Milviz Announces P3D V4 Upgrades Will Be Free

Milviz have finally come to their senses and are no longer charging customers a $5.00 fee to upgrade their Milviz products to P3D V4. All customers who have already paid this fee will be refunded.

Now, all other major third party add-on developers were quick to announce some time back that upgrades of their respective products to P3D V4 would be free. So I wonder how long it took Milviz to realise they were about the only major third party add-on developer to be hitting their loyal customer base with this charge, a charge, by all accounts, their competitors thought was unreasonable.

I mean, really, what were Milviz thinking?

• Like 2

nice one, we are having a similar over on XP with Carenado offering no upgrade for XP11 version, you have to purchase again at full price, their XP10 mostly work but I have had a few engine fires in the C90 king Air, they are taking a lot of flak for this attitude but seem adamant they will not change, it's very frustration as we see our P3Dv4 upgrades for the same aircraft being free.....they say it is a lot of work....

They do have to recompile some of their .DLL's and create a new installer, I haven't yet figured out the whole list of changes that have to be made.(anyone know?) I know A2A are giving a free upgrade for their customers that already have the earlier P3D versions but the FSXer's do not get that deal and have to pay the full price according to the different LM licensing.<_< Just because some developers are doing it for free doesn't mean they all have to but it sure would be nice if they all did. I mean, heck,, we just want to get our flight on and already pay them a lot of money for this stuff. They make it out like P3D is a whole new thing when it really is just an improved FSX.:D

Don't know what to say about Carenado except, well, it's Carenado.:P

22 hours ago, wain said:

nice one, we are having a similar over on XP with Carenado offering no upgrade for XP11 version, you have to purchase again at full price, their XP10 mostly work but I have had a few engine fires in the C90 king Air, they are taking a lot of flak for this attitude but seem adamant they will not change, it's very frustration as we see our P3Dv4 upgrades for the same aircraft being free.....they say it is a lot of work....

It's always easy to blame Carenado without understanding the background. In the case of Carenado's X-Plane models, I understand it is not so much Carenado themselves but the individual developer (a subcontractor and not a Carenado employee) who does all their X-Plane conversions. It is he who is insisting on charging Carenado for the work and Carenado are within their rights to pass that cost on.

I guess that is just one of the many "costs" of going with a flight sim version which does not have a high uptake rate in the community, regardless.

No Andrew, not really blaming Carenado, I have had a few conversations with Dan, not sure if that's who you mean, he is on XP a lot and is always helping people out, they (Carenado) have said that their last 4 planes will be updated free throughout the life of XP11 which sounds fair to me. Dan does his own work under the name of Thranda, he has done a really nice Quest Kodiak, now if you originally bought your B1900D from dotorg then when you pay full price for the XP11 (B1900D) version Dan is throwing in the Quest as a freebie, $34 at the moment, shame I got mine from Just Flight. I personally have no issues paying, I have done 3 or 4 aircraft that I really like already, and anyone new coming from FSX/P3D, and there are a lot lately won't have the old version so it won't apply to them. There are however a lot of people bickering about any kind of charge, I feel to many expect everything for nothing.

I do understand how business works, I run one myself, a very successful cleaning company and I can assure you we charge extra where there is a need. My point I suppose really was more of a question on the differences between making a plane from P3Dv3 work in v4 and making a plane from XP10 into one that can take advantage of new things in XP11. There are still now issues with old version Carenados in XP11.

Having recently bought a GA from another developer that was solely developed for XP11 I have seen the benefits of the new sim in this Aircraft.

XP is steadily growing, once HIFI come over later this year with their weather apart from ATC it is a really good sim, and Pilot2ATC seems to be doiong a fine job as I beleive World Traffic will once v3 is released. Anyone new to XP just has to get there head around how different things are, forget what you know and start a fresh is the best option.....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, wain said:

...There are however a lot of people bickering about any kind of charge, I feel to many expect everything for nothing.

I do understand how business works, I run one myself, a very successful cleaning company and I can assure you we charge extra where there is a need....

Wayne,

I couldn't agree more. Such is this age of entitlement which seems to be spreading across society like an invasive, aggressive cancer - and it no longer seems to be confined to the millennial generation. This obsession of ours, in its many forms, is a fee for service industry, be it goods, cloud storage, etc. The attitude of some either shows a lack of willingness to pay for those (upgraded) goods, or a total lack of understanding of the cost of running these businesses or services...and let's not even mention the concept of fair use policy just as long as they can have as much as they want and have it all for nothing. Yet, if someone was to take from them, or ask them to do something for free, they would scream like a cut cat - indirectly, they seem to expect others who are willing to pay, to support them. People can always throw up the argument that they have paid for the goods already and this is an upgrade, but the cost of work associated with the upgrade was never included in the original cost of the goods. How quickly they forget that when we migrated from one version of MSFS to another we had to repurchase those products that were no longer compatible.

The age old idiom of "Put up or shut up." couldn't be more appropriate in this age of entitlement.

Cheers

Andrew

• 10 months later...

Milviz models are good by in my view expencive but worse than that they do not have a proper support system and from my experience choose to ignore communications. I purchased theit T50 Bobcat, the VC is very good but the panel is so blurred it is unreadable so at the end of the day it was a waste of money.

• Like 1