Latest news from the CAA in UK interesting the one I highlighted in RED.....

A root and branch review of many of the national rules and regulations that affect UK General Aviation (GA) is underway through a consultation on the elements in the Air Navigation Order (ANO) that affect GA.

The review follows a commitment made by the CAA, in response to the Government’s Red Tape Challenge, to reform the regulatory regime for the UK’s GA sector. 

Pilot licensing, operations and airworthiness rules are covered in the consultation with a view to deregulating or delegating where possible in order to simplify compliance for GA pilots and organisations. 

An amended ANO will also speed up the CAA’s ability to introduce reforms already identified.

The review will follow the principles already adopted by the CAA in its oversight of general aviation, which include: 

• only regulate when necessary, and do so proportionately
• deregulate where it can
• delegate where appropriate
• not to gold-plate, and quickly and efficiently remove gold-plating that already exists 
• help create a vibrant and dynamic GA sector in the UK. 

Included in the consultation are options to:

• Deregulate the pilot licensing of small single occupant aircraft
• Align with the EASA structure of privileges and requirements for UK licences, retaining any previously held privileges. This would allow holders of older UK licences to exercise privileges in line with EASA
• Use the special category certificate of airworthiness to bring greater clarity to different levels of airworthiness assurance and potentially allow a greater range of non-ICAO aircraft to do remunerated flying
• Simplify airworthiness procedures. For example removing the approval of log books and reviewing requirements for light aircraft maintenance schedules
• Review aerodrome regulation for airfields not covered by EASA

• Introduce a Skyway Code as a simple guide to the rules and guidance of day to day flying 

• Review our involvement in parachute operations and flying displays
• Simplify the rules on balloons and kites flying 

More info from this web link..... http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%201192%20GA%20update%20March%2015%20v5.pdf

• Like 1

I will believe it when i see it!!

as i have said on more than one occasion

if Wilbur Wright had needed a CAA license we would all still be crossing the Atlantic by boat  !!!

the whole load of them are the most dishonorable bunch of civil servants to have ever been put in charge of such a responsible job

geez am I glad to be out of that profession now, couple the CAA and eurocontrol and the future is grim for all pilots, they will rush in pilotless a/c as quickly as they possibly can.

• Like 1

Isn't a shame that when the gov't puts out a statement that they want to get rid of red tape, there is a collective sigh and roll of the eyes.

Not knowing much about the UK gov't I at first thought, isn't that great, I wish mine would do something to streamline things. The next thought was then, I wonder how much this is going to cost in the long run.

I then read Nigel's post and thought, it seems the older we get, the more cynical we get. :D 

Hopefully any changes made are for the better, good luck.(is that better ;)

They may be thinking of something along the lines of the relatively new Light Sport category here. It does require a license but the barriers to entry are much lower, for instance a driver's license is sufficient in lieu of a medical. The aircraft that meet LSA standards have a MTOW of something like 1320# (can't remember the exact number). Amphibs and seaplanes are allowed an extra 100#, I believe.

LSA aircraft can only carry two and must have a Vne of something pretty low, 100 knots maybe. Flying under the LSA license must be in VMC (of course), is restricted to daylight only and must remain outside certain classes of airspace. There is an altitude limit, both in AGL terms and MSL, so flight over higher terrain is allowed, but can't remember the numbers. Some flight schools are beginning to consider them for primary flight training, but I wouldn't say it's catching on very quickly. It's still a lot of money for some very low-end flying.

John