports nonetheless.

The update is a minor airport in the Havana, Cuba area. Updates are currently coming from airports I first diagrammed in November of 2009.

John

9/14/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

NZNV Invercargill - Invercargill, New Zealand

y4mx9G8F3j-sCfHzT7V55gnP6Cfg3TcPaOjB_s7r

YCDU Ceduna - Ceduna, South Australia - Australia

y4mYPHfcZdNH1MyzmoSns0VtkvNqSMiRMBwlso_G

YWBR Warburton - Warburton, Western Australia - Australia

y4mCgOC9OOq1aLvdOWgTcu45o7dQR3V8_hR6Unfc

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,242; downloads 2,488; subscribers 16

More of the same from the request list that's being worked presently. There's one more in Australia to do and then the list moves off to the NW from there.

The three today are relatively small, simple airports.

John

9/15/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

YBWP Weipa - Weipa, Queensland - Australia

y4m6OJnFTxKprE7mmIBlw1sX-39CbdD1v2atygPW

WABP Moses Kilangin - Timika, Indonesia

y4mPe2L6Dc8x8NwxPMS-MSFsXahaKTduksruAWF5

WIHL Tunggul Wulung - Cilacap, Indonesia

y4mqpMLv10JBIATntfqnrHt0j4fx25EN37nEMbto

Updated:

EGSP Sibson - Peterborough, UK (updated)

y4mdLlr5pL0umguof30G-cnbVUQdZozZZdKz2gcm

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,245; downloads 2,488; subscribers 16

Plodding on with the request list - most of these airports are surprisingly small, but they're all paved. A few more days will see the end of this list.

John

9/16/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

WMKD Kuantan - Kuantan, Malaysia

y4mexXMBh18smJXXL0XhrCYJqpqzzahvlXOWVL-V

VOPB Port Blair - Port Blair, India

y4mo9uEABQN5BKT-Ua0UYoXEIkrYyQK2VBDj3BYk

VCCC Colombo - Ratmalana, Sri Lanka

y4msvzf9duaJ9b3anmc7SyfdcC6eN_lzzQ79-e-O

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,248; downloads 2,488; subscribers 16

Marching toward Blighty with the current request list, with one each in Malaysia, India and Sri Lanka. All are fairly easy airports. I expected Colombo to be bigger.

At WMKD in Malaysia, the taxiway labeling looks like a work in progress. Some are labeled, some are not, including some that are begging to be. It looks very much like whoever was doing the airport originally got interrupted before he was quite finished.

John

9/17/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

HKNW Wilson - Nairobi, Kenya

y4mncD1aK_culjKwr8nuMEXr1yBmwYWszeZGvYNZ

y4m16bU4AYrB2W0DsrAWTUBugJjdQZ7Ib-NtwpEd

HUJI Jinja - Jinja, Uganda

y4m4oFGH0y7dEtmZb6QNBhzOPO2iGNfYnnRyFvdo

HESH Sharm El Sheikh Intl - Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt

y4mevYcH3WSCeocCy11pOcVc9gx-hhZaul9sG5wB

y4mVUz3E9BI2VNQof3bOqvaVnhLSgZik2lAJPdLC

Updated:

KCSG Columbus Metro - Columbus, Georgia - US (updated)

y4mB691pBWogO7ckCMtEfoNZf7aLYgyBJO8zyGv5

y4m-f55a04ZjscThoDDeBGFJkcNfT7P6txcvzE_j

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,251; downloads 2,488; subscribers 16

Yesterday Asia, today Africa, plus an update. I think there are two days work remaining on the request list I'm working through. Going against the grain of recent ones, two of today's new diagrams and the update required two plates. Also, the update, Columbus Metro in Columbus GA, KCSG, even had some custom buildings to bring in - I'd almost forgotten how to do that it's been so long since I've encountered any.

