Need some hardware help....

I am new to the Ocala Flight Sim Club, have been simming for 10 years approximately.

I need a new computer, I would like some input.

1. What brands are better than others for simming?

2. Ideal processor?

3. What amount of memory will run FSX all maxed out?

4. What processor is the big question?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Hopefully you'll get some better advice than mine. Hardware is not my strong area...

I do know this about laptops... the video card is the tough part. When they design laptops, the primary criterea is to build it with things that fit in the box - small and light (and probably cheap) are more important than some other attributes such as standardization and the abiltiy to upgrade. My former laptop had a very odd video card. It couldn't be updated or replaced and it didn't perform very will with FS. I was pretty much stuck with it until it died. I did have a full size monitor, keyboard and mouse attached, and all those were fine, but I really chafed with the limitations of the video card and was not too sorry when it finally went belly up and I had to replace it.

I don't say that all laptops are bad for FS, but the ability to pull out today's video card and plug in a replacement one a couple of years down the road may end up being important. I'll probably always own a laptop for portability and being able to connect when travelling, but will never use one as my primary FS machine again.

John

Thanks, John.

I appreciate the information. You aren't the first one that has warned of the limitations regarding laptop video cards.

I'll have to do some footwork and see if there may be something of quality that has an upgradable video card. I don't want it as my primary FS machine but I travel and it would be handy to have a laptop for portable simming.

See you Thursday morning at the breakfast.

Steve

Steve,

Feel free to repeat your post in the Hardware section of the main MH forum. We're full members of that too and there's no need to limit yourself to the advice of the OFSC members by staying here. I suspect you'll get more traffic there.

They don't bite... not even Yanks.

John