Hello Guys.

Just saw that this software (UltimateDefrag 3) is on sale ATM at PCAviator.com http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=18537&cat=699&page=1

I was thinking about getting this if it helps speed up FSX as much as they claim in the advert? do any of the Mutleys members own/use this software? if you do, what do you think of it with regards to speeding things up FSX wise???

Cheer's...Graham...

From another thread here...

Below is what I said there, but others disagree. You might read that thread before spending any money on defrag software.

John

Just a word about defragging. I believe it's an over-used and over-rated thing in most circumstances and in particular for Flight Simulator. If you consider the FS program and it's supporting files installed to your hard disk, by what mechanism would it become fragmented once installed?

FS, when started, goes to the disk and loads what it needs into memory and runs from there. As you proceed to use it, it will repeatedly go to the disk to fetch other things needed, perhaps the scenery for the area you're flying into. Most things it needs it only fetches to memory once so there's no impact from a fragmented file anyway beyond the duration needed for the one-time fetch.

What FS does NOT do is re-write those things back to the disk, which would lead to fragmentation. FS may edit a few small cfg files or logs, but not much else. There's simply very, very little happening that could cause fragmentation.

De-fragging is indicated when there is a large file that is subject to periodic updating - adds, edits, deletes - in a word, databases or large, live documents. In those situations the files can become badly fragmented over time and that can result in diminishing performance and increased access times. Those kinds of things should be de-fragged as often as needed to keep them performing crisply. Static programs and data files simply don't need it more than once and repeatedly de-fragging to improve FS performance is pretty much a waste of good electrons.

For program files or static data files, of which FS is a great example, there is little need and little benefit to repeated de-fragging. It may perhaps be helpful once just before or after installing FS, or after putting in an add-on that installs something into the FS folder structure - beyond that, it's difficult for me to see how fragmentation of FS files could occur or how de-fragging could possibly improve performance.

If you have FS on its own disc (which is the best way to install it), there is very little need for defragging. But there are some circumstances that it may be beneficial.

Firstly though, in general, if nothing writes to your FS drive, IT WILL NOT BECOME FRAGMENTED. So defragmenting is pointless.

Circumstances in which defragmenting may be helpful:

1. FS is installed on your C: Drive. Why? Because Windows is basically a big file stirrer masquerading as an operating system. It loves nothing better than moving stuff around on the system drive for no discernible benefit, and so FS will become fragmented even if you never run it. This is one of the primary reasons for not installing FS on C:.

2. After installation, or after installing a major addon. Windows takes a scattergun approach to storing data on your hard drive. It is notoriously inefficient, and so a defrag is beneficial simply to store the files in a more efficient manner.

3. If you repeatedly run texture replacement programs (e.g. REX) and replace the installed texture set. This will fragment the texture sets in your FS install over time, but will not fragment the whole of FS.

4. If you've never defragmented your hard drive(s) before. Your data will be like a ball of knotted string.

Note: If you have an SSD, you should NEVER defragment it.

Once you've done an initial defrag, the impact of further defrags will be very small, and on the whole is only worth doing after a major product install (Antarctica X, for example). On my system, I find that 2 or 3 supplemental defrags over the course of a year is more than enough to keep things smooth.

I run 'OO Defrag' and it keeps on top of things - I always see a difference in my system when I have defragged the drive a couple of times after a big install. 'OO Defrag' also has a boot-time defrag that starts before windows starts and therefore can move files that can not normally be moved.

I have never thought about installing FS on a different drive to windows, may try that.

Good stuff there Guy's :thum: .

I'm going to give it a try as I do have FSX installed on my C: drive (coz it's the only one that I have :D ) and I do seem to be buying more and more add-ons almost every week ATM :whis: , I also use REX, and Yes! I do keep changeing my mind all the time with it and install new textures a couple of times each month ;) .

BTW: Good tip about not defragging SSD drives, I did not know that, and I intend to buy one somtime next year :thum: .

Cheer's...Graham...