Well its at least a day since I had an FSX query so here's the latest installment.

For some time now my atc sound level has been quite low and I can hardly hear what they are saying. I've tried adjusting the various sound settings but nothing seems to change. I'm assuming the voice sound level is the one I need though I have tried messing with the other sliders. My sound comes from onboard ASUS Motherboard which I've tried in the "default device" and "speakers" settings.

Any ideas or indeed suggestions for the slider settings?

In broad terms, there are two places to work on this, in the Windows Control Panel where all the global audio settings are and then in FS under Top-Line -> Options -> Sound where you'll have separate sliders for various things. In FSX one is for voice.

My recommendation would be to center all the sliders except voice - turn that all the way down. Go to Windows and adjust the global sliders so your cockpit, engine sounds, etc. are about right with their FS sliders more or less in the center of their range. Then adjust the Voice Slider in FS up to whatever level sounds right to you.

It's not unusual to have to tweak the engine sounds slider in FS in particular for different aircraft.

John

Thanks again John for the suggestions. I've tried setting the sliders as you indicated but to no avail I'm afraid. It doesn't seem to matter what I do nothing seems to impact on the voice level other than I know I can switch it off altogether by unchecking it. Following your instruction I did manage to get a better general sound level in FSX but I can still barely hear the ATC.

I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue with onboard sound but it would be unusual for it to be just effecting the voice sounds!

Another puzzler I'm afraid.

Do you have any add-on ATC stuff going on - Radar Contact; VOXATC? Anything like that?

John

No, just standard FSX ATC - could there be something in the fsx.cfg file to check? Having said that I've checked the main settings for sound and they are fine.

I'm stumped. I would think any hardware issue or global settings issue would affect all the sound streams in FS, not just voice. Do the individual things in FS (engine, etc.) respond separately to their FSX slider settings?

I'd have to suggest a google search on "FSX Sound ATC" or something like that, or posting a query at FSDevelopers.com (those guys are very good - some can do long division in their head - in hexadecimal). Others may have had a problem and left us a trail of bread crumbs after they found the solution.

How about FS2 Crew or any other add-ons or complex aircraft that provide cockpit voices - any of those in your installation?

John

I'm stumped. I would think any hardware issue or global settings issue would affect all the sound streams in FS, not just voice. Do the individual things in FS (engine, etc.) respond separately to their FSX slider settings?

I'd have to suggest a google search on "FSX Sound ATC" or something like that, or posting a query at FSDevelopers.com (those guys are very good - some can do long division in their head - in hexadecimal). Others may have had a problem and left us a trail of bread crumbs after they found the solution.

How about FS2 Crew or any other add-ons or complex aircraft that provide cockpit voices - any of those in your installation?

John

The only thing I can think of is I do have the A2A Simulations B17 which has a crew which pass messages during a flight - their voices though are perfectly fine. I don't know if there is a setting in that aircraft that may be having an impact on FSX sound.

The couple of google hits I had on this problem have been to do with changing the sound device (which I've tried) and a check box in windows sound on the communications tab (which wasn't an issue for me)

I tried a generating a new fsx.cfg file and that doesn't change anything either.

I'm stumped.

Ditto

I had this problem a while ago and found that when I had unplugged a USB device and plugged another one in the sound settings went haywire. The sound which normally came through my speakers was being sent a full blast through the headset. As the headset and speakers are near each other it took a while to fathom it out!

Don't know if this will be of any help, but I dumped my Asus sound drivers that came with my board a long time ago (mainly because half the sound was missing from BF BC2 ) I got the updated driver versions for my board from this site http://www.via.com.tw/en/ they are the people who make the drivers for Asus (on my board anyway!).

Have a look to see if they have some for your board, but don't start deleting anything untill your sure you have the right one's ;) .

Cheer's...Graham...

I'm not sure how relevant this is to your problem, and my memory is a bit hazey about this, but one of the good things about FSX is it will support two separate sound device's ... IE: onboard sound + a dedicated soundcard, or dedicated or onboard sound + a USB sound device like USB headphones.

I've never actually tried it myself but heard it can work if you dedicate voice to say the USB headset and have external sounds like engine ETC going through your speakers from the onboard sound or dedicated soundcard.

It was probably meant for voice with VATSIM though ... I've never tried VATSIM, but its on my bucket list of things to do :)

For sure with Just Flights rescue mission add-on I found I had to at least adjust the sliders for voice louder and engine lower to finish one of their missions ... or have text ... you can also have text for ATC in a separate window too, on a second LCD if you have one ... the FSX std ATC voices are pretty monotone.

Just some idea's.