How to ride a London bus, an information guide to foreigners

I had to post this as an aid to anyone wishing to visit London from overseas.

I hope you see the funny side of it! This is from 1950 and explains the intricacies of bus-riding to ignorant foreigners newly arrived in London :dance2:

Boy oh boy, you could get away with anything in those days. Definitely not PC!

yBOcLnyMX-M

Cheers

Oh Joy! Oh Joy - a ride in an old Park Royal R.T. - all the way from Potters Bar to Pimlico... :blahblah:

Takes me back to when I seemed to spend half my life travelling by L.T. - to and from skule ect ect. Thanks for sharing, Boss - but it does make me feel my age! :blahblah:

Oh, Yes - and when the african students got off the bus - at Muswell Hill Hight Street - it brought back that awful non-P.C. joke about the Pygmies in the tall, pampas grass. What was the punch line? "We're the ****-are-we, we're the ***-are-we".......

Apologies if this is offensive, but I can just see one of the students asking the other when they got off the bus! :mrhappy:

Cheers - Dai. :blahblah:

Dear all (including Dai)

For some reason members have been having problems posting a reply to this thread. I have amended my post that was causing the problem so please try again.

If you still have a problem please try again or make a new post :thum:

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

That was funny.

Its nothing like what you see now days. its the opposite. I was travelling on a bus yesterday (London Bus) when i got on the bus i was handed this comment card and pen asking me what i thought about the service and where i started my journey and where it was finishing etc. So is wierd to see this. On the same bus journey someone sat next to me and started playing a music instrament (and not very good)

What a great find. I'm reminded of how much air travel too has changed from the old days. Two of the most striking differences are the way people dress for air travel and the kind of food (I'm being kind here) typically offered.

John