Horizon Photo Scenery

That's the way I would do it Graham, however, I would only change the levels if I was getting strange effects from the scenery.

Thanks Joe.

I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong, as the free JF download of RAF Coningsby http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=279 just will not work on my system, if you want to take off from there or look at it from the air, the runway is "FLASHING" on and off badly? :( not sure what I could do to fix it so I deleted it!, all the other freeware at justflight works fine though, anyone have any ideas of what the problem may be?

Cheer's...Graham...

Graham, didn't you install a free runway and taxiway addon previously, maybe there's compatibllity issue with that?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the way I would do it Graham, however, I would only change the levels if I was getting strange effects from the scenery.

Thanks Joe.

I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong, as the free JF download of RAF Coningsby http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=279 just will not work on my system, if you want to take off from there or look at it from the air, the runway is "FLASHING" on and off badly? :( not sure what I could do to fix it so I deleted it!, all the other freeware at justflight works fine though, anyone have any ideas of what the problem may be?

Cheer's...Graham...

Graham, didn't you install a free runway and taxiway addon previously, maybe there's compatibllity issue with that?

Thanks for all the tips Guys, I have deleted RAF Coningsby now, and am going to try a fresh download and install to see if that brings any joy.

Cheer's...Graham...

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who has the Version 3 upgrade for Volumes 1-3 of Horizon Photo Scenery and UK2000 VFR Airfields please see the message below quoted from the UK2000 forum.

Fixes are available by logging in to your products on the UK2000 main website.

Horizon/Playsim have released a new version of Gen-X. This includes 10 hi-res areas for each volume. Regretfully this change caused a problem with 17 of the VFR Airfields.

Here is a list of effected airfields

Exeter

Oxford

Old Sarom

Southampton

Swansea

Caenarfon

Teeside

Doncaster

Scampton

Cambridge

Luton

Notingham

Hucknall

Wellesboourne

Elvington

waddington

Derby

The problem is that the VFR Airfields 'base' image is at 100cm resolution. This was fine for Gen-X V1 and Gen-X v2 as all there photo scenery was 120CM. FSX will always choose the higher resolution (100 is a higher res than 120). Now that we have a few 60CM areas in Genx V3, it means the effected airfields dont display the base image and the Gen-X image shows instead.

Why not remove the VFR airfield base image then?, well it not that's simple, all images were edited to remove 2D objects like cars and aircraft, also the position is slightly different, and real world changes meant most base images were edited to bring them up to date.

The solution is to make an update that increases the resolution of my base images to 50CM, so again FSX will display it. You may be thinking that will hide the new GenX hi-res image of the airfield, well mostly no!

Although you get these new hi-res areas, only the central part is actually a new hi-res image, most of the surrounds is still the low res original GenxV1 but blown up to 60cm. So in reality the only hi-detail area lost by using my airfield base image is Southampton, and 1 out of 240 is not bad.