In case you aren't aware chaps, on 12th November Europe's Philae robot will attempt to touch down on a comet. This will be a historic first, the first time mankind has managed to soft-land a vehicle on a comet. It's a risky endeavour of course, with a good chance the vehicle will end up a pile of twisted metal.

Rosetta will be some 580 million km from Earth when it drops the piggybacked Philae over the comet.

The descent is expected to take about seven hours.

If the robot manages to latch on to the surface with screws and harpoons, it will begin a series of experiments to analyse the composition and structure of 67P.

Its data, along with pictures, will be beamed up to Rosetta for onward transmission to Earth.

Scientists believe comets to contain pristine materials left over from the formation of the Solar System more than 4.5 billion years ago.

http://www.esa.int/spaceinvideos/Videos/2014/11/Once_upon_a_time_preparing_for_comet_landing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29902456

I'm not making light of it - still a hell of an accomplishment and there's a lot of new things to be learned about comets, but the physics of pulling off a long-distance, remote-controlled landing on a low-mass, low-gravity body are pretty much the same.

John

Especially as comets are just asteroids with very eccentric orbits.

I'm looking forward to whether they'll find the ice - comets are supposed to be 'dirty snowballs' from the hypothesised Oort Cloud. Let's hope the instruments work adequately and resolve this issue.

Thanks for introducing this, Martin.

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

Thanks for the reminder Martin.  

Have you seen the short 6 minute film the ESA has made to try and spark more public interest in the mission?  It's called 'Ambition' and has a similar feel to Ridley Scott's Prometheus.  Well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H08tGjXNHO4

I'm especially looking forward to seeing images from Rosetta when the comet has formed it's 'tails'.  Potentially stunning.  :) And what science may we learn from this? Having access to pristine samples from the Solar Systems formation, what will the organic chemistry be like?  What amino acids and extraterrestrial organic compounds will be discovered and will it provide clues for the formation of life on Earth?  So many questions and so much to learn.  I'm sure Exobiologist will be very exited.  :thum:

Regards,

M.

I'm pretty certain they'll find ice.  Vaporized rock does not seem likely at those distances from the sun, so what else is there?  The usual suspects are water, ammonia, methane, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, plus a veritable laundry list of some of the more complex hydrocarbons.  It will be interesting to see which are detected and in what proportions.  Of course this is only one comet and there's no guarantee that all are of the same makeup, but you have to start somewhere and this is a start.

John

I'm pretty certain they'll find ice.  Vaporized rock does not seem likely at those distances from the sun, so what else is there?  The usual suspects are water, ammonia, methane, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, plus a veritable laundry list of some of the more complex hydrocarbons.  It will be interesting to see which are detected and in what proportions.  Of course this is only one comet and there's no guarantee that all are of the same makeup, but you have to start somewhere and this is a start.

John

Or maybe some chemicals unknown to us, perhaps even deep frozen micro organisms. I just hope it lands safely it would be the icing on the er... cake to what has been an incredible achievement even getting this far.

If it is just a ball of ice, I'd like to see the gin and tonic it came from. :) 

Especially as comets are just asteroids with very eccentric orbits.

Not exactly, there are differences'. Asteroids are composed of metals and rocky material. Comets on the other hand are made up of ice, dust and rocky materials.

Both formed about 4.5 billion years ago.

Comets tend to have protracted orbits, often more than 50,000 AU from the sun.

but the physics of pulling off a long-distance, remote-controlled landing on a low-mass, low-gravity body are pretty much the same.

True, but worth mentioning that the rendezvous with asteroid Eros took 5 years. To reach comet 67P/C-G on the other hand has taken twice as long. It will be the most detailed study of a comet ever undertaken.

Thanks for the reminder Martin.  

Have you seen the short 6 minute film the ESA has made to try and spark more public interest in the mission?  It's called 'Ambition' and has a similar feel to Ridley Scott's Prometheus.  Well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H08tGjXNHO4

I'm especially looking forward to seeing images from Rosetta when the comet has formed it's 'tails'.  Potentially stunning.  :) And what science may we learn from this? Having access to pristine samples from the Solar Systems formation, what will the organic chemistry be like?  What amino acids and extraterrestrial organic compounds will be discovered and will it provide clues for the formation of life on Earth?  So many questions and so much to learn.  I'm sure Exobiologist will be very exited.  :thum:

Regards,

M.

Thanks Mark, I really enjoyed the video. Who would have thought "Little Finger" from Game of thrones had such power.  :)

...perhaps even deep frozen micro organisms.

Does this probe have the capability to analyze for that kind of thing?  

John

Well no. If it did we couldn't totally rule out contamination from Earth.

Rosetta was built in a clean room, but sterilization wasn't regarded as crucial. Comets are believed to possibly contain prebiotic molecules, [precursors of life] but not life itself.

Martin, what is this 'Game of Thrones' of which you speak?  I've never watched an episode.  :yikes:   My better half loves it however, and has the lot stored on a HD.  Is it worth a butchers?  ;)

When I think of Philae landing on that dirty snowball, all alone, I can't help thinking of this.

http://xkcd.com/695/ 

:(

Regards,

M.

Mark, honestly, GoT is the best thing since sliced bread. Certainly the best TV series I've had the pleasure of viewing, in 56 years.

Production values are first rate, acting superb, and George R. R. Martin's writing is first rate.

Not for someone who doesn't like sex and violence, there's plenty of that, but if you don't mind such things it's a must see.

How come your wife watches it but you haven't Mark? Does she lock you up in your simming pit when it's on?  :D

Nope, not read the books... so don't give me any spoilers. :D

My son has, and I can see it in his eyes, that overpowering urge to spill the beans. Must admit, I did ask him today if "Reek" had anything in store for him, other than being the slave of the evil Ramsay Snow. He intimated that he did.

And oh yes, I did allow him to tell me what happened to the Red Viper when he fought the Mountain.

Martin, I hardly watch any TV except for docs and about 3 shows I follow.   I mostly watch films, but your enthusiasm for this show has encouraged me to check out GoT.  How jealous must you be that I have the entire cannon before me, to binge watch over the weekends.  :P

I'm going to have to catch up now so Tracey and I can watch GoT together.

Thanks for the recommendation, looking forward to it.

Regards,

M.  :)

Game of Thrones sounds like the scramble to the loo first thing in the morning in our house.

PS. heard a great euphemism for going for a #2. 'I'm just going to drop the kids off at the pool.' :huh: