creating or adding a new panel ?

I have FS Panel Studio for FSX. I also have some extra gauges SimFlyer & Friendly Panels along with my other payware gauges.

What I'm wanting/hoping to be able do accomplish is, with the default FSX C172 I'd like to add the GPS window to the right side of the VC. There is a big blank-metal area on the right side, this is where I'd like to add the GPS Pop-up window as a permanent window.

I've read the FS Studios manual and have been able to "swap" out gauges which I've done w/ the radio stack and all the analog gauges, it looks sweet and everything works like a champ.

How do I go about adding a new gauge? When I want to swap a gauge all I do is left-click to highlight it then right-click, select swap and choose my new gauge. How do I make a blank area a "click-able area" so I can add a gauge?

To edit the other gauges and radio stack I opened panel.MAIN, it seems like what I need is another panel to open, something like panel.mainRIGHT, this would show me the right side of the dashboard.

Hopefully this makes sense???

Thanks.

Gus

I've done extensive panel work in 2D and pop-ups but have never fooled with the 3D panels. I normally fly with the 3D panel using TrackIR but if anything is missing, non-functional, covered by the yoke, etc, my solution is to create a pop-up and populate that with whatever I want to add. I pop-that up, un-dock it and drag it to the second monitor where it remains immobile, preventing mouse-pointer archery where I'm trying to "spear" something in the 3D panel while trying to keep my head perfectly still.

For the most part, my objective is to set up things that don't require the keyboard at all and to put things that need frequent mousing on pop-ups, on the second display.

Not much help, I'm afraid, but that's how I attack the problem.

John

Thank you sir,

I only have the one monitor, I guess I have 2 if you include this one but it's not hooked up the FSX machine and I'm not 100% sure how to go about doing that. If there is a readme/how to on that I could try that too.

Right now the GPS530 works great if I press my "GPS key" it pops up and I can do my thing, I just thought it would be cool to add it to the right-side of the panel, basically where I would expect the glove box to be. The area that I'm wanting to edit is found in the texture "172_2_C". I know how to repaint planes so working w/ this texture file I'm pretty sure isn't where I'm need to be. I figure editing the panel.cfg either manually or through FS Panel Studio is where I'd start.

I was happy with being able to edit/change/swap out gauges to make it look all fancy they sure do look crisp.

I switched out the default gauges for the F1 C172R analog gauges. For the Nav1/OBS, Nav2/OBS2 I used the simflyers GPX-SX gauges. For the radio stack and all digital gauges I used the Friendly Panels Nav PK.

Here are some screen shots:

2012-11-20_13-30-28-388.png

2012-11-20_13-37-29-683.png

2012-11-20_13-37-37-881.png

If I could get the GPS to be permanent on the right-side I'd be all set. It seems like in other planes when you have the GPS as part of a permanent window it's in the spot where the radio stack is.

John, if you wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction on how to hook-up and utilize the second monitor that would be sweet!

Is it possible for this monitor, the one on this PC to be used by both machines?

It's pretty much plug and play. If your graphics card has an unused output, connect that to the other display using the appropriate video cable and, if necessary, adaptors. Your connections will most likely be DVI or VGA. When you fire up the system, Windows will see the new hardware and pop up a Wizard to ask you a few questions. The setup should be pretty painless. Note this should be a stand-alone display - if it's a laptop the only practical way I know of is to network the two machines and that gets a bit more complicated.

Most modern televisions have a VGA input and can be used quite successfully as computer displays. A small one works fine for a second display or even as the primary one. My primary display is a 32" RCA 1080 television displaying 1920 X 1080 and it's as good as any dedicated PC monitor. It's not necessary that the two displays be the same size and/or resolution.

Note too that your FSX must be in Windowed mode to successfully un-dock and move a pop-up window off the FS window, but once the pop-up is on the second monitor, you can return FSX to full screen mode if you so desire and the pop-up will continue to work.

John

It's pretty much plug and play. If your graphics card has an unused output, connect that to the other display using the appropriate video cable and, if necessary, adaptors. Your connections will most likely be DVI or VGA. When you fire up the system, Windows will see the new hardware and pop up a Wizard to ask you a few questions. The setup should be pretty painless. Note this should be a stand-alone display - if it's a laptop the only practical way I know of is to network the two machines and that gets a bit more complicated.

Most modern televisions have a VGA input and can be used quite successfully as computer displays. A small one works fine for a second display or even as the primary one. My primary display is a 32" RCA 1080 television displaying 1920 X 1080 and it's as good as any dedicated PC monitor. It's not necessary that the two displays be the same size and/or resolution.

Note too that your FSX must be in Windowed mode to successfully un-dock and move a pop-up window off the FS window, but once the pop-up is on the second monitor, you can return FSX to full screen mode if you so desire and the pop-up will continue to work.

John

Ok, this sounds like my next "quest"....currently I have 2 PCs, this PC and the FSX machine. Both are hooked up to HDMI TVs via HMDI Cables. My graphics cards on both monitors have HDMI hook-ups, they also both have VGA plugs. The newer PC also has an LCD output on the graphics card but I don't think I'd be going that route.

My question is, if I currently have, on my FSX PC the HDMI TV hooked up via HDMI cable, will it cause issues if I connect this (separate) monitor to the FSX PC via VGA?

I'm assuming all I'll need to do is on this monitor change the "input source" from HDMI to VGA.

I don't know if it's needed or if it will help but I do have a registered copy of FSUIPC, can that assist the process in any way?

I wouldn't mind being able to "drag" the GPS pop-up window over to the 2nd monitor along with a outside spot view window.

When Iook on ebay I find a 5' 15 pin 1080P VGA male to male cable for $2.98 free shipping. This should be all I need, correct?

It should not be a problem to have a pair of displays connected via dissimilar connectors - your graphics card and Windows should be able to sort that out.

FSUIPC is not involved - this change will be global in Windows and will affect everything, not just FSX.

Not sure about the exact cable you need, but if it fits the output on the graphics card and the input on the display, you should be good to go.

You can drag any and all pop-ups and windows to the second monitor. The main display can be in 2D or 3D and will function normally, but FSX must be in Windowed mode (title bar and border) while un-docking and moving. The main FSX display may be returned to full-screen mode after the pop-ups are moved, if desired. Scrolling, panning, zooming the main FSX window will not affect the pop-ups on the second display. They remain stationary. The only new habit you'll have to develop is after clicking on something in a pop-up you should mouse back to the main display and do a click up in the windshield area to give it "focus" again.

John

In reference to your beginning question: Just noticed this post and thought about a conversation I had with a fellow on another site. Toward the end of the thread the guy showed me a way to highlight the available gauge areas in the VC panel. The "holes" are modeled in the aircraft so you can not add gauges elsewhere. Like John mentioned a pop up or other monitor is your only choice. Thought you might be interested in this and figured I would give you the link to the thread. Hope it helps. :)

Shameless Plug/Hint: The aircraft I mentioned in this same thread might help anyone that follows the Guess The Airport thread. :whis:

In reference to your beginning question: Just noticed this post and thought about a conversation I had with a fellow on another site. Toward the end of the thread the guy showed me a way to highlight the available gauge areas in the VC panel. The "holes" are modeled in the aircraft so you can not add gauges elsewhere. Like John mentioned a pop up or other monitor is your only choice. Thought you might be interested in this and figured I would give you the link to the thread. Hope it helps. :)

Shameless Plug/Hint: The aircraft I mentioned in this same thread might help anyone that follows the Guess The Airport thread. :whis:

Ok, thank you sir, I read through the link you posted. So if I'm reading it properly you can't add gauges where previous gauges are not?

I'm hoping there is a way. ie. the Just Flight C152, I can change the radio stack, the transponder and the ADF but I can't click on and change the audio panel. I'd really REALLY like to update that panel.

Is there no way to highlight the area somehow, black it out, then add a gauge? Is there a way to create an entirely new panel with the "main panel" of an aircraft as a template?

Not an expert on this but I will try to explain what I know. The aircraft designer uses a 3D program to create the outside and inside of the AC and this includes the gauge holes. Without the original model files you can not add these holes in the panel. It is not in the designers best interest, Just Flight in this case, to make these files available to people. This includes the freeware designers too although you can always write and ask them. Sorry to say that there is just no way it can be done without these files and believe me I have researched this.

I have made some changes to this aircraft but some things are functional and some are not.

Below is the default VC panel with my test gauge installed. Yellow areas are from the [Vcockpit01] section of the panel.cfg and red is from the [Vcockpit02] section:

c152panel.jpg

Next up is a panel from another texture folder I made up when I made a repaint of the C152. You can see I altered the panel by repainting the .dds files using the freeware DXTBmp and Paint.net programs. You can see that I added the autopilot gauge to the top center of the panel but this is just a picture of the gauge and is not functional. So you might consider this as an option. Better than nothing.

c152panelaltered.jpg

The 2D panel is a different story because you can add gauges in areas that you can not in the VC. The autopilot is functional on this panel.

c152panel2d.jpg

Below is the radio stack popup that I altered to include the autopilot. I'm still working on trying to get it on the top instead of the bottom. I also couldn't figure out how to make the 2D panel look the same as the VC as far as the paint on the background.

c152popup.jpg

Baby steps for me because I'm still learning about this stuff. I also use a popup of the GPS295 because you can't get that in the VC panel either. I agree it would be nice to be able to add functional gauges to the VC but it just isn't possible. I do fly in the VC all the time and only use the 2D panel for close up views of the gauges and total accuracy is not that important to me. Popup gauges are fine in my opinion and make up for the shortcomings of real life eyeballs vs the limitations of viewing the aircraft in the sim.

I know this is sad news for you but you do have the option of adding a capture image of a gauge and place it in the VC by altering the appropriate DDS file even though it will be non-functional it will look better. Good luck with your project, it is a great aircraft and fun to fly.

Food for thought, Brett - Thanks! :thum:

Funny, I can't fly an egg-whisk unless I'm in the 3-D cockpit, but there are very few fixed wing ACs that I don't use the 2-D panel. As you say, seeing the instruments is most important...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Food for thought, Brett - Thanks! :thum:

Funny, I can't fly an egg-whisk unless I'm in the 3-D cockpit, but there are very few fixed wing ACs that I don't use the 2-D panel. As you say, seeing the instruments is most important...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

I agree. It is sad that alot of the new aircraft no longer include a 2D panel for those times when you need it. I use the panel for AC startup too and it is better or at least more convenient than having to use the "A" key to change views for close ups.

Not an expert on this but I will try to explain what I know. The aircraft designer uses a 3D program to create the outside and inside of the AC and this includes the gauge holes. Without the original model files you can not add these holes in the panel. It is not in the designers best interest, Just Flight in this case, to make these files available to people. This includes the freeware designers too although you can always write and ask them. Sorry to say that there is just no way it can be done without these files and believe me I have researched this.

I have made some changes to this aircraft but some things are functional and some are not.

Below is the default VC panel with my test gauge installed. Yellow areas are from the [Vcockpit01] section of the panel.cfg and red is from the [Vcockpit02] section:

c152panel.jpg

Next up is a panel from another texture folder I made up when I made a repaint of the C152. You can see I altered the panel by repainting the .dds files using the freeware DXTBmp and Paint.net programs. You can see that I added the autopilot gauge to the top center of the panel but this is just a picture of the gauge and is not functional. So you might consider this as an option. Better than nothing.

c152panelaltered.jpg

The 2D panel is a different story because you can add gauges in areas that you can not in the VC. The autopilot is functional on this panel.

c152panel2d.jpg

Below is the radio stack popup that I altered to include the autopilot. I'm still working on trying to get it on the top instead of the bottom. I also couldn't figure out how to make the 2D panel look the same as the VC as far as the paint on the background.

c152popup.jpg

Baby steps for me because I'm still learning about this stuff. I also use a popup of the GPS295 because you can't get that in the VC panel either. I agree it would be nice to be able to add functional gauges to the VC but it just isn't possible. I do fly in the VC all the time and only use the 2D panel for close up views of the gauges and total accuracy is not that important to me. Popup gauges are fine in my opinion and make up for the shortcomings of real life eyeballs vs the limitations of viewing the aircraft in the sim.

I know this is sad news for you but you do have the option of adding a capture image of a gauge and place it in the VC by altering the appropriate DDS file even though it will be non-functional it will look better. Good luck with your project, it is a great aircraft and fun to fly.

Very nice!

I enjoy flying the C152 so I'll mess w/ adding some bitmaps to the 2D panel. Thank you sir.

I'm still working on trying to get it on the top instead of the bottom.

Each 2D window in panel.cfg has, or can have, a parameter, "positon=n" where n is a single numeric digit.

0 = top left

1 = top center

2 = top right

3 = left center

4 = center center

5 = right center

6 = bottom left

7 = bottom center

8 = bottom right

John

Thanks John. So those numbers are only for the 2D panel position. See, baby steps. It can be confusing when learning this stuff. There are numbers all over the place. Above I was referring to getting the AP to the top of the popup itself. I'm still messing around with the window sizes and then the placement in that same window. Alot of what I have been doing is trial and error till it works or at least comes close. Problem in doing it that way is it's easy to forget what you did along the way. I just downloaded a web based tutorial (Simple Panel Design. ) on panels hoping to get the full picture on all this. It looks like it covers not just designing them but also explains how the config files are written.

The SDK is good but does not seem to be as easy to read or understand as the lessons, when I compare the two. As you can tell from my writing ability, my education has been limited. One time a guy even asked me what my native language was. :( Once I get through the lessons I can see using the SDK sections as an easier reference. :D