Impressions of Casey

Casey is the big Australian base in Antarctica. Roughly speaking, it's on the East coast (ok, if you want to be pedantic and say that the coast of Antarctica is all 'North', then it's on the right in the conventional orientation of the map. Okay? It's the bit that's closest to Australia.) It doesn't have an airstrip, but there are two helipads and a ship dock.

ta349.jpg

ta355.jpg

ta356.jpg

ta361.jpg

ta362.jpg

ta396f.jpg

ta397.jpg

ta399.jpg

ta400.jpg

ta401.jpg

ta403.jpg

ta409.jpg

ta410.jpg

ta411l.jpg

Read more about Casey here: http://www.antarctic.../stations/casey

Ok, so I was slightly economical with the truth in that last post. While Casey doesn't have an airstrip, there is one relatively close by. Wilkins Aerodrome is about 40 miles South, up on the Upper Peterson Glacier. There's a track that goes from one to the other. It has mile markers made out of oil cans, and if you are so inclined and have an appropriate vehicle, you can drive it. I flew out there in the helicopter (well, me in a helicopter, you'd hardly call it flying. Let's just say I went, and somebody else paid the repair bill..), and drove back down to Casey. One interesting thing is that on the way. you cross the Antarctic Circle...

ta374.jpg

ta375.jpg

ta378.jpg

ta379.jpg

ta380.jpg

ta386.jpg

ta387.jpg

ta389.jpg

ta391.jpg

ta393.jpg

http://www.antarctic...11/4-march-2011

Impressions of McMurdo

The American McMurdo base is the largest in Antarctica, with up to 1200 residents in the Summer. It's served by three separate airfields (which it shares with New Zealand's Scott Base), although these come and go with the seasons, according to the state of the sea ice. Power for both bases comes largely from three Kiwi-owned wind turbines.

ta258.jpg

Observation Hill (aka "Ob Hill") is on the right. The Wind turbines belong to New Zealand's Scott Base, which is just beyond the hill.

ta259.jpg

It's late season, and the ice breaker has arrived, clearing a sea channel. The Ice Runway is now closed.

ta260.jpg

ta261.jpg

ta262.jpg

The church bell actually rings!

ta264.jpg

The USGC Healy is one of three ice breakers that ply Antarctic waters.

ta266.jpg

Discovery Hut. This is a hut that was used by Scott on an early expedition, but it is not the famous "Scott's Hut".

ta267.jpg

Smile!

ta297.jpg

Note the engine warmers on the Herc.

ta299.jpg

Mt Erebus is an active volcano (you can see the smoke if you get up close)

ta338.jpg

Landing on the Ice Runway

ta342v.jpg

all the terminal buildings are mobile. When the airport closes in late season, they just pack up and drive off to Pegasus Field...

ta347.jpg

This is my little Twotter farm in the corner of the airstrip!

Great shots mate! I didn't think much of this addon wen it was first mentioned but I have to admit you have sold it well!

It looks great and people with AH could start a food haulage business there delivering to all the bases :)

Superb shots and I would love a close up on that yellow sign in you post made at 12:02 screenshot 11 - does it say distances and locations of the world or something else?