My 8800 GT is very tired and occasionally fails - black screen but FSX sound continues. The Left-Shift plus Numeric-Minus FLUSH command has no effect (maybe I've got the character string wrong?) and I have to restart the PC. Sometimes, the 8800 stays dead and I get the "beeeep-beep-beep-beep" error code on restarting the PC. So, it's time to replace the GPU, methinks...

Now, the 660 GTX looks attractive. It's a 2 Gbyte card and will cost around 135 GBP, so it's affordable. Also, a few pundits reckon that as FSX is CPU bound, a more expensive GPU might not be worth it. Longer term I will be replacing my Asus mobo and Intel quad CPU, but not immediately, so a new GPU comes first. Do any of you have any comments on my proposed choice? If you have, I'd be very grateful for guidance and suggestions - maybe an alternative GPU, even.

Thanks! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Dai

Have a look at this the MSI 770Ti and a price you will love and next day delivery..

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-750ti-gaming-twin-frozriv-oc-pcie-30-5400mhz-gddr5-gpu-1085mhz-boost-1163mhz-cores-640-d

I am thinking of getting this to use with DX10; (14% faster than a Titan), as I am going back to triple monitors...................... :stars:  :wow:  :woot:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-asus-gtx-760x2-mars-pcie-30-(x16)-6004mhz-gddr5-gpu-1006mhz-boost-1072mhz-cores-2304-dvi-d-dvi-i

the gtx 660 if memory serves me has a better chipset, i have the gtx 660 ti 3GB card and according to toms hardware that knocks all the 700 series into the weeds except for the 780. the extra 1 gb of memory makes a huge difference on performance more so than the later chipset.

I cannot fault my GPU

Dai,

Whilst it's true that FSX performance is CPU bound, upgrading your graphics card can still have a dramatic improvement in frame rates, particularly if you are ticking the 'anti-aliasing' box, unfortunately it does normally also have a dramatic effect on your wallet.

My upgrade to a GTX 670 gave me about a 50% improvement in frame rates, but at a cost of jumping from a £65 gpu to a £300 gpu, not counting the cost of a modern motherboard which could take advantage of its wider bandwidth interface.

If you are also running X-Plane then a high end graphic card will give you even greater gains.

Thanks!

@ Ray - the 670 looks good, but I'm not sure my PSU will handle the extra watts!

@ Phil = I saw your ad, but my current GPU was behaving at the time - DOH!

Cheers - Dai. :cool: