The iPad is the pilot's best friend

Not for Android? Shame - any reason?

Two reasons: I don't have one, and I don't have a budget to get one, or, particularly, the desire for one. I don't have anything against android as such, but there's nothing that's jumping up and down yelling 'buy me'.

But if a commercial android project came my way, that could change things.

And from a mate in RyanAir... "the flight attendants like them because the pilots now spend time playing angry birds instead of playing pranks on the stewardesses..."

and from a first officer "There's only so much 'I Spy' you can take in the cockpit: 'I spy with my little eye something beginning with c.... clouds... dang. ...beginning with a. airplane? Oh shi........' "

And from a mate in RyanAir... "the flight attendants like them because the pilots now spend time playing angry birds instead of playing pranks on the stewardesses..."

and from a first officer "There's only so much 'I Spy' you can take in the cockpit: 'I spy with my little eye something beginning with c.... clouds... dang. ...beginning with a. airplane? Oh shi........' "

LOL! It's scary because it's true though.

That airline is a disaster waiting to happen.

Viewpoint on the paperless cockpit from a commercial pilot. And he addresses the concern over spilling something on the ipad.

http://salon.com/a/s40IfAA

A very good article. It would seem to reinforce Tim's thoughts and this was particularly relevant:

"The important information is already in the plane's FMS database"

I certainly can understand how the updates would be far less annoying that in the past, swapping out 18 pages and whatnot...

Ultimately, it comes down the importance that a commercial pilot puts on the access to reference. On this occasion, the pilot appears to believe that a 'disaster of the ipads' wouldn't be a major issue anyway - so on that basis there is no argument against them really - even if they are fragile junk (man - they need to do something about that)... My entire argument about relying on the reference in an emergency is unfounded because, according to this particular pilot anyway, an emergency situation does not depend on such references (still wondering what would happen during FMC failure though - I would have thought a pilot may still want to know where a particular VOR/NDB is anyway...) I still think they're missing a beat relying on iPads for everything - even if some pilots don't think it's an issue. But I'm hardly in a position to argue. I just hope we don't witness a 'perfect storm' situation where an aircraft comes down because the pilots were unable to navigate. Unfortunately, most policy is decided by disaster when it comes to commercial flight.

Having said that - the argument for the EFB is easily won but I still feel that the future of the EFB lies in integrated systems. iPads and their like will definitely fill the gaps for older planes - but in time, the need for them will be eliminated by inherent capability of the avionics.