Gone a bit Weird!

Hi everyone,

Hope you're having a good summer.

A couple of months back, while making a clean up of my PC's hardrive, I came across a few unwanted flight sim payware and freeware addons, that were taking up space. Two of which being Eurowings 2004 and a freeware airport from Avsim. They both had an uninstall.exe so I didn't think that this would create any problems. But now, as the summer is here, I would love to get back into flight simming, but that uninstalling has come back to haunt me.

Here's just a few of the problems I am experiencing:

- Error message when the game is loading "Area086 is missing from the Scenery folder" :shock:

- When changing the aircraft to a PMDG 737 the game says "FSUIPC is needed to run this Addon" :thum:

- When changing the aircraft to other types, the sim just completely quits to desktop.

- Saved flights won't load.

All of these problems have only just initiated, as far as I am aware, after I uninstalled those few addons.

Any help is very very greatly appeciated, as I wouldn't like to have to re-install the game, because of all the carry on with downloaded addons and reactivating etc.

Please please help! :mrhappy:

George

Some uninstallers can make a right mess of your FS9 :mrhappy:

- Error message when the game is loading "Area086 is missing from the Scenery folder" :shock:

- When changing the aircraft to a PMDG 737 the game says "FSUIPC is needed to run this Addon" :thum:

To remove the error message you could try having a look through the Scenery Library in FS9 and deleting anything which should have gone when you uninstalled the addons.

As for the FSUIPC issue, perhaps one of the addons installed FSUIPC then removed it with the uninstall - in any case it is free and you can find the latest version here: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

As for the other two issues, my advice would be to reinstall. Hopefully a simple reinstallation of FS9.exe will do the trick (make a backup of FS9.cfg [under Application Data in your user settings folder I think, not the FS9 root] and scenery.cfg [after doing the above editing of the library] to avoid losing changes of your own). If that doesn't work the only answer may be to uninstall FS9, all addons, and delete the root folder so you can start afresh (and if you're doing that the above steps aren't needed obviously).

Thanks and good luck

Dave :-)

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the advice :thum:

If I were to do a complete reinstall of FS9, I'm not worried about having to spend a lot of time reinstalling things. My only concern is that I might have trouble reinstalling downloaded payware addons. I know JustFlight and UK2000 aren't a problem, but I'm a bit unsure what the procedure is for, for example, Walk & Follow and FlyTampa. I have kept a full list of any serials/passwords needed etc. although maybe some of the addons might need a refreshed Serial/password to reinstall?

Also, if I were to completely reinstall it, would it automatically uninstall any addons, or would I have to do that manually?

When you say delete the root folder, do you mean delete the FS folder completely from the PC and start a fresh after uninstalling?

Many many thanks, :mrhappy:

George

Hey George,

Further to Dave's advice before you start re-installing take a back up of your fs9.cfg then deleted the original. Then re-start FS and the sim will then generate a new one with default settings. You may find this will stop your PC crashing when changing aircraft?

I have recently re-installed FS9 and have no problem with re-installing payware. The most awkward to re-activate were the Captain Sim addons as they changed servers but a mail put it right.

Other than this a re-install would be the best option. If you have the FS9.1 upgrade make sure you un-install that first using add/remove programs in the control panel. Make sure the show updates box is checked.

Then I would run something like Ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com that makes sure the registry is clean. (Use with great care)

One thing when un-installing FS9 and 9.1, if, when you re-install, it says FS9.1 is already installed and you don't know what to do look further! What the system does is look for a folder called "backup" in the FS9 folder, this is created when you install FS9.1 simply delete the folder and the problem will go away.

There maybe a lot to do be it will be so worth the effort.

Let us know if we can be of more help.

Cheers

Thanks for your help, guys. The suggestions are working, but I keep finding more errors, and I feel that a re-install is the only way to resolve this at the moment. Mutley, I can't remember what the procedure is for Walk&Follow re-activation, is it just an email? Because I don't have any serials or anything written down for it. Maybe I should find the email after I bought it.

