***Fanfare Sounds*** HEAR YE!, HEAR YE! Hear Ye!!

Good day to you fine fellows, some of you may remember me, others not. For those that may, you'll no doubt have been hanging around here for a very long time - your esteemed 'leader' Mutley (aka Joe Lawford) may well remember be as Simi_Av8r, a previous alias of mine used here way back in the midsts of time.

Since the mid- 2000's i've been following life's path and whatever my military service (Royal Air Force, naturally) has thrown at me - inevitably meaning that i have very little spare time to enjoy flying anymore. I moved away from my native South East England and now reside in, arguably the most beautiful part of the UK, the North East of Scotland in the lovely city of Elgin thanks to work (RAF Lossiemouth). 

I'm now finding spare time to help my local Air Training Corps out, and here's the best bit, the cadets do 'offline' flying using one of their 2 simulators flying in either FSX or Prepar3D - so i'm back in the game!

i have a few questions to throw out there, and really do hope you clever folks will have some answers to help a gent along.

Edited by si3po
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, allardjd said:

Welcome back, Simi - you'll always be Simi...  Happy to see you back.  

I guess with a Spanish accent you're now C3PO. Si...? See...?

John

Hi John, good to be back.

Simi is fine by me, but think of me more as an upgraded version of C3PO (of Star Wars fame) - human cyborg relations... 

Hi Si, yep, I remember you. Glad you're up in my neck of the woods. I'm over on Loch Ness though. My lad is still in the RAF but he's down at Wittering just now prepping for another OOA. Glad to have you back in the fold and glad you're back in the pit.

Catch  you later buddy.

ATB

Brian

Welcome back to the Hangar Simi.

I thought i recognised the name from somewhere so i looked up your old posts.. looks like i joined the year after you left..  did you ever sort out the VBA for Mrs Av8r?  

You did some great legs for ATWC3 back then,  so if you're game, and if time allows, we're on ATWC7 at the moment..

Look forward to seeing the list of questions.. challenges are what make life interesting [did I say that? :whis:]

1 minute ago, hlminx said:

Welcome back to the Hangar Simi.

I thought i recognised the name from somewhere so i looked up your old posts.. looks like i joined the year after you left..  did you ever sort out the VBA for Mrs Av8r?  

You did some great legs for ATWC3 back then,  so if you're game, and if time allows, we're on ATWC7 at the moment..

Look forward to seeing the list of questions.. challenges are what make life interesting [did I say that? :whis:]

Hi mate, yes the ATWC was rather challenging at times. I don't recall the problems I had with VBA back then, but I'm still plugging away with Excel spreadsheets and VBA coding on a very frequent basis, albeit for work this time...

Hi Simi

I absolutely love Excel.. I have to keep it a secret sometimes or people I work with think I'm nerdy :secret: Why bother with Word, Project and even Visio, when you can do (most of) it in Excel..

I never really got into VBA  but it's logic statements at the end of the day so usually there is an errant comma or something seemingly insignificant that throws in the entire toolbox [after the spanner]. 

I'm sure the collective at MH can help with the questions..  we'll certainly try.

14 minutes ago, hlminx said:

Hi Simi

I absolutely love Excel.. I have to keep it a secret sometimes or people I work with think I'm nerdy :secret: Why bother with Word, Project and even Visio, when you can do (most of) it in Excel..

I never really got into VBA  but it's logic statements at the end of the day so usually there is an errant comma or something seemingly insignificant that throws in the entire toolbox [after the spanner]. 

I'm sure the collective at MH can help with the questions..  we'll certainly try.

Well, I currently work in the Supply Chain Management cell at work, so that means hours in front of a screen analysing off the shelf stock satisfaction rates, stock optimisation levels and such are now my bag - it sure beats working as a fuelly issuing AVTUR to the Airside refuelling bowsers and getting cold in this weather!

I've been asking for this role for so long, and now it's mine. You could say I'm happier than a pig in s**t! 😂

Edited by si3po
2 minutes ago, si3po said:

Well, I currently work in the Supply Chain Management cell at work, so that means goes in front of a screen analysing off the shelf stock satisfaction rates, stock optimisation levels and such are now my bag - it sure beats working as a fuelly issuing AVTUR to the Airside refuelling bowsers and getting cold in this weather!

I've been asking for this role for so long, and now it's mine. You could say I'm happier than a pig in s**t! 😂

Ahhh. Analysis... that was my last role, although it was for large scale printed items, display equipment and such.. nowhere near as interesting as working for our RAF!

Nowadays I'm an SME [she says "expert" loosely] for a SAP electronic procurement system. Like you, I love my job,  but miss the aviation tie-in. Now if I could do what I do,  and look out the window of my office and see aircraft instead of trees, I'd consider myself very privileged indeed :D

6 minutes ago, hlminx said:

Ahhh. Analysis... that was my last role, although it was for large scale printed items, display equipment and such.. nowhere near as interesting as working for our RAF!

Nowadays I'm an SME [she says "expert" loosely] for a SAP electronic procurement system. Like you, I love my job,  but miss the aviation tie-in. Now if I could do what I do,  and look out the window of my office and see aircraft instead of trees, I'd consider myself very privileged indeed :D

I suppose there is that aspect, although having a fair few (very) noisy Typhoons taking off at regular intervals does upset your chain of thought or important meetings at the most inconvenient time. Still I do love my career.

As for my question, it's over here: 

• 2 weeks later...