The Tour Tests - Weather permitting!

Hey guys,

I finally decided today which aircraft I'll be using on my upcoming VFR tour of Alf's UK Airfields.

The airfields range from the small Baxterley (350m grass runway) to the longer asphalted types like Dunsfold, Blackbushe or Duxford.

I intend using mostly fighter planes of WWII vintage - purely because I otherwise rarely get to fly them and the navigation should be even more of a challenge. There are some GA aircraft just in case, and a couple of larger twins for the long trips to Shetland and back.

So first of all, I needed to test and see if the smallest strip was big enough for those aircraft with the longest requirements for take-off. I'm not sure I tested the right ones, in that respect, but they will do.

I set the weather to that which I will be using for the entire tour - grey, rainy with low cloudbase and 16 knot winds. Geronimo! :icon_thumbup:

Anyway - here are the pics of the tests, all at Baxterley.

I started off with the A-1H Skyraider. It just managed to get off the ground in time, if a little 'squiff' (Baxterley strip has a bend! :yikes: ).

Once up and on the downwind leg of the circuit, it became a real feat just to keep the airstrip in sight - it blends in perfectly with the UTX and GEX Europe scenery:

justaboutspotita-1h.jpg

I found it nigh-on impossible to get the Skyraider down in the wind, and after two circuits decided it was time for the next one - the PC-9. It is very well modelled (as are all Iris aircraft) and as I jumped into the cold cockpit on this very damp and miserable afternoon, this was what I could see:

PC-9visibility.jpg

However, we soon had the cockpit warmed up and things became much more clear - like the hedge I only just managed to clear on lift-off (remember - the strip bends to the left):

PC-9justmadeoverhedge.jpg

This time, I kept a tighter line on the circuit:

PC-9comingaround.jpg

...and got her down in one piece:

PC-9rtg.jpg

Next up, and last, was the Beagle Basset - again, only just managed to get it airborne in time:

justaboutenoughspace.jpg

The strip is visible at the start of the circuit:

whenyouknowwhereitis.jpg

...but where the heck has it gone now?

spottheairstrip2.jpg

I cheated and used the tower view to see where the strip was in comparison to my 'plane:

Bassetcircuit.jpg

and again got her down safely:

Bassetfinals.jpg

Wow - this tour is gonna be FUN! :cool:

Here is the selection of aircraft from which I will be drawing. Maybe get to use them all - but probably not.

VFRlist.jpg

It's 63 flights - so enough, but if I like (or dislike) a particular aircraft, it may stay on for a second flight (or get dumped).

JD

Thanks Joe - this test has got me a lot more excited about it.

What's FTX, though? Isn't that an Australian scenery package?

I'm using UTX and GEX ;) and a little custom theme in REX, with user-defined FSX weather too.

Chars

JD

Sorry JD, GEX it is, I am just too excited about the Royal Wedding to concentrate properly :rofl:

Thanks - their T-6 Texan II is just as good - in fact, it's a much more advanced model and a very similar aircraft. I reckon it's a licence built PC-9 tbh.

The first time I tried to fly it, it ended up in flames by the end of the runway!

I'll stick a piccy up when I find it.

JD

Here's ya T-6 Texan II screenies and some comparisons.

Actually, I was wrong (my memory is shocking these days) and it was the PC-9 that I blew up on my first attempt at flight, before even the end of the runway!:

2008-11-27_23-29-10-390.jpg

2008-11-27_23-29-37-892.jpg

The T-6 has recently been further improved, though the original was good to start with. It was one of the first of Iris' 'high fidelity' pro type models. With either the T-6 or PC-9 you get all the models twice - once with a standard GPS500 thus:

stdGPST-6.jpg

and once with the RW standard KLN model:

klngps.jpg

Rwgpst-6vc.jpg

for direct comparison - here's that PC-9 VC again:

PC-9vc.jpg

You can actually see the T-6 improvements here - the top VC is the old one and the bottom T-6 VC is the newer model. Stands out :)

Now a few pics of the newer T-6 for your perusal:

2011-4-29_15-34-9-930.jpg

2011-4-29_15-33-12-203.jpg

2011-4-29_15-33-18-200.jpg

2009-5-26_19-20-10-222.jpg

2008-11-30_22-54-54-308.jpg

2008-11-27_23-44-26-56.jpg

2008-11-27_23-10-23-812.jpg

2008-11-27_23-8-30-345.jpg

If you go for either of these models, you'll be onto a winner - they are both excellent to look at(you can even drop ordnance from them) and both of them are a real pleasure to fly.

Worth every penny. :001_th_smiles89:

JD

Did I mention, they also do the RAE 'Percy' version of the PC-9A?

No?

Well, allow me to introduce...

2011-4-29_18-46-53-404.jpg

2011-4-29_18-47-37-474.jpg

2011-4-29_18-47-50-877.jpg

if the weather is bad outside - you'll start having trouble seeing out

2011-4-29_18-49-41-92.jpg

The rear seat view:

2011-4-29_18-51-55-339.jpg

2011-4-29_18-55-6-970.jpg

So there ya go. The manual is excellent, too, with in-depth descriptions of all the systems and gauges.

JD