I am running 4 computers over a LAN under WindowsXP only for Microsoft Flight Simulator X ... (and yes I do have 4 copies of both Windows AND FSX ... !!!!). However, the harddisks (150go) are now filling up (80%used) and I need more space for all the new "hungry" scenery addons, without slowing down the OP's. To avoid having to reinstall everything (on 4 computers!!!), I have decided NOT to replace my existing H/D's with new high capacity ones, but to install second disks within the towers "side-by-side".

Friends (and members of other FS forums) assure me that this can be done without slowling down scenery loading, or other technical problems ......

...... can members on this Forum confirm this (or otherwise)? ... any comments would be welcome!

David

Shouldn't be a problem. In fact, adding an extra drive can improve performance (slightly), since it will operate in parallel with your other drive.

Note though that if you are using Orbx scenery, it must live within the FSX folder structure. If you were running Windows 7 that wouldn't be a problem, since you could map the new drive to live inside FSX (it doesn't need to be a letter - D: E: etc- any more). But I don't think that option is available to you in XP.

BTW, I removed your duplicate post ;)

Yes, thankyou Tim ... my clumsy fingerwork duplicated this post!

Indeed, I intend keeping all America on the first harddisk (the one with the OP and FSX) ... this will include of course ORBX NW USA-CANADA, reserving the new disk for Europe, including of course all that lovely UK photo scenery ... (plus the French photo stuff, to keep my French friends happy ... !!!)

David

Hi David,

with a licensed special copy- program, I have created a full 1:1 copy of harddisk and thus counteract the lack of space. I have expanded from 160gb up to 500gb. it works perfectly without failures. Perhaps it is also a solution for you!. :D

Hi David,

sure no problem. if I have understood correctly, you need more space on your harddisk (HDD) and don´t want to install/reinstall everything again.

For that i used: http://www.hdclone.de/

So I upgraded my HDD-space from 160GB to 500GB. This means that I have bought a new 500GB and the 160GB I have copied there.

All with this mentioned program. Thus, a 1:1 copy with the BIOS and everything, and all installed software and programs.

Therefore i could install other software on the "new" 500GB HDD, because I had enough free memory/HDD-space again with no losses. Happy to help.

Has required approximately 02:50h. (160GB to 500GB)

A 1:1 security-copy in case of errors or viruses: (500GB to 500GB)= 04:30h.

Depends on the individual program level (free/payware).

-----I have decided NOT to replace my existing H/D's with new high capacity ones, but to install second disks within the towers "side-by-side".---- sorry; about this I have unfortunately no information.

For Questions, just ask. :thum: