That's good news UM, if they make it as good as the Mustang then it will be right up there with the best.

this will be of interest to uncle Mutley as he likes baby planes...

Nah! I like something a bit more butch! :thanks:

Cheers

Yep, simplicity is the name of the game in new aircraft. As technology improves the pilots work load continues to reduce.

The Mustang is the same, very little to worry about even in a business jet, thanks to the G1000 and a FADEC.

:unclemartin:

Guys, guys, guys... get a grip. This thing is intended for the new LSA (light sport aviation) category. It's somewhere south of the 152 in perfromance and is intended for daylight VFR only. It's barely more than an ultralight with a sexy panel. It carries 24 gallons of fuel and has a full fuel payload of about 340 lbs. I doubt it will ever see that advertised 118 knot maximum cruise speed in level flight, even with 2 gallons in the tanks (...or is that tank?) and a 98 lb test pilot. This is not a serious airplane - it's barely more than a toy.

I'm sure it's a well designed, high quality contrivance, but the performance is abyssmal. The intended market is for weekend fliers who can't afford real flying and aren't handy enough to manage a home-built. I don't understand what everyone is oohing and ahhhing about here. Oh - nice paint, I suppose... and the panel IS cute. Good move posting this here instead of in RW Aviation.

Sorry to be cynical, but in my opinion, virtually every airplane built in the last 50 years is more praiseworthy than this one, including some that are real stinkers.

John

Guys, guys, guys... get a grip. This thing is intended for the new LSA (light sport aviation) category. It's somewhere south of the 152 in perfromance and is intended for daylight VFR only.

Err... we know! I wasn't extolling it's virtues and claiming it was the next revolutionary aircraft, just said it was Flight1's next collaboration with Cessna. I'm sure many simmers love baby planes.

Good move posting this here instead of in RW Aviation.

Not sure what you mean there. It's flight1's next project, hence the flight sim section of the forum.

Some people get a great deal of pleasure out of flying mini planes in flight sim. We can't all have the same tastes. I love em all shapes and sizes. I would imagine I could have great fun with this guy in the sim. Nothing is more boring than flying the same type over and over again.

Youv'e become Herc obsessed John. :smile: Think small, it's more environmentally friendly. :unclemartin: You are suffering from HOS. Hercules Obsession Syndrome. :winka:

Youv'e become Herc obsessed John. Think small, it's more environmentally friendly. You are suffering from HOS. Hercules Obsession Syndrome.

This is about as environmentally friendly as I get...

HRC130B.jpg.jpg

...and THIS is a panel!

Leg65-08jpg.jpg

Leg65-05jpg.jpg

Leg65-04jpg.jpg

Leg65-31.jpg

Leg65-32.jpg

John has too many neurons; he has to keep them all firing with highly complex panels.

I suspect he needs some transcendental meditation, concentration on a simple mantra might calm down the storm of electrical activity in his brain. Then, just maybe, he'll be seen swooping over the virtual countryside in a hang glider, chanting a soothing mantra and contemplating his next environmental rescue package.

:unclemartin:

Martin,

I don't know much about neuron-count, but I do believe (being serious here) that keeping all of them as busy as possible as often as possible helps insure that I'll still have the use of them down the road. Alzheimer's scares the crap out of me and if learning how to cold-start a Herc from a panel with about a hundred steam gauges will help keep that particular wolf away from the door, bring it on... and I do love the smell of Jet A in the morning!

As for the meat, medium rare is fine... with horseradish and Yorkshire Pudding. For dessert, something with a lot of fruit, so sweet it makes your teeth hurt and lurking underneath about 10,000 calories of ice cream, is just about right. My ancestors did not claw their way to the top of the food chain for me to eat lettuce.

As for the environment... you know what I think about that. We need a nuclear plant on every other corner and a hydrogen filling station on the alternate ones - end of problem, if there really is one.

John

EDIT: how's this UM?

That's perfect Uncle Mut! :thum:

I don't know much about neuron-count, but I do believe (being serious here) that keeping all of them as busy as possible as often as possible helps insure that I'll still have the use of them down the road. Alzheimer's scares the crap out of me and if learning how to cold-start a Herc from a panel with about a hundred steam gauges will help keep that particular wolf away from the door, bring it on... and I do love the smell of Jet A in the morning!

Yes it's an awful disorder isn't it? And yes, there is lots of research to suggest that learning new tasks does have a protective effect. Stem cell therapy offers great hope, as do other recent breakthroughs.

Feel free to continue straining your cerebral porridge with the Herc, in fact I demand it! I

• 3 weeks later...

Since this thread actually began with Skycatcher....

John

Unrecoverable Spin Led To Skycatcher Loss (From AVwebBiz)

As was the case with the first Skycatcher prototype crash, an unrecoverable spin led to the loss of the second and last flying Cessna 162 last week. The second airplane had been fitted with a larger tail as a result of the first crash. And, as in the first crash, there were complications with the parachute recovery system that led to the aircraft being wrecked, according to preliminary report issued Tuesday by the NTSB. The report says the test pilot set up an unspecified "planned test condition" and the aircraft entered a "rapid and disorienting spin" from which the pilot couldn't recover. Unlike the previous accident, in which the ballistic parachute recovery system failed to deploy, the chute opened this time but caused further problems in the rest of the accident sequence. The report was first publicly release on the Archer Bravo Aviation blog site late Tuesday and Cessna's offices were closed.

According to the report, the parachute had been modified to be jettisoned by the pilot in flight. After the aircraft stabilized, the pilot tried several times to release the chute but couldn't. Possibly concerned that his actions would unpredictably cause the chute to release, he considered taking his chances with his personal parachute but had run out of altitude and elected to ride the airplane down instead of bailing out. Initially, damage to the airplane was limited mostly to the landing gear but because the pilot was unable to release the parachute on the ground, the wind caught it and the airplane was dragged more than half a mile until it caught in a fence. It ended up inverted and heavily damaged.