P3D The Future Is Clearer, I Think

As some of you or most of you know there have been some statements made over on avsim which have effectively clarified their stance as regards eulas. As usual it is not what people have chosen to say but what they have chosen not to say that shows who is going in what direction. It is now quite clear that LM have the licence to develop p3d (FSX) and its underlying programs for professionals, that may be airforces, Navies, flying schools, whatever even student pilots, quite understandable, after all they are an aviation orientated company, however they do not have the right to distribute P3D for entertainment purposes as this is M.S's area of expertise per se. One big clue is that LM refer to P3D as a simulation while M.S. call fsx a game.

It may well be that M.S. have a code sharing agreement with LM so that at some time in the future when LM have sufficiently developed P3D (version2?) at their cost!! they will be able to take that code and name it fsx11 or whatever and distribute it to the public for entertainment.

There are indications that since the debacle/failure of Flight that the whole team of developers for that program have again been either sacked or put in other non aviation orientated areas thus putting the tin hat on the possibility of a new in house simulation being developed anywhere in the future, The bean counters at M.S. simply wouldnt allow it, so it would appear that the ever lengthening list of poor decisions made by M.S in recent years continues. Come back Mr. Gates all is forgiven!!

The end result as I see it is that P3D is the future as far as our fsx is concerned It may well be that xplane get their act together and take advantage of the situation but they will need to input a mass of mods and increase their rate of development because IMHO they are still several years behind FSX when kitted out with some of the millions of aftermarket add-ons. Whilst there are potentially other promising sims in the wings, they are all in need of a huge cash injection to enable them to be competitive quickly and in the current climate I cant see that happeneing.

The only sticking point for LM is sadly a legal one as highlighted by PMDG and it goes back to their eulas, the fact that they are making a program for professional purposes may well interfere with agreements from manufacturers like Boeing or Airbus who have licenced the like of PMDG et al to create their programs for entertainment purposes as there are some fundamental differences in the behaviour of an a/c produced for entertainment compared with a real a/c or sim. Remember the eula of fsx specifically forbade its use as a professional training aid, yes i know many still do but----

The ramifications to say for example PMDG if someone used their NGX as a professional trainer, and then went out in a real a/c trying to reproduce certain performance figures or whatever, and then causing havoc or an accident , are huge and this is what I believe may stifle to a degree the amount of a/c available in the future for P3D , unless developed in house, scenery is not the same problem so that will be developed or carried over from FSX

Time will tell!!

Hi Nigel,

What gets me is P3D has aircraft like the Connie and Lightning from Just Flight that are hardly accurate "simulations", I would regard them more as a game. There seem to be an evolving grey area in regard to what is acceptable in P3D.

as i said time will tell , if I am wrong you can point it out and i will eat humble pie however there is no doubt that windows 8 will follow flight in obscurity as did vista and windows 2000, it is only suitable for tablets and smartphones. I cant see all you lot on this site going out and buying a touch monitor and having to clean fingerprints off it twice a day :)

as for the announcement of a new games studio i herald it except for one thing it is focussed on windows 8 tablet development and i doubt you could even play flight on one of them so it will be dumbed down games for dumbed down windows.

It is interesting to note that a few bright sparks have already released a bolt on for win8 that gets rid of the metro gui/modern gui or the thing previously called metro. it is sort of sad, like the singer that was previously called ponce or was it prince :)

At any rate M.S. is i predict on the verge of massive redundancies after all they have just finished windows 365 which few companies will use due to its cloud based structure and no large company that values its info will put anything on the cloud as those responsible for the cloud wont accept responsibility for any loss, damage etc Most average people are still happy with office 2000 or the like as it does everything that they want so why pay x to get a few more add ons? BYOD wont happen because again the security risk except in a few places.

the new windows server has been released so another load twiddling their fingers other than safety mods,

There will no doubt already be quite a few engaged in making a win8 update/replacement after the lukewarm response it has received from the press so I would expect rumours of a win 9 to start surfacing just after christmas when they have had time to digest the poor christmas results, just like vista.

as i said time will tell but I think M.S. need a change of direction. steve ballmer was a good support act to gates a replacement he isnt.

