FS9 Article in Computer Pilot

I have to bring to the Hangars-On's attention an article in the latest issue of Computer pilot (Oct-Nov 2010). It's by our MH friend Gabe the Pilot, using his real name. It begins on page 26 and is titled, "Flight Simulator 2004 - Life in the Old Bird". Unlike most of the review articles in the FS magazines these days, it's longer (a full six pages) and more substantial than their usual fare.

Gabe has done a great job writing this piece, obviously putting in a fair amount of time and research. He even went so far as to survey developers, who provide some interesting comment and opinion on the ongoing phenomenon of a seven year old sim that still has new products coming out for it. Whether you still use FS9 or not, Gabe's article is an interesting piece of work and well worth the time to read it. I'm not trying to convince anyone to let go of FSX and go back to FS9 and neither is he, really, but it's just a good and interesting piece.

Not everything he says applies in my case, but he has surrounded my rationale for staying with FS9 within his prose about the pros of it.

Great job, Gabe. It's the best piece in that issue, by a fair margin. I hope you got paid.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I have to bring to the Hangars-On's attention an article in the latest issue of Computer pilot (Oct-Nov 2010). It's by our MH friend Gabe the Pilot, using his real name. It begins on page 26 and is titled, "Flight Simulator 2004 - Life in the Old Bird". Unlike most of the review articles in the FS magazines these days, it's longer (a full six pages) and more substantial than their usual fare.

Gabe has done a great job writing this piece, obviously putting in a fair amount of time and research. He even went so far as to survey developers, who provide some interesting comment and opinion on the ongoing phenomenon of a seven year old sim that still has new products coming out for it. Whether you still use FS9 or not, Gabe's article is an interesting piece of work and well worth the time to read it. I'm not trying to convince anyone to let go of FSX and go back to FS9 and neither is he, really, but it's just a good and interesting piece.

Not everything he says applies in my case, but he has surrounded my rationale for staying with FS9 within his prose about the pros of it.

Great job, Gabe. It's the best piece in that issue, by a fair margin. I hope you got paid.

John

Hehe...

Least said about payment, the better I think !

Thanks for your kind words anyhoo.

:icon_welcomeani:

Fantastic article Gabe, your best yet IMO. I still use FS9 lots, mainly for VA flying because it is far more stable and gives better FPS than FSX. I use FSX mainly for reviews and VFR flights. Although with a bit of tweaking it is possible to find a sweet spot for all types of flight that will give good performance in FSX. I find that FS9 is better for flying online as I don't get the random CTDs and lock-ups that I get with FSX

Just annoyed that I didn't get to mention the iFly 7373 -although it was referred to in the editorial - due to the fact it was written back in March I think.

And, why do the images never do justice to the full sized versions? Apparently the paper they use is actually very expensive... it does nothng for photo-images. Shame really, particularly when you're trying to make a point with an image. It's not just the size, but they all lack puch, sharpness and what have you. And, submitting dark images, as some of you already know, is pretty pointless too!

I dunno, when you put a lot of effort into creating screenies and even more deciding which to submit, it's a real bummer sometimes, when you see them in a mag and think "why did I bother?". I mean the Hong Kong scenery and the VC of the SAAB for example, both look stunning in FS9... those pics do them a dis-service.

Starting to think the internet is the way to go... at least even small images can be enlarged, or even links provided to the originals.