Grumman AA-5B short review

Name: FS2004/FSX Grumman American AA-5B Tiger

Publisher/Author: Tim Piglet Conrad

Available from: http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads- ... tails.html Freeware!

Description: First introduced in 1974, the AA-5 series were unique in their bonded honeycomb airframes, producing a simple, smooth, and strong structure. With a sliding canopy and quick controls, the AA-5 were a breed apart. The later AA-5B series had more powerful engines, giving a needed boost in performance. This FS2004/FSX model is painted in a real world paint scheme, and has full ani's and VC with some custom gauges. Includes extra FSX files to ease porting over to FSX.

My Thoughts: When I saw this aircraft I was naturally curious, why? Well this was the very first GA aircraft I flew in for real. I remember the excitement, anticipation and a little apprehension if I'm honest but that all went in a blink of an eye when we rotated. That loud bumpy rumbling journey along the runway at Southampton became far more pleasurable as we smoothly ascended along with the mesmerizing long deep drone of the engine.

Of course that's my memory through rose tinted glasses but would this aircraft life up to my expectations? A resounding Yes!

Screenshots:

Looking around the aircraft on the ground I was impressed with the animations, the canopy slides back with a press of the exit key and the cargo door works independently with Exit+2.

AA-5B-001.jpg

AA-5B-002.jpg

The 2d cockpit was adequate but I don't plan to use it.

AA-5B-003.jpg

This is where I plan to fly it from! This has a very nice VC for the price! I love the "Uncle Piglet's Dog Treats" on the floor and the saucy picture next to the pilot, he has me bowled over already!

AA-5B-004.jpg

With a touch of prime she started straight away, and there was that engine note from my past!

AA-5B-008.jpg

The animated canopy just closing as we line up.

AA-5B-010.jpg

On the toe brakes throttle on it's way up to full.

AA-5B-011.jpg

This is exactly what I remember, a steady rate of climb already.

AA-5B-012.jpg

She is surprising agile and light on the controls, not what I expected.

AA-5B-014.jpg

This is going to be a quick trip out to the lake, an orbit then land.

AA-5B-015.jpg

I have to make a tight turn here. She's coping so well, not like an aerobatic aircraft but makes me feel confident she will make it.

AA-5B-016.jpg

Runway off to the right, mixture is set to 50% she is running nice and smooth.

AA-5B-017.jpg

Turning on to short finals, animated flaps.

AA-5B-018.jpg

Nice and steady no surprises offered up.

AA-5B-019.jpg

Nice roll out, had to push the nose to the tarmac as she didn't want to herself I expect the CofG had moved back further than I thought.

AA-5B-020.jpg

Off to park up and write this report.

AA-5B-021.jpg

Ratings (Out of 5) 4.5

A very competent aircraft, it's not sporty but it's an ideal first aircraft to train on or just take out for some Sunday afternoon driving. Definitely worth adding to your FS2004 or FSX collection, you won't see many of these around so you are bound to get some attention flying this one!

Mut,

I also flew one of these occasionally in real life so this brings back some memories for me as well. Very nice

article - and I like the new section.

Things I remember about her...

Castering nose wheel - ground steering was like a tail-dragger . If you didn't use differential braking you had

to goose the engine to get a blast of propwash on the rudder to start her turning.

Split flaps, not Fowler flaps - better than nothing, but not very effective.

A busy airplane - you had to fly it every second (ours had no autopilot, either). This was never a docile,

hands-off aircraft. Dropping a chart on the floor and bending down to pick it up was a quick way to get a

lesson in recovery from unusual attitudes.

Thanks John, glad you like the new section, time to get those creative juices flowing again!

And you are so right she really is a hands on aircraft!

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Castering nose wheel - ground steering was like a tail-dragger . If you didn't use differential braking you had

to goose the engine to get a blast of propwash on the rudder to start her turning.

.. and also I seem to recall not averse to Bunny Hopping on landing if you didn`t nail the correct speed and attitude.

On the strength of the review I'll download and have a go.

Dave