Horizon Photo Scenery

More questions :rolleyes:

As mentioned in other posts I'm just starting out on my FSX experience and have now invested (heavily) in the Horizon Photo Scenery Volumes 1-4 (plus -3 upgrades) as well as the Airfields and Treescapes for 1-3.

So far I have received and installed the photo scenery (version 2 - upgrades on way), given the extensive install time for these I managed only a short test flight from Newcastle last night but noticed that the airfield had different terrain levels producing mini cliffs where there shouldn't be any, I also noticed one of the road bridges effectively collpased into the River Tyne before rising out of the other side.

Is this normal? It took the shine off a little. Is there a way to fix it or does anyone know if this will be rectified by the upgrades? Has anyone else got this problem and if so is there a way to remedy the problem?

Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well :sorry:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sabre, this is a difficult one to explain.

The "problem" is that that Gen X VFR scenery is very accurate in all areas whereas default FSX is not, especially when it comes to airfields, what they do is flatten the runway, mostly because AI aircraft need it. This can result in those cliffs especially if the land falls away from the airfield.

So, you are stuck with some ugly airfields, can anything be done? Well yes, next on your list should be UK 2000 VFR airfields, besides adding realism to the layout and buildings, they will blend in with the VFR scenery. They do have some demo packs available for download. Their volumes 1,2,3 etc are matched to the Gen X volumes.

Other things you can do is try to find some custom "Flattens" which are bespoke scenery files that will help the default FSX airfields blend in. Have a look at the play horizon form here for some ideas.

Im not sure about the bridges but I think Gen X released a fix for that and certainly Version 3 does include many fixes so I would wait until you install that and check again :001_th_smiles89:

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks Joe

In my weekend spending spree I ordered the three volumes of the Airfields and the Treescapes and my update discs are apparently on the way so I'll wait and see what it looks like with everything added.

Thanks again

Oh! she is going to look great, those cliffs will be a thing of the past! However, you *may* still get the odd airfield that has not been fixed, that's the time you can look around the web.

All the best,

Joe

By the way, install VFR airfields first and make sure you tick the option for Generation X user, then TreeScapes and I believe there is an option in there to take if you are a VFR Airfields user, otherwise you may find yourself having to re-install the trees :winka:

Looking for some more help :wootmesalia:

I just wondered if there are any recommended settings or fsx.cfg changes to get the best out of the Photo Scenery. I don't seem to be getting any where near the image quality I see in screenshots posted over at PlayHorizon apparently with lesser spec machines than mine.

I may be just doing something dumb.

Machine spec

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz CPU

ASUS P5Q Deluxe MB

4GB RAM

Win 7 Professional 64 bit OS

Scenery settings

Scenerysettings1.jpg

GFX settings

GraphicsSettings1.jpg

Hmm, you may some need fine tuning of your graphics, for a start you only have 1920x1080x16 selected it should be set to 1920x1080x32 try that first :001_th_smiles89:

Hmm, you may some need fine tuning of your graphics, for a start you only have 1920x1080x16 selected it should be set to 1920x1080x32 try that first :001_th_smiles89:

I have 1920x1080x32 on my desktop but don't get that option in game!! Strange

Err Schoolboy error on my behalf - changed now :blush:

Looking for some more help :wootmesalia:

I just wondered if there are any recommended settings or fsx.cfg changes to get the best out of the Photo Scenery. I don't seem to be getting any where near the image quality I see in screenshots posted over at PlayHorizon apparently with lesser spec machines than mine.

I may be just doing something dumb.

Machine spec

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz CPU

ASUS P5Q Deluxe MB

4GB RAM

Win 7 Professional 64 bit OS

Scenery settings

Hey Sabre I don't think there is anything wrong with your system, it's nearly the exact same as mine and the Q9550 will give even the newer i5 prossesors a run for thier money, and we have a L2 cache that is 12mb as well ;).

The only difference between our systems is the graphics card, I have a GTX260 with the latest drivers, have you got the latest ATI drivers?.

Also I do not have my FSX settings as high as yours! you could try to re-set them lower and then increase them a bit at a time untill you reach the limit for your system.

