Saitek Yoke/FSX issues

Thought it was about time I got myself a yoke, seems silly flying FSX GA aircraft with my Cougar LOL

Anyway, I picked up the Saitek ProFlight Yoke, which comes with the throttle quadrant too. After installing it and running it through a powered usb hub, setting up a quick profile for fsx etc, I fired up the sim and was surprised to find considerable lag between control inputs and response. None of the reviews I read mentioned this, so uninstall/reinstall. The issue was still there, so I fired up IL2 '46 and went off for a spin in my favourite 109, the yoke was sweet as a nut!

I trawler the web for clues, but came up blank, apart from advice not to use the Saitek programming software.

I uninstalled the software, and assigned button assingnments through FSX, and that seems to have alleviated the problem somewhat, its nowhere near as bad now, and I could even put it down to lack of practice with unfamiliar controls now.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues and/or have fixes?

Hi F on T,

Welcome to Mutley's Hangar.

Try just plugging your yoke into your PC directly and make sure you plug it into a USB2 port. Ther are problems if you try using a USB 3 port.

Also make sure you have a USB 2 powered hub. If its a USB 3, again you may have some problems.

Hope this helps.

Report back with your findings.

Cheers

Brian

Cheers Brian :thum:

I missed your post as I was messing about with the settings, In the end I've disabled the controllers in FSX and set it all up using FSUIPC instead. Seems to be working ok, so I'm about to take a DC3 up for a short test hop.

{UPDATE} I've followed the advice to connect the yoke direct to the computer, and the extra quadrant and pedals to the powered hub. Even with this setup, and using FSUIPC to assign axes there is still a little lag, however it is manageable, as long as nobody is watching my landings!

I wonder if there is something different in the makeup of the later batch of yokes.

Have you had any problems with Saitek stuff Nigel?

I must admit, since I'm only using FSUIPC, I don't or haven't had any lag problems.

Just a thought.

Rick, The quadrant that came with the yoke has a ps/2 connection, not USB, so that's connected to the yoke, but that's the only thing that is. The yoke is connected directly to the MoBo, and I *know* it isnt USB 3.0 because I built the thing before 3.0 was around! lol 

It's not a great system by today's standards, but it should be able to handle this no problems

I guess it could be the Saitek hardware, I don't know what else to tell you.

Wait, did you say it was okay with ILS-2?

If so then it must be something related to FSX; not exactly sure where to point you in that case.

I do remeber having a problem one time with FSX wanting to assign my G-13 Logitech Game pad as an FSX controller, without my knowledge, which created all kinds of conflicts.  I don't remeber what I did to kill it although I think there is a hardware xml file or something that maybe someone else can comment on.  I have a bad case of O.L.D.; sorry.

Rick S.

I don't need to, I've found the problem.

Unfortunately it's my system!

After typing that it ought to handle it ok, I thought to myself "I should test that"

I turned all the graphics options in FSX to minimums, and that's sorted it. Nice crisp response now, so I guess that I'm looking at a new system. I'd better start saving for bits I guess.

Anyone know of useful ways to optimise FSX performance? I'm going to adjust the graphics sliders until it starts being obnoxious again, and then turn it down one. Hopefully it won't look *too* bad!