Charles Kingsford Smith's "Southern Cross" and a piece of aviation history from the era of gallant and erudite gentleman. The original from 1928 is now housed in a special display hangar at Brisbane Airport (YBBN). There is also a full-sized flying replica in Adelaide, South Australia, which was built in the 1980's and is the largest replica aircraft in the world.

Nothing fancy in this cockpit, just an ADF, a compass and a chronometer.

fsx2011042217524668.jpg

A low fly pass of Wolf Rock.

fsx2011042217544180.jpg

A tad long on the touchdown back at EGHI, but OK for this old bird.

fsx2011042219435736.jpg

as far as I know, it is a Ford tri-motor, please please, you know the local beer in Brisbane is XXXX as the locals can't spell the correct word, beer to most of you! a little licence over a venerable tri-motor. You can't expect us to count as well as fly.

Damn, that "tri" bit stumps me every time, is that what it stands for. I thought it meant "try". I originally had the standard F.VIIa/1m variant (single engine) ready to go but was swayed and blinded by patriotism at the last minute. I will have to fly the protest flag, lodge an official protest, disqualify myself, take myself out the back and give myself a good thrashing.

Mental note - know your aircraft and check all entries.

Now for the history lesson and the Ford Trimotor, the Fokker F.VII first flew in 1924. The Ford Trimotor was extremely similar in appearance, was based on designs of Hugo Junkers, was of all metal design and first flew in 1926. Apart from different engines, noticeable differences were the position of the wings, which sat completely on top of the fuselage on the F.VII and a different shaped empennage. The trailing edge of the Ford Trimotor's wings where below the top of the fuselage.

And the "Southern Cross" was definitely a Fokker F.VIIb/3m or the history books have got it completely wrong.

As for XXXX, no one else in Australia drinks it except Queenslanders.

I stand corrected. Fokker it is and I thought you might have poured salt on the wound :rolleyes: by informing all and sundry that xxxx is now owned by a Western Australian company!

Alex,

As I'm sure you appreciate, there is any number of further insults about Queenslanders and XXXX I could have added, but everybody has probably seen them, heard them or had them thrown their way. :blahblah:

Besides, to be fair, I have to admit to having both lived in Queensland and drunk XXXX whilst I was there - but then I escaped. :icon_thumbup:

And, yes, when living there, I enjoyed it. :icon_bowdown:

Cheers

Andrew

I think that it is rather like the old time ocean liners, for prestige they used to have one or more dummy funnels! I think the third engine on the Fokker may be the same, just a dummy. Switch 0ff the third fan and see if two will suffice. :icon_yikes:

We will leave it to your conscience Andrew, so that's what a ".....b/3m" is! It's my fault for not checking your entry close enough, little did I know that you were taking advantage of us all, you should be ashamed!!

So no using the nose engine from now on ^_^

Oh the shame, the shame. Or as a local "shock jock" here in Australia would say "Shame, shame, shame." :blush:

To think that I would try and take advantage of the situation, and using the oldest aircraft in the rally. :sorry:

I have even taken to seeking solace from the bottle, but not even a good Barossa Valley shiraz can ease my conscience.

Whilst I plead my innocence, I will have to accept the punishment - "internment in the penal colony of Victoria for the term of his natural life". :bye: