ENB Series CTD when starting FSX

I want to use ENB series but when I put it in my FSX folder and start FSX it crashes to desktop with a fatal error? I have windows 7 64bit

I stress this is when I open FSX not switching between window and full screen modes (plenty on internet to read on that)

Anyone had this before?

Thanks,

Jim

I recently switched to DX10 with the new shader it actually works like a champ. The only downside to DX10 is not 100% of the planes/textures work as they are greyed out since they aren't full FSX or DX10 compatible. Other than that I think it looks better than when I was using FSX with the ENB.

To install the new DX10 shader and a great "how to" I'd suggest this link: http://forum.avsim.n...the-how-to-doc/

I've used several different ENB most came from the REX forums. I think you have to be a member there, it's free to register like here, but once you register you can view the forums. There are several different ones described in their forums. I tried a couple, bluesphere, natural plus, and a few others. I found the "natural plus" to be the best looking in my opinion. Once you register on their forums here is the link to the post that has the ENB files: http://www.realenvir...nload-included/

I did have CTD when I had the ENB in FSX, the strange thing is it wasn't 100% of the time, it wasn't even 75% of the time, so it was hard to pinpoint what was actually causing it. However, once I removed the ENB the CTD didn't occur anymore at start-up. My buddy actually added the ENB this weekend and starting having CTD issues. He has since removed it and now the CTD have gone away.

I really enjoy the way the ENB makes FSX look, but have been equally impressed with the DX10 as listed above. I don't have the CTD like I did w/ ENB. The only downfall to the DX10 is a lot of my payware planes do not work, I guess they would "work" but their textures are all greyed out. I've found basically it's any plane I have that was made for FS9/FSX, if the plane isn't made for FULL FSX then it doesn't play nice with DX10.

In the same DX10 threads at avsim they also talk about realistic looking water. I have REX 2.0 Overdrive and I recently added strikeking software's DX10 compatible wave animation and I think it looks absolutely amazing. Here is the link to strikeking, again it's freeware: http://www.strikings...downloads.shtml

Here are some examples of my DX10 water using Strikeking Software textures, the rest are REX 2.0 overdrive.

2012-11-12_19-15-38-58.png

2012-11-13_14-34-0-230.png

Other than that rambling post I made, sorry I can't be more help w/ the ENB. I have tried it and like you did have issues with CTD. Maybe if you ask over in the REX forums where some of those flight simmers work on creating different sets for the ENB they might have some suggestions on how to keep the CTD from happening.

One thing I have been messing with is adjusting my graphics card outside of FS9/FSX. I read online that adjusting the anti-aliasing, and other effects and telling it to override other programs might help.

I did this in FS9 to try it out, I made all the changes in my nivdia control panel then unchecked all the changes inside FS9 and locked my frames on 30, I get a constant 29.9, the views are smooth as butter with TrackIR4 and the plane and textures looks very smooth and clean. I'll post some screen shots next time I get a chance. I actually enjoy flying FS9 better than FSX as I don't have the CTD in FS9. I honestly think, even if you have a nasa super computer FSX will sometimes CTD. I think it was incomplete, with MS shutting down the development team it lacked the final patches or fixes for some of the issues. It's a great sim, but FS9 nevers gives me fits like FSX does on occasion.

Good luck sir and happy flying,

Gus

Edit: here are 2 FS9 screenshots of my water...they aren't as zoomed in as the FSX shots, I'm not the best camera guy out there, but to me the FS9 look almost as good as the FSX ones, the pictures don't do the water textures on FS9 justice.

fs9water.jpg

fs9water2.jpg