Radar Contact 4 HELP!

Hi guys,

I know I can trust you guys to help me out with this problem i am having.

I know Mutley and probably many of you guys might use Radar Contact instead of default ATC.

I seem to be having a problem where by Radar Conatct ATC is giving me an altitude and when I get to this altitude ATC keeps saying please make sure you are at the correct altitude etc! even tho i am at that altitude. Plus this problem only seems to happen in the Airbus series volume one aircraft!

They seem to be satisfied i am at the correct altitude when i descend a futher 1000ft. eg 'please descend and maintain 4000ft' but i have to descend to 3000ft to shut them up!

Could it be something to do with the altimeter??

I know i can rely on you guys! Any help would be great!

CaptHill

There are at least two possibilities here, and they're kind of related - altimeter setting and transition altitude.

What part of the world are you in? What is the transition altitude for that location? What is your altimeter set to?

You must set your altimeter to the standard 29.92 inches or 1013 millibars when above the transition atltitude. It's 18,000 in the US but varies from country to country. RC knows what it should be for wherever you are flying and expects you to have your altimeter set accordingly. If the actual barometric pressure where you're flying doesn't happen to be close to the standard value, that can introduce a sizeable error in your altitude.

Also, the RC support forum at AVSIM is very, very good and if no one here can help, I'm sure you can get a definitive answer there.

John

John,

Thank you very much for your help, your advice to pop over to the AVSIM forum was very helpful and i have sorted the problem. It was indeed a case of incorrectly set altimeter! With lots of thunderstorms in the area etc, the standard pressure and local pressure must have been very different and this caused Radar contact to hassle me. I'm now clued up on Altimeter settings.....however i do neeed to find the altimeters on the rest of my aircraft.

CaptHill

Glad to be of some help, even if it's only pointing to those who can...

I'm happy to hear that you've solved it. RC is a great piece of work and the support forum is model of what they all ought to be. It's not a chat forum for idle conversation (those have a place too), but if you've got a problem, it's the place where you can be assured of getting the correct answer.

John