If FSX crashes, it could be worse.

I think Coff is probably on the right track - probably someone else on the field turned on a unit using the same frequency, though I did think the modern RC stuff used encoded commands to avoid that - not sure.

John

Most RC Fields have a board with frequency flags on them, if you take that flag you are permitted to turn on your radio using that frequency and no one without that frequency flag is allowed to turn on the radio if their radio has that frequency. Every once in awhile some idiot or absent minded person turns on their radio to do a quick flight controls check, shortly after which somebody yells "a a a i e e e" or "Holy shite",a beautiful airplane crashes to the ground and becomes a pile of splinters, and the offender turns off his radio and tries to slip off of the field with all of his gear unnoticed. It's the number one non-pilot error cause of RC airplanes dying early deaths. :( thankfully it never happened to me, but I've had friends lose airplanes that way. They were nicer people than me... the offenders survived. It's very easy to recognize when it happens, all of the controls on the plane crossover to their extreme limits and the plane pitches immediately down to the ground. Exactly as seen in the video above.

Edited by Captain Coffee

@Captain Coffee - ...and the technology hasn't done anything to preclude that yet?  I thought I read somewhere that the modern RC controls send digital-coded commands, not just "tones" so that someone else's transmitter, even if on the same frequency, will be ignored by your receiver.  That's not the case?  Seems like it would be fairly easy to do with the kind of electronics rabbits that can be pulled out of the hat today. 

Your cell phone doesn't ring if someone dials me, even if we're standing next to one another.

John

I really don't know what the state of the art now is John, havn't flown RC anything in years. But RC fields still have frequency boards from the Youtubing I watch of the subject...a page called Flight Test goes to big events like this, and there is often a freq board on the fields that I have seen, there must be a good reason for it.

Just googled it...modern radios use a 2.4 ghz freq that has sub channels that switch automatically to help prevent interference. Perhaps the pilot was using an old school 72mhz radio...there were a bunch of really fully featured and very programmable radios that used the 72mhz, maybe he clung (regrettably) to his old radio?

• Thanks 1