ATC Might Not Be at the Airport

ATC Might Not Be at the Airport

Interesting article.  We've long known that the ARTCCs (FIRs in non-US places?) are not necessarily located at an airport - most probably aren't.  For the most part however, tower and ground controllers are at the airport, typically with a Mark I eyeball view of the relevant airspace and real estate.  Some larger airports now have Ground Control Radar, with the advantage that they can even see the ground traffic when visibility is obscured by WX (makes you wish they'd had it at Tenerife a while back).

Anyway, it's changing now in some places...

John

An interesting article John. London City is an airport I am familiar with and next time I pass it I will look out for the cameras.

The concept seems to me to be a good one, factor in zoom and low light cameras for after dark activity and aĺl in all its probably better than the Mk1 eyeball. 

London City, while busy, is a small footprint airport and I can see the system working well there, I guess it would work well at places like Farnborough and other airports of that size. Heathrow? Probably not, although to augment other systems, perhaps.

Edited by J G