CH Products

Hi all,

I want to buy a Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, and Rudder Pedals from CH Products. I have a few questions first though, as I know that some of you use the CH controllers.

1. They're expensive :wink: Where is the best (ie cheapest!) place to buy them, taking shipping, tax, etc into account?

2. On the throttle quadrant, can other things be controlled using the throttle levers, say if I only had two engines on the aircraft could I use two levers for the engines, then one for the speedbrakes and one for the flaps? Can levers be removed?

3. On the throttle quadrant, do the buttons along the bottom "stick" in the up or down positions? Or must they be held like that? Same goes for the flip buttons on the yoke.

4. Can buttons on the yoke/quadrant be configured to emulate buttons on the keyboard, so I can use them as the PTT button in Squakbox for example? Saitek buttons can do this.

5. Does the yoke clamp on to the desk? Or does it just sit on it?

6. Finally, like I said these things are EXTREMELY expensive. If worst comes to worst, does anyone know of any decent alternative yoke/throttle/rudder controllers?

Help much appreciated guys :-)

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave,

I have the yoke and pedals, but not the throttle quadrant. The yoke has three levers on the top right, used for throttles, prop and mixture, normally.

The two buttons on the face (same as the ones on the quadrant, I think) default to gear and flaps.  They're spring loaded to center; one push down and you get the first notch of flaps, another press, another notch; same going up. When setting up the configuration there's a repeat-rate slider for keys and momentary switches.

I tried to reassign buttons and screwed it up. E-mailed CH and got some great technical help. They have a program called Control Manager that comes on the CD with the hardware. It's magic, and I think you can re-assign anything to anything. I doubt you'll need their help, but if you do you'll find them to be a class act.

Can't help you on where to buy, as we're continents apart. Shipping and tax and all that will be quite different for us. I bought mine several years ago anyway. :-)

Yes, the yoke clips to the desk or table. It has a pair of clamps with big thumbscrew knobs. It's pretty solid once attached. Both yoke axes are spring loaded to center, and the springs are pretty stiff. There's a kind of trim wheel thing on the left that does something with the spring tension, but I don't use it. The elevator trim rocker switch on the top of the left yoke handle works just fine.

The fore and aft range on the yoke is about 3.5 inches from stop to stop. Hope some of this is helpful. I'm sure you'll hear more from the others.

John

Hey Dave,

I only posted this in a forum a few days ago:

I can't vouch for the Saitek pedals - but I got the CH Pedals and have only used them once or twice since I got them. People may say they're great for enhancing your FS experience - but I found them to be totally unrealistic when it compares to what I've flown in real life (C150, 152).

Don't get the CH Pedals if you're looking for realism - but you might enjoy them if you're just after some "footwork".

Basically I find the pedals way too loose and sensitive compared to my experience in the 150.

You should be able to find the CH Products at any PC store, I've seen them around here quite a bit - I'm sure Mut will be able to shed some light on actual retailers etc.