end of flight

Glad you've worked things out, you two, but can I ask a completely unrelated question?

John, why does your Mr Powell call himself "Colon"? Ever since the 2nd Iraq War, I've puzzled about this...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

just a nice example of what churchill said "two nations divided by the same language"  Now if you really want to get confused get you two guys and a guy from the west of ireland all trying to talk about the same thing I think we would all explain ourselves better of we used sign language :)

John, why does your Mr Powell call himself "Colon"? Ever since the 2nd Iraq War, I've puzzled about this...

1) He doesn't, but others sometimes call him that.

2) While I honor him for his long and faithful military service to the US, his behavior since retiring his military rank does sometimes make him deserving of being referred to as the slang term for an anatomical feature just south of the one you mention.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've often wondered about the pronunciation of Colin Powell the US Politician's name too, I always used to hear him referred to on UK TV news as he would *like* the pronunciation to be heard I guess? and not as it is in our country ... I dunno?

I would say my name Colin like this, but even an accent comes into play here too when trying to describe I suppose?

Kolin

Colin Powell's usage on the news even from British reporters as ...

Kohlin

EDIT: To confuse matters even further, one of my American hero's is Colin Edwards (The Texan Tornado) is one of my Motorcycle race heroes, in interviews he's always addressed as Colin the same way we say Colin here, not the Kohlin Powell way :)

Heh, just as  well we were not using mics here, because after spending most of my early life as an RAF brat family touring Europe and adopting different accents while being schooled everywhere, nobody here apart from Needles would understand my current (apparent) thick Scots accent now ... and I'm guessing Brian is originally from down south too.

Good stuff, good banter, its good to get along :thum:

Colin, I think what you hear on the UK news is similar to what we hear - the normal pronunciation of his first name, by himself and the media, seems to be with a long O.  It  probably is the Americanized version of the name here in general, though it's still a relatively uncommon name on this side of the great wetness.

John