Many many thanks,

George

Hi George,

From what I remember, you install WaF first and it runs in demo mode only allowing you to use it around Seattle (I think) then in the FS menu use the activation request which produces a long code which you cut and paste into a mail to activate@igfly.com make sure it is from the same address you purchased with.

Then within 24 hours you should get the activation string to cut and paste into the activate screen.

If it is FSX then I think you don't have to reactive on re-install of the sim but in FS9 you do.

Cheers

That's right, Mut. I remember now! :poster_oops:

One thing, with the uninstalling, will it automatically uninstall any addons, for example, Mega airport Vienna/Frankfurt, which are installed in seperate directories under 'Aerosoft', or will I have to uninstall them seperately before the main uninstallation of Fs9? Also, after the uninstallation, do I need to delete the Flight Simulator 9 folder in the Microsoft Games folder, or will it do this automatically during uninstalling?

I appreciate the help! :rockon:

George

Hi

The FS9 folder will not get deleted and neither will Aircraft - Modules - Effects - Addon Scenery etc etc because third party programs install into these folders. FS9 will only uninstall the files it created.

That answers your first question. Addon scenery will still be there but you would have to add it manually in the scenery library OR take a copy of your scenery.cfg file before you uninstall that way you can copy the old scenery.cfg file back in and all your scenery should come back. Any addon aircraft should come back automatically anyway.

I would advise you run FS9 and close down after re-install before editing any config files so it makes a good copy of the config file before replacing or editing it :rockon:

Cheers

Brilliant! Thanks, Joe. :rockon:

At the moment I have just uninstalled Fs9, and now I am simply reinstalling it to see if that makes a difference, as Dave said that a simple reinstallation of the Fs9.exe could do the trick. If not, I'll proceed with a completelely fresh installation of Fs9. If I have to have a fresh installation, could I just completely delete the Flight Simulator 9 folder in Microsoft Games, or would that cause problems later?

Many thanks :-)

George

Right, after a simple uninstall and install of Fs9, the game won't even start. :gaah:

So, I think the only thing left to do is a complete fresh reinstallation. :help:

I was thinking of carrying out the following steps to achieve this. Please correct me if I make any unwise moves:

1. Go into Add/Remove programs and remove any installed Fs9 addons listed there.

2. Uninstall Fs9

3. Delete the Flight Simulator 9 folder in Microsoft Games

4. Install Fs9

5. Reinstall addons etc.

Also, Mutley: When you reinstalled Fs9, how did you do it? :rockon:

Thank you very much :yes:

George

Bad news George, did you re-install teh 9.1 update or was your version already 9.1?

All I did was uninstall FS9 and 9.1 update using add remove programs.

Then reinstalled FS9 then the FS9.1 update.

What you intend to do looks fine. If you are confident in making registry changes then run Ccleaner and you can check there are no references to FS9 left in the registry before reinstalling.

Good luck, I know what a pain it is.

Cheers

Thanks, Mutley. I'll try the cleaner and then I'll set about reinstalling.

At the moment, I get an error message with the loading screen, "Fs9 has detected a potentially incompatable program: FSsound.dll. Do you want to run this program (yes/no)" Five seconds after clicking yes/no the game quits to desktop.

As far as I know, I haven't got Fs9.1 installed. I only have the original Fs9.exe from the disc. No updates done :yes:

I'll try removing everything to do with Fs9 and reinstalling to see if I get a response.

Thank you for all the help you've given me so far. :rockon:

George

Aha! You will be pleased to know that I am finally making progress! I uninstalled all my Fs9 addons, then uninstalled Fs9, but keeping the original folder to prevent problems. I have now reinstalled Fs9 in a different directory C:/Program files/Fs9

and finally a fresh copy of FS has arrived. :rockon:

I am now going to proceed in installing addons leaving all freeware until later dates.

Thank you for the help! But please don't abandon this topic because I am likely to run into problems again soon :blush

George