John

9/18/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

LG54 Tympaki - Tympaki, Greece

y4mgf2RiruKFx3tl6AUPHDsQYskjVCE38qgbthwD

DTMB Habib Bourguiba - Monastir, Tunisia

y4mQ3_qoLlzJtmeWo8Uq3b1-Gfw89j_DlyLQ0e4-

LIRJ Marina Di Campo - Marina Di Campo - Italy

y4mv8N40VDqLUHPAYxFZDvRKJg80V3raQ7bhwyCh

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,254; downloads 2,488; subscribers 16

Greece, Italy and Tunisia today. None of these are exactly nosebleed airports. I think the highest field elevation of the bunch is something like 30 feet. Two of them have single-digit field elevations.

If the global warming weenies are right, those will soon be seaplane bases, but of course the algore-allegations that we'll all soon be treading water should be filed along with political promises, marketing claims, mileage estimates, investment prospectuses, survey results and other sources of creative writing, propaganda, wishful thinking or deliberate subterfuge. I expect they'll continue to use the hard-surface runways at those locations for a long time to come - at least until the Next Great Flight Simulator is published.

Two more airports remain on the request list I'm working and then I'll be back to my other routine airport lists. I really do have a list of my lists...

John

9/19/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

LSZA Lugano - Lugano, Switzerland

y4miXXqTg00Y98VLyzGUeSEcz7XoVWgrzkmEICy1

EDTR Herten-Rheinfelden - Herten-Rheinfelden, Germany

y4mOb8vmD4TTf9JNBWNlPswQrHzg6APmHok501vT

CYBB Kugaaruk - Kugaaruk, Nunavut - Canada

y4menm-VFuOs3z6t9xSf1FSLbsqHfix7B6A4CIkn

Updated:

MYAM Marsh Harbour - Marsh Harbour, Bahamas (updated)

y4mamwsfNtDb6NXRs8z1lYW-v2MpCuS5cAghllQu

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,258; downloads 2,489; subscribers 16

The last two from the request list are done, Switzerland and Germany. None of these today are particularly complex - the Swiss one more so than the rest but it's still a pretty small field. Barring another request list appearing, it's back to the normal lists. In fact, CYBB in the Great White North is the first one that popped up after dropping back into those four standard lists.

Where will tomorrow's airports be - who knows? I don't unless I look ahead. I can say that at least one will be a towered US airport because the list of sequester airports is the next up and those are all towered US fields. Aside from that, it's anyone's guess. Stay tuned and be surprised right along with me.

John

9/20/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

KRYN Ryan - Tucson, Arizona - US

y4mv06_AOEyr_CS4oKYdzc-OkgaGxmywKVfhVsmn

y4m7akn_PCENYi16WheBkcxj-Pzvk339WUiuuv_3

CKZ7 Winkler - Winkler, Manitoba - Canada

y4mTVClI31P8vtWd3eULCHXbUef_MPt7X5ZW7-9h

KPYM Plymouth Mun - Plymouth, Massachusetts - US

y4mVgdEi4Lgn_D-WB9CoBAYMkAqbS0JP8nEX-sDc

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,261; downloads 2,489; subscribers 16

For some reason I notice odd things when I'm doing airport diagrams. Today it was runway widths. The three airports today have seven runways between them and every single one of them is 75' wide. That's not a terribly common runway width, so it's all the more unusual to have so many come up on the same day and no others, with airports drawn from three separate lists. Statistically, anything is possible, I guess. I probably should have run out and bought a lottery ticket while the gods of randomness were so giddy.

All three of these are multi-runway airports and are reasonably complex. CKZ7 is the least so, but still has two strips and buildings and a fuel pump. They must have shot the wad on that because there appears to have not been any money left for navaids. The other two had custom buildings - just a handful for each one. KRYN, Ryan in Tucson AZ, is the one from the sequester list and had enough taxiways that I needed a second plate for that one.

