helicopter rotor blades tilting?

Im new to the rotorcraft so please be gentle :)

In real life (and I'm sure in sim too) I see the rotorblades tilting forward but the actual cabin remains level.

How if possible is this achieved in FSX?

Also I'm looking for another chopper to get - any recommendations?

Cheers

Jim

Welcome to real simming, Jim! Rotor-craft are undoubtedly the most immersive of virtual aircraft - and a b*tch to fly...

The main rotor shaft tilts in autogyro's and VTOL aircraft with tilt-rotors (Boeing V22 Osprey, etc). Rotors on helicopters don't actually tilt, but the equivalent effect is created by the swash plate, controlled by the cyclic. This mechanism creates an unequal lift over the 360 degrees of the blade rotation - push the cyclic forward and the rotor blades 'bite' harder (increased angle of attack) in the rear rotational area and the entire aircraft tils forward to accelerate in this direction. Same applies for left, right and rear directions.

The FSX flight dynamics approximate to this effect - but without the torque induced yaw characteristic (TIY), thus are easier to 'fly' but less realistic than desired.

Aerosoft's Huey-X is very good, but the Dodo-SIm Bell 206B is possibly the most realistically modelled helicopter for FSX. Both augment the flight dynamics outside the air file.

X-Plane 10 is reputed to be better than FSX for helicopter flight dynamics.

Have a go with the default R-22 in the FSX (Mission) helicopter Tutorials and see how you get on. Good Luck!

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Cheers, I can fly them but want to dig a little deeper - I have the nemeth EC135 that I like. I was thinking about the huey but read that after lifting off it spins in circles? I might have a look at the dodo

Thanks,

I would recommend dodo as I have spent alot of time flying in and being around both Jetrangers and Longrangers for real and flying the dodo B206 is very much like the real thing. It looks and sounds great , also handles very well. Like all helicopters they will go out of control very quickly as I am sure you know already, when you take your eyes off the ball. This baby will always have a place in my hanger. Love it.

UKJim.....go to www.avsim.com or www.flightsim.com and download a huey for it is the easiest heli to control and once you get used to flying it go on to other heli's and you will see what i mean. I fly huey's quite often and its a pleasure to handle. I have somewhere around 15 different hueys/configerations.

Jay

May have to do just that :) I love the Nemeth Designs EC135 - that handles really well too!