GAAR 2011 PIREP - Leg 7

Welcome to the longest leg of our journey, but it sure was a fun one with the great scenery and a few detours to dodge the hills (you did factor those into the 4,500ft cruise didn't you Dai?)

For some reason when I arrived in the cockpit the passengers had legged it, maybe they didn't like my aftershave or the fact that they saw me in the terminal with my dog guide-dog-emoticon.gif

At leat Sharon could sit back and relax

-2011-feb-18-002.jpg

So with an empty cabin I departed towards the RMD NDB

-2011-feb-18-001.jpg

The weather here was ok, clouds at around 5,000ft and the odd burst of turbulence, nothing too bad for old Dizzie

-2011-feb-18-003.jpg

Here was the first minor detour

-2011-feb-18-005.jpg

The 282nm to YCHT flew (groan) past and before long we were in the circuit to perform a touch & go

-2011-feb-18-007.jpg

And off we go again...

-2011-feb-18-008.jpg

...to dodge some cliffs

-2011-feb-18-009.jpg

After rounding the cliffs I descended down to 1,500ft for the landing, the local scenery was brilliant

-2011-feb-18-010.jpg

I had expected a tough landing as the runway was only 1900ft long, but I was in for a bit of a shock when I saw the 'airport'

-2011-feb-18-011.jpg

And as I got closer it became apparent that some bright spark had planted a tree at the end of the active runway

-2011-feb-18-012.jpg

A lot of rudder and an interesting apporoach angle later, I was all parked up a the shed and enjoying a brew

-2011-feb-18-013.jpg

Good time, Rob - looks like a possible score of 98.76 for that Leg - Well Done, mate! :thum:

Where's the scenery from - I had to fly with default all the way - pretty dull, except for the high ground, which was a bit scary, even at 5000'! And that air-strip - good thing they'd mowed the grass before I got there!?! :whis:

@ Chuck - you don't miss much, eh?? :yess:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

That airport needs an exclusion rectangle to take care of that tree. It's the AFCAD equivalent of a chainsaw (or a bulldozer where buildings intrude).

Nice work - I envy you the scenery, but I could have been flying over most anything and wouldn't have seen much of it.

John