If anyone is interested, I've started a project for adding missing waypoints in FSX. I have posted a zip file in the MH File Library and have updated it several times as I add more waypoints. It unzips to a read-me file and a BGL that you must copy into your FSX installation. That's all that's required and the 350 + new waypoints will be in your sim. Each update, as it comes out, is cumulative - includes all the others, and the file name remains the same. When a new one is released, copying it over the top of the old one gives you everything to date and there's only one file to manage. I'll be adding batches of 50+ every few days if this goes according to plan.

These are probably only potentially useful if you fly with real-world aviation charts, STARs, etc., but even if you don't, they don't hurt anything by being there. A lot has changed in the RW since FSX was published in 2006.

Have a look here if adding missing waypoints to FSX without doing any of the leg work floats your boat...

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/files/file/2473-added-fsx-waypoints/

[EDIT] Link no longer valid - e-mail me if interested.

John

9/21/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

SPLP Las Palmas - Lima, Peru

y4mvpCVvdj3RrpL9L5IiCY2D6PH00pDoUdvZM5J6

KPVU Provo Mun - Provo, Utah - US

y4mQ1JRMPN_6UgFwKphSHJrckEGJ6Gq_Ivj5u-k6

XS46 Port O'Connor Private - Port O'Connor, Texas - US

y4m0kCUbK5reYCxptY7RK-IKIKP-Kf3i8EFpmRXI

Updated:

EGSY Sheffield City - Sheffield, UK (updated)

y4mrQFR7ZmJw9nLer0QB_usaEppznCzMM15djXGT

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,264; downloads 2,489; subscribers 16

The batch today includes an update, Sheffield City Airport, EGSY, in the city of the same name. I noticed something odd about this one while updating the diagram today. The place seems to have lost it's control tower from FS9 to FSX. In FS9 it had frequencies for Tower, Approach and an ATIS channel. In FSX there's just a MULTICOMM frequency. I suspect this probably reflects a real-world change too. GA in Europe has not gotten to be a better environment in the last couple of decades. It's dwindling because of high costs and creeping regulations, primarily to align with EC aviation rules, mostly driving a lot of people out of the bottom end of General Aviation.

The others are pretty ordinary. SPLP, Las Palmas in Lima, Peru came from the military airfields list and is pretty sparse as airports go. Provo is the most complex one today, coming from the US sequester list. Rounding out the three new ones is XS46, a private Texas airport in Port O'Connor (properly apostrophed and capitalized in FSX). It has a pair of grass runways and little more.

John

9/22/13 Airport Diagrams

New:

Y14 Skie-Lincoln Co - Tea, South Dakota - US

y4mXeoXcg8WeYdwv1ieF63HTrPnNf56XIgE-anoc

LIMS Piacenza Mil - Piacenza, Italy

y4mQFy3nKsM3NGJJc2V8Zf4nfJdZz9yzmTLpF4kq

KCNW TSTC Waco - Waco, Texas - US

y4mlZg1_iyJwNOKHqAgVUOQXIAiER_GyZNz3GGG5

Updated:

None

Current Airport Diagram Stats @ Mutley’s Hangar: Uploads 2,267; downloads 2,491; subscribers 16

These three are all "proper" airports, big enough to have parallel taxiways and some of the other niceties that we sometimes don't see at the low-end airports. I was kind of intrigued by the city name of the Y14 airport and looked it up. Apparently when the city name was being debated one resident suggested "Beer". They stuck with the beverage theme but decided that "Tea" was more socially palatable.

LIMS is a military field in Italy.

KCNW's airport name is listed in FS as "Tstc Waco" and in some places, "tstc Waco". I wasn't sure what was up with that and did a little digging into that one too. It turns out that it's an acronym for Texas State Technical College and should probably be fully capitalized. I did that on this list but left the airport name on the actual diagram exactly as it was copied out of the FSX data. Wouldn't you think the guys who published Word would be a little better at this kind of thing?

KCNW, by the way, comes from the sequester list.

John