Hi Fellow Simmers

I am looking to build a GA cockpit and would greatly appreciate some advise.  My current PC is over 7 years old and so I am looking to replace it shortly - hope to go for a top of the range machine built specifically for flightsim.  With what I am planning to do, I shall also need a secondary machine. 

As I am familar with FSX I am intending to purchase P3D - feel this is the way to go given the amount of attention LH is giving it.  

For my cockpit build, I already have the CH yoke and pedals + Saitek BIP panel, Swtich panel, Comms Panel and Autopilot.  For my instruments I am seriously considering Panel Builder so that I can change the MIP depending of the aircraft being flown.

Now here is where I come unstuck!  I am totally green as far as electronics go, however I have been doing some research and it seems I could choose one of the following for interfacing: Leo Bodnar Board, Arduino Board, Open Cockpits Board and I am sure there are more out there.  Could someone advise me whether there is a preference in the flightsim community or is it just down to the users ability in that some boards are better to work with than others - re programming etc?

Also, I am trying to understand the different types of rotary switches available. What should I be looking for, say for a switch which must turn seemlessly 360 degrees?  I also realise that If I am going to use rotary switches placed near a particular instrument display and is it fixed to a board of some type, then the switch must not have too much depth due to the monitor that sits behind the board.  Again any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Sorry this is a bit long-winded!

Thanks

Trevor

Now here is where I come unstuck!  I am totally green as far as electronics go, however I have been doing some research and it seems I could choose one of the following for interfacing: Leo Bodnar Board, Arduino Board, Open Cockpits Board and I am sure there are more out there.  Could someone advise me whether there is a preference in the flightsim community or is it just down to the users ability in that some boards are better to work with than others - re programming etc?

I currently use 3 Arduino boards. There are easy to install and to get working and are very inexpensive.  Visit this site for the best help and pre-written code on the web for the Arduino: http://www.jimspage.co.nz/intro.htm  This site also shows you how to use the Arduino with back lit LCD displays.

As for rotary switches and encoders, Jims page is also a good source of information on these.  I have had some rotary encoders that are no more then a cm deep, but these were very flimsy and not worth using.  I gave up in the encoders but do use some rotary switches for fuel selection.  These are about 1,5 to 2 cm deep when wired and so wouldn't fit within a frame surrounding one or more panel builder gauges.  Further I would say that you should not expect to get switches that will fit with in a panel builder frame, plan your cockpit with at least 2.5 cm free space behind the switch mount.

I hope this helps.

J

• Like 1

Hi Trevor and welcome to the madhouse! :thum:

Like some, I've used OpenCockpits kit (for a self built helicopter cyclic/collective) and it was very straightforward. One of our members, Jack, is an uber-expert with O.C. kit - search the forum, and reviews, for his contributions. Jack can also advise when he has time - he's just started uni, so he may be busy!

Anyway, lots of luck.

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

• Like 1

Hi John & Dai

Thank you very much for responding to my request for help. I will have a look at the website mentioned. Since writing my request for help I have made an enquiry with Leo Bobnar and they have also given a helpful response.  They have advised that their Boards already contain software and so do not need programming, so clearly an option.  The Board they are recommending is the BBI-32.  I also like the idea of Arduino as there must be a sense of satisfaction in writing some programmes and seeing them work!  Have been down to Maplin and bought a book 'Getting Started with Arduino' by Massimo Banzi - he is the co-founder of Arduino.

I taken on-board the point about leaving enough space behind the panel builder frame - what I did not want to do is have the view of the various gauges sitting back too far but it may well be that 2.5cm is not really a problem.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Trevor

Hi Trevor, I reiterate the guys comments above, Welcome to Mutley's Hangar.

I hope you get to enjoy all that MH has to offer in terms of sound advice, hint and tips and the occassional nuttiness.

I can vouch for Leo Bodnars cards, they are extremely simple to set up and as soon as you plug one into a usb port, windows recognises them straight off.

I use two in my set-up, one is used in my GPS panel and the other for an array of momentary switches.

Check out the other cockpit builds in the forum, there is a good array of different pits both finished and under construction.

You will also find a couple of pdfs by myself in the members upload forum. These show how I built my GPS panel.

Cheers for now and good luck with your build. Don't forget to post pics along the way please.

Brian :thum:

• Like 1