Hi Phil, likewise, I dipped my toes into VR with the Rift about 18 months ago.  Novelty wore off after a while, as far as general use. Mainly because I had to keep running the setup procedures each time I chose to use it, which can take some time.  The reason for that being that I had to put away the sensors after use.  As it all got in the way of the wife who uses the same work area.  That said I do still "get it out" from time to time but only use it with Aerofly which is well suited to it.  Was it worth the buy ? probably not.  Oh, and if you are a spectacle user.  You will more than likely need lenses and holders to insert into the headset.  As spectacle frames are uncomfortable to wear at the same time as the headset.

I looked into but gave it a miss eventually, not for me however the devs are pushing it a lot.....I use Saitek panels and wouldn't be able to use them with VR....

As Andrew said above I tried the Oculus Rift a good while back and until yesterday it has sat in my study gathering dust for about a year. Yesterday I gave it away to my son who is doing a masters degree in video game design as I will not be using it again.

Points against:

• Expensive
  • Resolution poor
  • Very difficult to use with glasses 
  • Heavy 
  • Impossible to use a keyboard when using it
  • Novelty wares off quickly
  • Lens inserts that are available don't fit well

Points for:

• 3d environment 
  • Err....

Edited by J G

I also purchased a thing that sits on top of the headset that enabled areas  of the screen to be clicked on to replace keyboard use. I never got it to work and it was a lengthy process to map clickable areas to key strokes.

All in all it was an expensive exercise into a developing area. In my humble opinion it is better to buy a track IR. Its an older but much better solution, as is a good add-on that enables good extra views to be created.

Wouldn't consider using VR again unless:

• The resolution is much much higher
  • The set is much lighter
  • There is a way to flip to normal vision and 3D vision without having to remove the device
  • The set contains space for corrective lenses - Perhaps having replaceable zero prescription inserts with bespoke corrective lenses replacing them if required.
Edited by J G
  • 2 months later...
On 03/03/2019 at 06:21, phil white said:

I am interested to know if anyone has used VR yet on their favourite flight simulator. X-plane users rave about the Oculus Rift but it is all alien to me.

I'm a Designer in an online company that offers cat beds on sale (which provide a comfortable area for your kitty to relax and enjoy life. We offer a wide selection so that you can find the perfect cat bed to match your home's décor and your cat's unique personality). I tried one before and it was really fun. :)

Edited by Kiron123