Hi Nigel,

What gets me is P3D has aircraft like the Connie and Lightning from Just Flight that are hardly accurate "simulations", I would regard them more as a game. There seem to be an evolving grey area in regard to what is acceptable in P3D.

I agree Joe but I think you hit it on the head. without wishing to diss someones hard work, some JF stuff is very average, great to mess around with, but not in the same league as say PMDG so when used with a "professional" tool which I have no doubt LM want P3D to be considered, I doubt that any third party who suffered a connie or lightning crashing into their swimming pool could reasonably claim that JF were responsible and therefore liable to pay, despite being on a "professional" simulation. however the liability issue may get cloudier if someone used the ngx or up and coming airbusX from aerosoft on a "professional simulation" we all know how litigation happy the US is and every lawyer in the land over there is looking to find , not the fault, but the person most able to pay even, if he had precious little to do with the event. So i dont think this would apply to say classic a/c which are rare to see let alone get onboard. the relevance is to modern stuff readily available and the accuracy of their product.

Take a cessna 152 for example it is easier to fly than your car is to drive, there are loads of models available of varying accuracy put this in a simulator and sooner or later some sprog is going to see if he can skip the wheels in his neighbours pool, when he finally discovers that he can then it is sods law that as he knows how simple they are to fly he will steal a 152 and try to reproduce the same trick in reality, except in reality there are trees around the pool that catch him.

so as you can see it is a difficult one to know at which point an a/c would be considered too accurate for the publics or non professionals use..

And then we come to the thorny question of the agreement between a major manufacturer and their agreement with a 3rd party developer which allowed something to be created for the entertainment business that was missing a few valid details but would they allow the same to be used on a "professioal simulator" when they market their own simulation to pilots at great cost? perhaps not!

I must say it is a sad day that it will all come down to legal eagles but as P3D is squarely aimed at the pro market you may well find that the most accurate a/c reproductions wont be piped over, i do hope that I am wrong.

We are almost within the realms of the the 911 atrocities. We know they were carried out by extremists who used Microsoft Flight Sim to familiarise themselves with the cockpit, more than likely with the Level-D 767 Addon. If you saw Jack's (Aircraft aviation's) hardware panels based around the Level-D 767 it could be real. Could MS/Level-D be sued for making it too real? No ones a winner here, least of all those 1000's of innocent people who lost their lives.

I agree that it would be a sad day when you can't even say boo to a goose. It's all revenue to legal eagles hopefully common sense will prevail.

Joe

We are almost within the realms of the the 911 atrocities. We know they were carried out by extremists who used Microsoft Flight Sim to familiarise themselves with the cockpit, more than likely with the Level-D 767 Addon. If you saw Jack's (Aircraft aviation's) hardware panels based around the Level-D 767 it could be real. Could MS/Level-D be sued for making it too real? No ones a winner here, least of all those 1000's of innocent people who lost their lives.

I agree that it would be a sad day when you can't even say boo to a goose. It's all revenue to legal eagles hopefully common sense will prevail.

Joe

I was also going to mention the 911 issue but shied off it:)

However i am also surprised some legal nutter hasnt tried to sue m.s over this event. to give an example:

as reported in aopa some years ago

a felow was practicing aerobatics over his local airfield in the couse of this he got something wrong and crashed on the edge of the a/f. the local crash gang (firemen) who had been watching the display jumped into their engine and went charging around the peri trak at full tilt. As luck would have it at the same moment a property developer was hammering in a sign on a bit of adjacent land inside the a/f boundaries as the firemen came around the corner they ran wide and ran over the developer. They stopped and quickly realised that there was nothing to be done for the developer so they hurried on their way to see if they could help the downed pilot, sadly he also was beyond help.

So what hapens next ? the developers family decided to sue the person responsible for their heads death, and guess what it wasnt the firemen but the family of the dead pilot, not because he caused the accident but because the family were well off and deemed able to pay! the local fire dept relied on volunteers as they had no money.

If I remember rightly they also won.

Thankfully the law in the uk is more susceptible to common sense but for how long?