Leg 27 UHWW-RKTN, Vladivostok-Daegu

After getting stuck at the airport due to a faulty gear system, rahter than head back home in the 747 I hopped into my DC-10 and continued the challenge. The FSX Flight planner went a bit nuts and drew me a long and elaborate flight plan that was almost 1,000nm long, which was too long for the time I had. I opted to manually create the flight plan which would take us all the way down the coast giving some spectacular views on the right side of the aircraft. Unfortunately for those passengers sitting on the left side of the aircraft all they would see would be the blue of the sea....

All aboard!

144-1.jpg

After taxing out to the runway one of the maintenance guys got this shot as he got out of our way

145.jpg

Applying full power, we are fully loaded today

146.jpg

Flying past the tower, gear in transit

147.jpg

Our departure runway meant we only had to make a slight left turn to be on course, here we join the coast line and continue to climb to FL320

148.jpg

It all looks good up ahead. We departed just after 4pm local time, so hopefully we will land around sunset

149.jpg

150.jpg

Sure enough, about halfway through our cruise the sun began to set

151.jpg

We will make a sweeping left turn and follow that coastline all the way down to Daegu

152-1.jpg

The sunset is making some great colours today

153.jpg

Passengers enjoying the views of the mountains

154.jpg

It's a bit cold up here, outside air temperature reported as -31.7 celcius

155.jpg

The sun sets for another day, but the challenge must continue

156.jpg

Manourvering for final approach

157.jpg

ATC Brings us in waaaaaay too high, so I abort the landing and switch to VFR to prevent some stupid vectors to get me back on course

158.jpg

If you want a job doing, do it yourself. Turning to finals

159.jpg

The default scenery in this part of the world is quite good, i was expecting it to be poor

160.jpg

Descending with the ILS, final approach speed today is 149kts with flaps at 50 degrees

161.jpg

The chase plane zooms ahead to get this shot as we are almost ready to land

162-1.jpg

Last few seconds of leg 27

163.jpg

All parked up and ready for the next flight to Okayama in Japan

164.jpg

:thumbup::thanks:

Oh boy, Rob, are you sure you haven't been planning this one for ages?

Excellent shots and commentary, thank you for getting us (and the baton) safely to South Korea, hopefully Gareth is around to take over the baton!

Great post, cheers!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Honest, i've not been planning that one! I've found over the last couple of weeks that the flights I just decide to do at the drop of a hat always seem to be the best.

The question that is now raised is: How do I plan a great flight without actually planning it??? :thumbup:

By Golly, Rob - you sure did well to take the baton there! In fact, I'm running out of superlatives - screen-shots and commentary up to your normal high standards - that doesn't do you justice, though.... :thumbup:

Keep 'em coming, Rob! :thanks:

Cheers - Dai. :thum: