Hello Lads (and Lassies),

Some questions from a newbie to P3Dv4 (actually v4.1):

First, a list of equipment -Win7 Pro, FSUIPC5,  CPU i7 4470 @ 3.4Ghz, GPU Nvidia GT730, 1920X1080, 2Gb video RAM, 8Gb DDR3 Memory, High-end 500 Gb HDD. All drivers up to date and all Win7 updates are current.

There are a whole lot of airplanes in the xxx\P3Dv4\SimObjects\Airplanes sub-directory that don't show up in the "Select Vehicle" splash screen. An example is the Lear 45. It has a sub-directory entry, complete with (dot)air and (dot)cfg files and a few liveries. However, it does not show on the list of flyable aircraft. Is this, and others like it, AI airplanes that show up as air traffic from time-to time?

This specific one caused me some grief because I particularly like flying that plane. It has a sub directory with exactly the same label as FSX (Lear45). So I copied the P3Dv4 directory out to my desktop and renamed it "SAVELear45". I then brought the entire Lear45 file over from FSX and loaded it in place of the folder I'd moved. This process worked seamlessly in P3Dv3, but it is giving me fits in v4. The airplane shows up in the "Select Vehicle" menu. Loads with no issues and flies just fine. Even records logbook hours as it should.

This might be a good time to remark that all of my axis controls and some of my button controls are configured using FSUIPC5. Some of  the button controls that are configured are the switches at the bottom of the lever travel on my Saitek throttle quadrant. These switches, one at each lever, throttle, prop, mixture, are activated by moving past the lower lever detent and are assigned to; (throttle) = thrust reverser, (pitch) = prop feather, and (mixture) = mixture cutoff. The re-assignments work well when flying any aircraft in FSX or P3Dv3.

The grief comes when I shut the engines off by using the switch at the bottom of the mixture lever travel (Idle Cutoff, Cntl-Shft-F1). The engines shut down as they are supposed to, however the keyboard also completely shuts down. None of the keys do anything. The mouse still works OK, so I can get at the on-screen menu and exit the scenario and the sim. Originally, I thought this was an issue exclusive to the ported over Lear, however, such is not the case. The default F22 Raptor does exactly the same thing when I kill the engines this way.

This does not happen if I shut the engines down by pulling back on the throttle levers (in a military jet) in the Virtual Cockpit to the idle cutoff stop. It also does not occur if I use the keyboard entry cntl-shft-F1. It only happens if you leave the mixture lever in the idle cut-off position (continually sending the cntl-shft-F1 instruction to the Sim.

I've yet to try this in FSX, but seeing as its never happened to me before, I'm going to guess that this is a P3D/FSUIPC5 thing.

Edited by Quickmarch
more info
14 hours ago, Quickmarch said:

continually sending the cntl-shft-F1 instruction to the Sim.

I haven't installed 4.1 yet, pending an SSD upgrade, so take this with a grain of salt.

I suspect that the "continually sending" is the culprit and might be filling the keyboard buffer to the exclusion of everything else.  Check in the control assignments to see if there's a "repeat rate" slider or a checkbox to make it a one-time command. 

I'm over my head on this, but I can't help thinking the problem is along those lines.

John

John would it make a difference that the Lear you brought over has not been updated for 64bit v4? I have only installed aircraft that have been updated....

I have been looking back through previous posts regarding your keyboard, I had that issue sometime back but can't find it anywhere, sorry.....

hope you get it sorted....

Wayne

13 hours ago, allardjd said:

I suspect that the "continually sending" is the culprit and might be filling the keyboard buffer to the exclusion of everything else.  Check in the control assignments to see if there's a "repeat rate" slider or a checkbox to make it a one-time command. 

No, you're right on JA. Not only was the box ticked to keep repeating the instruction as long as the button was pressed, but it still stops the sim even without the box being ticked. There is another box, just below that one that says something like "send the instruction only once". Any way once that is clicked the switch works normally.

I didn't get any responses to the question about all the aircraft that are in Simobjects but don't show up in the sim - I'm assuming AI aircraft, but would like to hear from someone who knows for sure.

@Wain - the P3Dv4 seems to accept the Lear45 ok. The LM website indicates that there should be no issues porting over the "stock" FSX aircraft. I'll try another tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

You'll have no problems with aircraft the use xml gauges.

Problem comes with gauges and plugins that are 32bit, which was the case with some audio and fuel gauges for a lot of aircraft out there. 32 but binary gauges won't work and will need to be updated to 64 bit. 

I had some planes (like the Manfred Jahn C-47) that I was able to convert with updated plugins and a manual edit of config files. 

Pretty much just add one player e at a time, turn on the ContentError log setting in P3D and check it after loading a flight with the new aircraft. 

11 hours ago, Quickmarch said:

I didn't get any responses to the question about all the aircraft that are in Simobjects but don't show up in the sim - I'm assuming AI aircraft, but would like to hear from someone who knows for sure.

I do beleive that you are correct in assuming they are for Ai use......can't tell for sure as my install has stuff in it that I am testing so it's a bit jumbled....