I'll post some screen shots of my settings for you later when I get my gameing PC fired up.

See ya later mate...Graham...

BTW: just try setting your "filtering" to trilinear and turn off the Anti-aliasing, and water to 1X high to see if that helps at all?.

Hey Sabre I don't think there is anything wrong with your system, it's nearly the exact same as mine and the Q9550 will give even the newer i5 prossesors a run for thier money, and we have a L2 cache that is 12mb as well ;).

The only difference between our systems is the graphics card, I have a GTX260 with the latest drivers, have you got the latest ATI drivers?.

Also I do not have my FSX settings as high as yours! you could try to re-set them lower and then increase them a bit at a time untill you reach the limit for your system.

I'll post some screen shots of my settings for you later when I get my gameing PC fired up.

See ya later mate...Graham...

BTW: just try setting your "filtering" to trilinear and turn off the Anti-aliasing, and water to 1X high to see if that helps at all?.

I must admit I don't think it's my system set-up now - I think there's something up with the way Photo Scenery is set up, I really don't think I'm getting the scenery views others are getting even after correcting my schoolboy error with the resolution :blush:

Don't know if anyone has applied the update to V3 yet but mines a nightmare atm. The whole of Newcastle's under water, posted on Play Horizon and others have same issue but as yet no fix.

Underwater1.jpg

Even without this I'm still convinced I'm missing something in the Horizon set-up - does it matter in which order they are loaded?

Intresting that the scenery and plane are out of focus badly!, but the 3D objects look sharp? .

What does it look like when your at 2000 feet?.

Here are my settings for FSX, look at my scren shots in the other thread, I think these settings are working ok for me.

Desktop_2011_06_16_21_35_03_698.jpg

Desktop_2011_06_16_21_32_28_914.jpg

Cheer's...Graham...

Hi Sabre,

I haven't loaded V3 yet and then I only have Vol.1 for where I live. I am sure Gen X had this problem early on. Keeping an eye on their forums is the best bet.

Cheers

Hi Sabre,

I haven't loaded V3 yet and then I only have Vol.1 for where I live. I am sure Gen X had this problem early on. Keeping an eye on their forums is the best bet.

Cheers

Thanks Joe, I posted over on forum, no official word yet. Just a shame really, all my various scenery related discs arrived this week and I was looking forward to experiencing the wonderful views but I don't want to add the Airfields and Treescapes until there's some word on the problem.

Don't suppose anyone knows if there was any kind of update between the V2 and V3 release? Because I have just bought the scenery I installed all three V2 discs then installed all three V3 updates, is that correct?

I don't recall ever seeing an update for v2 (other than v3...)

Thanks guys - it's definitely an issue with the V3 upgrade. Somethings amiss, just waiting for more information from Horizon, which unfortunately is more than a little lacking at present.

I don't recall ever seeing an update for v2 (other than v3...)

Thanks guys - it's definitely an issue with the V3 upgrade. Somethings amiss, just waiting for more information from Horizon, which unfortunately is more than a little lacking at present.

Can you roll back to bog standard V2? at least you should be able to fly out from Newcastle Atlantis then ;)

Or you could drop flying from the North for the minute, and have a look at Wales just to see how your new scenery looks in that part of the country :) (it's very pretty around Welshpool)

Cheer's...Graham...

Or you could drop flying from the North for the minute, and have a look at Wales just to see how your new scenery looks in that part of the country :) (it's very pretty around Welshpool)

Cheer's...Graham...

These are taken in the hills around Llanbedr Airfield.

Llandber1.jpg

Llandber2.jpg

Llandber.jpg

Apparently Llanbedr is for sale (or was) not sure, may be we should buy it :wootmesalia:

Llanbedr Airfield

For information this is a quote from Phil Smith Playsims publishing regarding the Scenery update discs. As explained below the issue is with update disks only not full installs of Version 3. At least there's a solution though it involves downloads. If your disks haven't arrived yet it's becasue they pulled them when they realised there was a problem - all explained below.

Re: Version 3 install problems

Hi guys,

This is to inform you that the management team at Playsims Publishing have now confirmed to me that there is a error in relation to missing files on the update disks only.

Users of the full version 3 are not affected.

Playsims Publishing would like to apologise to all users on behalf of the developers, Horizon and we will be working throughout the weekend to post fixes for these issues.

Distribution of these update disks was stopped yesterday morning when it became clear all was not well.

Having now fixedthe issue, Horizon is uploading the fix as we speak.

Customers who have not recieved this disk will need to wait a few days as we will be sending a disk with this fix on.

Anybody who is not happy about downloading the fixes should send me an email and I will send you a new set.

I am back in the office on Monday when we will start the new manufacturing run.

Please be assured that we will work with Horizon to put this right and Playsims will make sure that no one has anything they do not want.

I am sure Paul will explain shortly how the error occurred during the master disc creation.

To try and ease the pain, I have cleared it with my boss that on Monday we will offer a discount code of 25% off the new Ireland titles.

I will make sure that existing purchases are refunded the difference.

It's clear to me guys that Playsims is not prepared to accept a single unsatisfied customer which makes me feel good for the future.

Regards,

Quote from developer Paul

VFRGX Update Issues Resolution

Dear all,

Having spent some time investigating the issue, it seems that there are two .cab files that are corrupt on the DVDs. These contain some of the replacement 2.4m Photo scenery .bgls. Without these, the area outside the immediate vicinity of the aircraft will appear as water (except in the case of Volume 2, which is also missing the replacement vector file).

I've located and am uploading the missing files. For Volume 2, there will be a download of c. 360MB. For Volume 3, this the missing files are c. 581MB. I'm uploading both of these to our server at the moment and will send links and instructions about what to do with them later this evening.

If you have already installed either volume 2 or volume 3 updates, then please simply leave the installation as it currently is. The download will fix the problem.

If you've waited to install the DVDs, please wait until you have the download before installing the content to ensure no 'down time'.

If you have not yet received the DVDs, please do not download the additional files. Replacement DVDs will be manufactured next week and all orders that have not already been fulfilled will be held until a new DVD is ready to be shipped - furthermore, doing so will reduce the download speed for those who need the content to resolve issues with the existing DVDs. (Playsims will confirm a delivery date on Monday following discussion with the manufacturer.)

After the huge amount of time and energy that has gone into the development of this content, we're absolutely devasted this has happened. Please accept our unreserved apologies for any inconvenience or frustration caused.

Kind regards,

Paul

I've just been reading the 7 page diatribe on Horizon's forum. Oh what a monumental cock up! My discs still haven't arrived, so it sounds like I'm one of the "lucky" ones!

I've just been reading the 7 page diatribe on Horizon's forum. Oh what a monumental cock up! My discs still haven't arrived, so it sounds like I'm one of the "lucky" ones!

Yep - I now have a 581MB and 360MB download :001_th_smiles48:

Please note if you have this software and have not received your Version 3 upgrade disks then you don't need the downloads - the new disks to be sent out will apparently have the fix - see my post on the previous page.

Well thanks guys for posting these updates, I was about to give our Postie a good kick in the shins for not delivering my discs but now I know...

That's not a good introduction for you is it Sabre, Tim and I are used to these shenanigans from Horizon. :secret:

Well thanks guys for posting these updates, I was about to give our Postie a good kick in the shins for not delivering my discs but now I know...

That's not a good introduction for you is it Sabre, Tim and I are used to these shenanigans from Horizon. :secret:

Not the best intro no but I've now downloaded and installed the missing files and it all seems to be working. Now to see what happens with the Airfields and then the Treescapes :winka:

Glad thats sorted out for you Mate :) .

I loaded up the demo of their airfields the other day, they seem to work very well on my justflight real scenery, only problem that I can see ATM, is that the tops of the mountains in Wales have turned a few shades darker than the bottoms?, although that may not be related to adding the demo!, as I have been playing about with my setting a bit, and may have screwed something up in the fsx.CFG file :unsure:

Cheer's...Graham...